V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,111 of 23,366

Quote:
Anyone know if its possible to make the three in-line media buttons work with an amp between my iPod and headphones? I really love the functionality of those buttons.

Plug the 3-button cable into your iPod like you'd normally do to listen to your headphones. Plug the other end into the amp.; Use another cable, (you got the 1-button Android cable too, right?) to go from amp to headphones. Not too convenient, but it works.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,112 of 23,366
Quote:
Plug the 3-button cable into your iPod like you'd normally do to listen to your headphones. Plug the other end into the amp.; Use another cable, (you got the 1-button Android cable too, right?) to go from amp to headphones. Not too convenient, but it works.

I don't think that's what DNZGamer meant. The 3-button cable works fine as it is without having to invert or flip it, with all of the amps I've owned and with others I've demoed. He actually wants to have the 3-button functionality pass through the Amp straight to the iPhone so that even if he's using an amp, he can stop/start/FF or pick up calls.

That requires some serious modification to the amp which to me is not possible.

Amps usually plug in to the bottom of the phone via the dock connection. Whereas 3 button functionality is usually at the top of the iPhone's headphone jack. I'm not certain if the iPhone dock connection at the bottom has a connector signal for the 3 button functionality. I -do- know that the dock connection can give full control to an external device (like a car stereo that's iPod compatible). But that is full control such as album search, track listing, etc. and phone control - not just partial 3-button stop/start/FF and call pickup/hangups.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,113 of 23,366

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think that's what DNZGamer meant. The 3-button cable works fine as it is without having to invert or flip it, with all of the amps I've owned and with others I've demoed. He actually wants to have the 3-button functionality pass through the Amp straight to the iPhone so that even if he's using an amp, he can stop/start/FF or pick up calls.

Amps usually plug in to the bottom of the phone via the dock connection. Whereas 3 button functionality is usually at the top of the iPhone's headphone jack. I'm not certain if the iPhone dock connection at the bottom has a connector signal for the 3 button functionality. I -do- know that the dock connection can give full control to an external device (like a car stereo that's iPod compatible). But that is full control such as album search, track listing, etc. and phone control - not just partial 3-button stop/start/FF and call pickup/hangups.

If the amp is a non-dock amp (like E5/6) you can modify the input and output (again, big modification) to work.  You literally have to change the jacks of the amp internally and re-wire it correctly (maybe even have a new logicboard:p).  It'd become a pain in the butt to do and isn't worth it.  It really depends on how its wired internally.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,114 of 23,366
I'm not familiar with the E5/6 but can visualise and guess what you mean. Yes agreed that's possible. Isn't such a setup bi-amping though?

Edit: which to me the purpose of amping an iPhone/iPod was to bypass the internal amp altogether.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,115 of 23,366

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the E5/6 but can visualise and guess what you mean. Yes agreed that's possible. Isn't such a setup bi-amping though?

Edit: which to me the purpose of amping an iPhone/iPod was to bypass the internal amp altogether.

Oh, I was talking about still using the internal amp but having the E5/E6 connected to it.  From the doc connector, it's not possible to bypass the internal amp and still use the remote and mic.  Apple doesn't have the functionality included. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,116 of 23,366

Quote:

In the spirit of making this the first "semi-open" source headphone, here is the latest M-100 MILESTONE SCHEDULE... 

2 May Tooling complete
18 May Engineering pilot (10pcs)
24 May  Reliability test 
5 Jun   Deadline of packaging development
20 Jun  Manufacturing pilot (100pcs)
30 Jun  Mass production shipment
First week of July - BLISS!

Looks like things are really starting to come along! Do you know who will be reviewing the pilot models? It would be very nice to have some early reviews of the product prior to its release.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #1,118 of 23,366
Ah, thats a shame. I really love how well it works when I directly connect the line to my iPod. Very responsive and intuitive, more so than the iPods quick controls. I wish the VAMP was for all iDevices. I don't have an iPhone and think they have pitiful batteries.

Although... I did buy my wife one so maybe I can buy a VAMP for her!

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #1,120 of 23,366

Quote:
Quote:

He didn't mention a LOD dock. I have a cMoyBB and I use my Android phone as my PMP. In order for the remote to work, you need the 45 degree jack with the three connector rings to be plugged into the phone/iPod. I'm not inverting my cable. I'm just using the 3-button cable as the connector between phone and amp and then using another cable(doesn't matter what kind, just a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable) to go from amp to V-80 and you can can control the phone with the cable that goes from amp to phone.

I mentioned both types of button cables(1-button Android and 3-button iDevice) because I'm assuming he has the M-80 which includes those two cables. I have a V-80 which comes with the 1-button Android cable and an audio only cable. No modding of the amp, no hardware tinkering. Just plug the 3-button cable into the iPod like you normally would to use it without an amp, plug the other end into the amp, use another cable to connect to the headphone. You have to use the cable that runs between the amp and and the iPod, not the one that's conveniently located near your neck. It's looks stupid, you have wires running all over the place, but it works. Trust me, that's how my set up is, although not great for portable use.

(click to enlarge)

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #1,121 of 23,366
Quote:
He didn't mention a LOD dock. I have a cMoyBB and I use my Android phone as my PMP. In order for the remote to work, you need the 45 degree jack with the three connector rings to be plugged into the phone/iPod. I'm not inverting my cable. I'm just using the 3-button cable as the connector between phone and amp and then using another cable(doesn't matter what kind, just a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable) to go from amp to V-80 and you can can control the phone with the cable that goes from amp to phone.

I mentioned both types of button cables(1-button Android and 3-button iDevice) because I'm assuming he has the M-80 which includes those two cables. I have a V-80 which comes with the 1-button Android cable and an audio only cable. No modding of the amp, no hardware tinkering. Just plug the 3-button cable into the iPod like you normally would to use it without an amp, plug the other end into the amp, use another cable to connect to the headphone. You have to use the cable that runs between the amp and and the iPod, not the one that's conveniently located near your neck. It's looks stupid, you have wires running all over the place, but it works. Trust me, that's how my set up is, although not great for portable use.

(click to enlarge)

Yes but as mentioned above for the E5/6, this is still bi-amping. I get the impression though that usually when head-fi members ask about amping iPhones/iPods/Touch it usually means bypassing the internal amp.

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #1,122 of 23,366

Quote:
Quote:

Yes but as mentioned above for the E5/6, this is still bi-amping. I get the impression though that usually when head-fi members ask about amping iPhones/iPods/Touch it usually means bypassing the internal amp.

Ahh. Okay. Not much of an Apple fan.

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,124 of 23,366
I see what you mean SpiderNhan. It kind of defeats the convenience and the portability of that button though so it would not solve my issue. Also, I do use an LOD cable, sorry if I didn't mention that.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #1,125 of 23,366
Quick question, so if I post a pic of a few broken/mangled plastic headphones to v-moda's page I can possibly get a discount on the m-100? Also if it is really good/artistic it may be a bigger discount? Count me in but I hope I can afford them, even with the discount haha. I decided to take 2 extra classes out of pocket this summer =/ but school is definitely more important than headphones... for now. =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back