V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 9, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #22,696 of 23,366

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-HD515-HD555-HD595-HD518-HD558-PC360-Headphones-/261450552321?var=&hash=item3cdfaad401:m:mLnWWNP2rBhcJ329JqSGswA

... This is a really Cool idea.... I may try with something from my wardrobe drawer...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #22,697 of 23,366
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. [COLOR=222222]I am new to the headphone game and recently got the V Moda M100's. I'm loving them so far, but I'm a total bass head. I was wondering if you guys could help me with this bass boosting question.[/COLOR]
At what point is it dangerous to bass boost? Let's say I'm using them unamped on my laptop and I have my volume at 100% with the bass boosted at a 75 or 100hz frequency with a bass boost of 12dB. Could this damage my headphones? If I'm listening to a bass heavy song for instance.

I was also wondering if there's an EQ guide of some sorts to get me started with this, because I'm kind of clueless right now and getting mixed answers from other forums... Please correct me if this is in the wrong subreddit

thanks in advance!

Figured I'd ask this on reddit and in here to get the best advice possible.
I use a cayin c5 with my modas and they have no problem handling the power that puts out. If you want bass you'll have to invest in an amp. There's just no way around it. Think in terms of car audio, same thing, no power no bass.

The 2 most recommend amps are the fiio e12 and the cayin c5. I'd go with the fiio for durability's sake. The cayin has more power and a better bass boost but it isn't the sturdiest.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #22,698 of 23,366
 Originally Posted by AceBoy95 

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. I am new to the headphone game and recently got the V Moda M100's. I'm loving them so far, but I'm a total bass head. I was wondering if you guys could help me with this bass boosting question. At what point is it dangerous to bass boost? Let's say I'm using them unamped on my laptop and I have my volume at 100% with the bass boosted at a 75 or 100hz frequency with a bass boost of 12dB. Could this damage my headphones? If I'm listening to a bass heavy song for instance.

I was also wondering if there's an EQ guide of some sorts to get me started with this, because I'm kind of clueless right now and getting mixed answers from other forums... Please correct me if this is in the wrong subreddit

thanks in advance!

I use a cayin c5 with my modas and they have no problem handling the power that puts out. If you want bass you'll have to invest in an amp. There's just no way around it. Think in terms of car audio, same thing, no power no bass.

The 2 most recommend amps are the fiio e12 and the cayin c5. I'd go with the fiio for durability's sake. The cayin has more power and a better bass boost but it isn't the sturdiest.

I'd +1 Scrappydoo's response. The E12 has bass boost (Audiophile Bass boost) switch that won't damage your M-100. Try your fav EDMs on 'em, they don't disappoint.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #22,699 of 23,366
  Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. I am new to the headphone game and recently got the V Moda M100's. I'm loving them so far, but I'm a total bass head. I was wondering if you guys could help me with this bass boosting question.
At what point is it dangerous to bass boost? Let's say I'm using them unamped on my laptop and I have my volume at 100% with the bass boosted at a 75 or 100hz frequency with a bass boost of 12dB. Could this damage my headphones? If I'm listening to a bass heavy song for instance.

thanks in advance!

Check this post. The V-Moda M-100's are #10 on the list. Watch the video of these vibrating paper. The video shows the bass effect you can get with both an amp and an EQ. Nothing coming out of your laptop is going to damage them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #22,700 of 23,366
My one complaint about the M-100's. I wish the ear cups rotate forward and back, not just up and down. I can definitely feel the pressure behind my ear is higher than the pressure in front of my ear (probably just the shape of my head). I might try to bend the headband a little to make them more comfortable for me. Thoughts?

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #22,701 of 23,366
  My one complaint about the M-100's. I wish the ear cups rotate forward and back, not just up and down. I can definitely feel the pressure behind my ear is higher than the pressure in front of my ear (probably just the shape of my head). I might try to bend the headband a little to make them more comfortable for me. Thoughts?

Thats exactly what advice V-moda gives to fix that issue. twisty-turny your way to comfort! 

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #22,702 of 23,366
I've just come back to the UK from Florida and while over there, I bought an m-100 from the Guitar Center in Orlando. (Excellent place too)

Here's a weird thing about sound perception and has got me wondering about perception and location.

In Florida, I felt that they had recessed mids and a bloated bass big time. I needed to play them loud to feel a decent 'presence'. I was in two minds about them although I loved the design from the start.

Then I read posts on here up to page 801 and still reading now. Many criticisms are based around the same issue of bass quantity and mids lacking.

Got home to the UK and they now sound more balanced........

I kind of had a hot flush in that I thought I'd bought a bargain TBH. I have no idea why my perception changed so much, except some of you might start saying .... 'Burn in'. But this was instant. Bass is still big but everything seems so well balanced with them.

I compared to my Momentum Over Ear 2, On Ear 2, and Sony MDR 1a at home. In all cases, I came back to the lush Vmoda. Closest in sound was the Momentum On Ear but it didn't have the same closeness and intimacy of the m-100. The Over Ear is very good with less bass and good clarity, but again, not as close. The Sony doesn't seem to get close in sound quality whereas I felt that it was really good before.

The Vmoda gives a real closeness in its delivery with a fruity bass but the change I felt is puzzling.

I'm now wondering whether it must be something to do with height above sea level/humidity/temperature? If so, it sounds better in the UK - or that's what I'm used to? I'm quite puzzled by this since I'd never noticed effects like this before except in planes, since I'm a retired musician.

So Val has actually done an amazing job with these IMO and they are a really good musician's headphone in the way that they portray music. They're close, proper bass, amazing imaging and have fast become one of my favourite portable headphones.

I think it would be difficult to find much better than this at the price.

Btw, the hype and number of posts on here before it actually came out was amazing!!! :wink:

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #22,703 of 23,366
I've just come back to the UK from Florida and while over there, I bought an m-100 from the Guitar Center in Orlando. (Excellent place too)

Here's a weird thing about sound perception and has got me wondering about perception and location.

In Florida, I felt that they had recessed mids and a bloated bass big time. I needed to play them loud to feel a decent 'presence'. I was in two minds about them although I loved the design from the start.

Then I read posts on here up to page 801 and still reading now. Many criticisms are based around the same issue of bass quantity and mids lacking.

Got home to the UK and they now sound more balanced........

I kind of had a hot flush in that I thought I'd bought a bargain TBH. I have no idea why my perception changed so much, except some of you might start saying .... 'Burn in'. But this was instant. Bass is still big but everything seems so well balanced with them.

I compared to my Momentum Over Ear 2, On Ear 2, and Sony MDR 1a at home. In all cases, I came back to the lush Vmoda. Closest in sound was the Momentum On Ear but it didn't have the same closeness and intimacy of the m-100. The Over Ear is very good with less bass and good clarity, but again, not as close. The Sony doesn't seem to get close in sound quality whereas I felt that it was really good before.

The Vmoda gives a real closeness in its delivery with a fruity bass but the change I felt is puzzling.

I'm now wondering whether it must be something to do with height above sea level/humidity/temperature? If so, it sounds better in the UK - or that's what I'm used to? I'm quite puzzled by this since I'd never noticed effects like this before except in planes, since I'm a retired musician.

So Val has actually done an amazing job with these IMO and they are a really good musician's headphone in the way that they portray music. They're close, proper bass, amazing imaging and have fast become one of my favourite portable headphones.

I think it would be difficult to find much better than this at the price.

Btw, the hype and number of posts on here before it actually came out was amazing!!! :wink:

You didn't change to xl pads by any chance

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #22,704 of 23,366
Well, by page 825, the pads were being designed by Val!! :wink:

I did consider them but actually, the standard pads are fine for me TBH. I have worn them for quite extended periods with no pain and I do like their sound as they are a lot. In fact, they are better than I first thought and the bass hasn't worn me down at all!!! It's hefty, but the rest gets through it and it doesn't actually take other stuff out anything like I thought that it would from what I was reading.

I prefer them to my Momentum 2 actually, purely for the depth of sound it gives, but I've also felt that the stereo imaging is very precise and the sound seems closer than the Senn which places you a bit further back by comparison.

Of all my portables, I like the Momentum but it hasn't got the bass power that the m-100 delivers.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #22,705 of 23,366
It sounded like you might have changed to XL pads because it changes the sound the way you described, also putting more breaking in time tends to slightly decrease bass and increase treble, I personally really like my m-100s they are more balanced than other people say (maybe there m-100s weren't broken in)

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #22,707 of 23,366
I personally really like my m-100s they are more balanced than other people say (maybe there m-100s weren't broken in)

I do as well. I have a large collection of headphones and only bought theses to 'try' in order to get another reference 'house' sound but I've enjoyed them so much that I am beginning to use them as a first choice for portable listening. Really good with an O2 for some readon and that's an amp that I perhaps use less than others due to its tendency to sound quite cool. Really good match with the m-100.

Normally, I'd be using the Momentum Over Ears II or and mdr 1a, but I feel that the V-moda is a nicer listen TBH.

Fit for me is not an issue at all and I can wear them for long periods.

As for the bass 'breaking in' .... I'm not sure, or whether I've just become accustomed to it. They certainly 'seem' more balanced to me now.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #22,708 of 23,366
I do as well. I have a large collection of headphones and only bought theses to 'try' in order to get another reference 'house' sound but I've enjoyed them so much that I am beginning to use them as a first choice for portable listening. Really good with an O2 for some readon and that's an amp that I perhaps use less than others due to its tendency to sound quite cool. Really good match with the m-100.

Normally, I'd be using the Momentum Over Ears II or and mdr 1a, but I feel that the V-moda is a nicer listen TBH.

Fit for me is not an issue at all and I can wear them for long periods.

As for the bass 'breaking in' .... I'm not sure, or whether I've just become accustomed to it. They certainly 'seem' more balanced to me now.

Did you use an amp or a different amp in florida? When I purchased my Cayin c5 dac/amp, my soundscape opened up a lot.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #22,709 of 23,366
No. I went straight out from a Fiio DAP. Also tried it at home the same way and then from an O2 and Fiio E12a. Finally from a Polaris and an Aune dac/amp.

The O2 seemed to match really well with it. A bit cleaner I think. Normally, I'm not that keen on the O2 since for me, it often lacks a little 'life' in its sound, but it's good with the V-Moda.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #22,710 of 23,366
No. I went straight out from a Fiio DAP. Also tried it at home the same way and then from an O2 and Fiio E12a. Finally from a Polaris and an Aune dac/amp.

The O2 seemed to match really well with it. A bit cleaner I think. Normally, I'm not that keen on the O2 since for me, it often lacks a little 'life' in its sound, but it's good with the V-Moda.

Well I am glad it worked out for you. I love my M100's as well. Every time I try something like "I wonder if these will sound better" they end up going back to amazon :D I cant even find anything to keep as a backup. V-moda customer service is great too. I had issues with my first set and they had me a new one faster than they could e-mail me and tell me it was coming (which was a surprise to get in the mail when I thought I would be waiting weeks.)  

The e12 with bass boost and high gain on is pretty similar to how I listen to mine. Now I am also a basshead so I like my set bouncing on my head, its like simulating being in a car with some good subs (which is my audio backround; basshead). Though that is not how most people listen to these I dont think. I can rarely get these to distort, im sure my ears will damage before these drivers do.

If you e-mail their tech support, they usually will send questions like yours to their engineers and tech's to answer the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back