V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #18,646 of 23,366
 I miss some of the bass for stuff like Juno Reactor but I'm not weirded-out -- weird-outed? -- when the guitar rock comes on. Six of one....

Yeah. This is why I'm waiting for the Digizoid ZO3. The M100s can take an INSANE level of bass boost, so I'd like to have a nice mini amp that can let me adjust on the fly depending on genre.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #18,647 of 23,366
I've went ahead and ordered the Fiio E6 for use with my phone and the M-100's. We'll see if that makes any difference at all.

I have the E5 which is the E6 revised.I tried it with the M100 and it didn't do much at all.Just not enough power to make a difference.But if you have IEMs then its worth the purchase.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #18,648 of 23,366
Well, actually, they do. That's what "V-shaped" and "U-shaped" FR curves mean, and M-100 has a V-shaped curve out of the box. It isn't as deep as some serious bass-heavy cans like Crossfade LP. What you may not be accustomed to is how clear the midrange is with M-100 given that bass-heavy headphones tend to drown out the midrange. M-100 doesn't do that. Me, coming from very neutral, very detailed headphones (KRK KNS-8400), I'm confident writing that M-100 is quite detailed although it's not as unforgiving of dirty sources as the KRK's.

Coming from the KRK's I found the depth of the V to be a bit overwhelming. Hearing stuff like Iron Maiden that way was weird, the bass and cymbals in my face while the guitars and vocals were back near the drum kit. That lead me to experiment with tape mods on the bass ports until I found something that I like for daily use. I miss some of the bass for stuff like Juno Reactor but I'm not weirded-out -- weird-outed? -- when the guitar rock comes on. Six of one....

I might have worded it wrongly, but before I begin. Yes you are absolutely correct, I was not expecting the mids to be this clear out of the M100's. The bass is very deep, and your second point is that they're not as bass heavy like the Crossfade LP. I never listenned to the LP's so I wouldn't know, but I was definitely expecting a further mids recession.

Am I disappointed as an "audiophile"? Not at all, these are actually a great replacement to my Sony MDR-1R Mk2's, they're sleek and EVERYTHING seem built like a tank. Even the drivers seem like tanks, it can push out SO MUCH bass quantity without even distorting. (Well the mids distort, but that's to be expected.)

I'm giving my ears a break so I'm not very sure what you mean by the odd soundstage, I'd like to comment that the M100's like to hard pan center, left and right. I'll get back to that.

Edit: Yep, vocals are clear, but they're at the back. What? Not sure how I should feel about this, but I like it, it's different from my regular set of headphones. 
blink.gif

My A900x has a centric vocal area in the soundstage, Q701's are fairly upfront, and the M100's are at the back. Interesting.

The best thing about these is you really can EQ and amp them to be just STUPID booming. They come out the box with wonderfully deep and present bass, but slap an e11 or something on it, turn up the bass, then sit back and lament the fact that you can only blow your eardrums out once in your life.

This was the 2nd thing I did when I got them. E11, Bass boost on, +20db bass boost on my sony walkman.

My ears were numb after a ten minute session.

THIS ISN'T JUST STUPID BOOMING.

I was close to tears of how beautiful the bass is, and only the mids from the Q701's can do that to me.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #18,649 of 23,366
This was the 2nd thing I did when I got them. E11, Bass boost on, +20db bass boost on my sony walkman.

My ears were numb after a ten minute session.

THIS ISN'T JUST STUPID BOOMING.

I was close to tears of how beautiful the bass is, and only the mids from the Q701's can do that to me.

Yeah. I'm curious to get a ZO3 though so the boost can be tuned more than just 0-1-2. All I know is that on the 1 setting on the E11 it's plenty. I tried it on setting 2 and it was actually too much, LOL.

But the part that amazed me, more than anything, is that it never distorted even in the slightest. Crystal clear even while the bass was cranked FAR beyond it should have been. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #18,651 of 23,366
Would you mind describing and/or posting a picture of your bass port mod? Did you just tape over them or was it a more involved mod? I'm also interested in tempering the bass (just the slightest bit) to bring out the mids a little more.

Just some porous tape on the insides of the shields to cover the ports once I settled on how many layers I wanted to use. There are some photos in my gallery. Look for the white ports.

Another reader posted some photos of a different version (different kind of tape) last week.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #18,653 of 23,366
Was taking off my stock pads to put on my new XL pads and noticed a pretty sizable crack in one of the ear cups of my m100's, has anyone else seen anything like this? the crack is hard to see in a picture bit it is that white looking line coming from the top left corner of the shield.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #18,654 of 23,366
  Was taking off my stock pads to put on my new XL pads and noticed a pretty sizable crack in one of the ear cups of my m100's, has anyone else seen anything like this? the crack is hard to see in a picture bit it is that white looking line coming from the top left corner of the shield.

Whoa. That sounds like the kinda thing V-MODA should help you out with.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #18,655 of 23,366

A friend of mine has the Matte Black M-100, which he only uses in his office and no where else, and he found some cracks in the cups after a few months. It seems like most of the random problems people have (sound quality, cracks) are with the Matte Black ones.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #18,656 of 23,366
Feb 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #18,657 of 23,366
Earlier I was on here talking about how my matte black M-100's were not performing as well as the shadow version I used to have. Well I am glad I decided not to send them back because they have turned a complete 180. Call it burn-in, magic or whatever you want but these things are beasts now. The bass is exactly what I remember from the shadows. 

I received my Sandisk clip sport last night and it is a beautiful combination with these cans. When I combined these with my cheapo FiiO e5 I was in heaven. I'm sure there are better combinations out there, but probably none as cheap. 

I am getting my XL pads in tomorrow so I can't wait to try those as well.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #18,659 of 23,366
I sprung for overnight shipping on the XL pads and my custom shields. Can't wait until they get in, I'm curious if they'll actually increase the bass response like people said. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #18,660 of 23,366
  I sprung for overnight shipping on the XL pads and my custom shields. Can't wait until they get in, I'm curious if they'll actually increase the bass response like people said. 

Don't get your hopes up.  It just changes the tone a bit.  I actually like how they put some distance between your ear and the driver so you don't get that weird "air moving around your ear" feeling.  That annoys me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back