V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #18,361 of 23,366
  I have a little brother who will grab my headphones and blow a party horn in my ear... I'd rather not have him tug a wire.

Although should I worry? I've heard these are tanks anyway.

Wear a hoodie?

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #18,362 of 23,366
Clamping force can be reduced by the simple expedient of flattening the band a bit. Don't worry. If you break it then you've found a rare manufacturing defect.

M-100's drivers have no appreciable break-in period.

I'm not going to bend the headband at all. I'm coming from Shure SRH840's which are very loose. I'll get used to it. As an aside, I wonder how many of the reports of broken wing-plates were actually caused by people tried to expand the headband but Did so by holding the ear-cups while doing so? Just a thought.

Careful, not that you are going to break them but if you bend them the wrong way you end up with end up with more of a rainbow shape to the band opposed to a "u" shaped v almost that is there from the factory. Space your hands out when gripping the band.

How's the durability of the wire between the earcup and the headband? I avoided headphones like these because I fear of a hook suddenly snagging the wire.

My Shures have the driver wires exposed in exactly the same way. I've owned them since they were released and never had a problem. Mind you, there are no youngsters in the house.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #18,363 of 23,366
As an aside, I wonder how many of the reports of broken wing-plates were actually caused by people tried to expand the headband but Did so by holding the ear-cups while doing so? Just a thought.

Not mine.
wink.gif
I'd done no headband bending at all, and my M-100s still wound up with a mysterious hairline wingplate crack.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #18,364 of 23,366
I just cut up and re-terminated the shareplay cable that came with my M100.

The stock TRRS connector kept triggering the headphone disconnect detection on my Fiio X3 at the slightest movement.

So I cut it up and used a Neutrik 90° TRS jack to create a no nonsense audiocable. I will re-terminate the left over bit of cable with a female jack, so I can still use it as a headphone splitter.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #18,365 of 23,366
Some observations...

First off, why did I buy these? I recently bought a pair of Soundmagic E30 IEM's and they're great but what a hassle getting them to fit and seal right, even with Comply's. I want something I can just throw on and forget about. I also wanted closed cans because open cans just don't work outside. My Shures are closed of course but they're far too bulky and unwieldy for portable use. Like many I looked at the Momentums' but they're too flash for this middle-aged man. I'm also frankly tired of Sennheiser. Every pair I've ever owned have been accurate and well recommended and, ultimately? Boring. I was looking for something fun, something which would, if only occasionally, make me go wow!

I have read just about every thread on these headphones and some of the things people say just don't make sense. My ears are near on 50 years old though so maybe I'm tone deaf, lol. Anyway, the massive bass? Not really. There's a lot more than I'm used to but it certainly is controlled. I don't find it bleeding into the mids at all. Someone said miles ago in this thread that the soundstage placed the listener on the drum kit with guitars to the left and right and vocals dead in front. I totally agree. It's as if I'm in the band. Very unusual but I actually like it.

All tracks (except one) are flac files and the source is my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Neutron MP. EQ has been given a very slight drop in the bass and a similar increase in mids. I'll work on this as I become familiar with these cans. I generally try to run with no EQ but an early test showed it was going to be necessary, at least to my ears. Dither is used a small amount of Crossford.

As ever with this sort of thing this is purely my opinion, nothing more. The only empirical data I have is that I've heard these tracks a thousand times through loads of different pieces of equipment. The musical choices go some way to demonstrate my taste but there's a lot I'll come to later. My music collection is currently sitting at around 76,000 tracks, 95% of which are in flac format. My previous headphones have been many and varied. Off the top of my head I remember my very first pair: Beyerdynamic D330's, Sennheiser Ovation, Sony MDR-CD3000, Sennheiser HD595, Sennheiser IE6...

Anyway, to the meat...

Patricia Barber - Café Blue (any album really, they're all superb).

The bass here is near perfect. More importantly, this is a complex jazz album and all the instruments are in place. Nothing over-rides anything else. Drums in particular though are superb! Timing is another area which has surprised me. It's generally spot-on. That's no mean feat in a closed headphone design. Generally you'll hear colouration caused by the driver housings but on these I can't detect any colouration at all. Bear in mind that I'm talking about a studio five piece jazz band here and not Rammstein. There's also an immense amount of detail here. More than the Shures present and that's a surprise. Another surprise is Patricia's voice. Wow! I can hear every subtle nuance and every breath.

Russian Circles-Geneva.

I said earlier about drums having weight, well, they weigh tons here. The track Harper Lewis is a good test of dynamics and these cans deliver in spades. I find that even on my car stereo (Alpine Type-R throughout, 1200W to the components and 680W to the sub) this album can lose its sense of direction. It's not perfect through these cans either but it holds up very well. I'm impressed. I won't dwell on this album because my only copy is 320kbps MP3 and it's not really good enough.

Röyksopp - Senior

Specifically a track called The Alcoholic. OMG! Is it cool for someone nearly half a century old to use that expression? Who cares. This is a fabulous tune that no other headphone I've ever heard does justice to but this sounds like syrup. Liquid mids accompanied by a low, low bass and tremendous background details. There's just a hint of bleed from the upper bass but on my Shures there was no upper bass so... This will be my track to test if there is any appreciable driver burn-in. I should point out right now that when it comes to burn-in I'm a sceptic. I can understand it in loudspeakers as the drivers are so much larger and all mechanical devices need worn in but I sincerely doubt it can be heard on headphones. I do believe in brain burn-in though and I reckon that's what most people are hearing. Next track up, from the same album is The Drug. There's a helluva lot of weight to the bass through these cans when it's called for and this track ably demonstrates this. It's very easy for the light percussion which accompanies the bass to be swallowed up but it's not happening here. Again, the timing is perfect. Zero upper bass bleed either, phenomenal. The Soundstage is a problem sometimes though. It's compact, being polite. On the next track, Forsaken Cowboy, there's definitely some bleed. Having said that I've never heard this album sound so good so it's possible it's mastered this way in the studio. Loudspeakers in a large well-damped room would prove that one way or the other. Time for a change of pace...

My Morning Jacket - Circuital

This band are always a tough test for any audio equipment. The mix is always very dense and busy, with loads going on in all directions. What makes it difficult to reproduce cleanly is that there's always a low male vocal line threading through the mix. I'm pleased to say it doesn't get lost here as it does on the Shures and every other pair of headphones I've heard. Impressive. The bass and drums still retain their dynamism even on crescendos too. No mean feat. I'm really liking these cans for vocals, which is surprising considering all I'd read previously.

Leftfield - Leftism

I knew this was going to work well with the V-moda's. The bass drops through the floor on Original. No bleed, very little enclosure colouration and gorgeous liquid mids. Stunning!

Joe Henry - Civiliand

This is a surprise. It's not the best produced album in the world but the vocals are easy to follow and again, everything is in its place. Joe Henry's a strange one. Far more talented than he gets credit for but, I think because he sounds so much like Tom Waits, he's so often overlooked. Civilians is a terrific album though and we'll worth an hour of anyone's time.

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

One track specifically, Emmylou. I'm a sucker for harmonies and these girls do it so well. A common fault on this track though is that it often sounds like they ran out of money and had to send the bass player home. It's kinda the same here too if I'm honest. There is bass but it's in another room. I've no idea what they were thinking.

Getting near the end of this early appraisal, bear with me.

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

One track - The Underdog

I love this tracks because of the way it builds, slowly, one instrument at a time. Perfect for highlighting colouration. And it sounds good. Very energetic which isn't always the case on some equipment. As an aside, check out the video on YouTube. The whole thing was shot in one take. Amazing.

Younger Brother - The Last Days of Gravity.

This is the kind of music everyone on this forum claims this headphone works well with. Well, they're not wrong. Dynamic, lucid, great timing (again). Great demo album.

And finally...

Yann Thiersen - Amélie (soundtrack)

This whole soundtrack is spectacular! Authentic old instruments, hard-panned left & right, all building to tremendous crescendos. It's the kind of music that makes me wish I could play an instrument. You can sense the buzz the players must be feeling. Having said that the stand-out track, at least for me, is Comptine D'un Autre Été: L'apres Midi. It's a solo piano as far as I know. It could be two pianos or one piano and two players, no idea. It's fantastic. And better still these headphones seem to take it in their stride. Incredible.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far. I'll do another as (if) the sound changes if you guys think I'm any good at this. This is my first attempt but I thought it was time I tried to give something back to one of the very best communities on the Internet :wink:

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #18,366 of 23,366
Great impressions.
My M100's will be on the way in a few days. :)

Earlier you mentioned having the LP2's.
How are they compared to the M100's?

The frequency curve is pretty similar.
For reference, I like the way the LP2's sound, so I imagine I'll like the M100's.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #18,367 of 23,366
Are there any aftermarket 3.5mm cables that are known to go well with the M100's? I've searched and come up with nothing but this huge thread. I'm trying to find a braided cable with a light blue color and black plugs. Reps for any help this.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #18,368 of 23,366
Feb 6, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #18,369 of 23,366
Are there any aftermarket 3.5mm cables that are known to go well with the M100's? I've searched and come up with nothing but this huge thread. I'm trying to find a braided cable with a light blue color and black plugs. Reps for any help this.

On a similar note... Does anyone know of a good quality 1/8" / 3.5mm DIY jack that fits the recessed receptacle of the M100 properly?
A modded shareplay cable is a step in the right direction, but I'd rather build a complete replacement cable from scratch...

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #18,370 of 23,366

On a similar note... Does anyone know of a good quality 1/8" / 3.5mm DIY jack that fits the recessed receptacle of the M100 properly?
A modded shareplay cable is a step in the right direction, but I'd rather build a complete replacement cable from scratch...

Just get one of those iPhone jack extensions and it should work.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #18,371 of 23,366
  Just get one of those iPhone jack extensions and it should work.

Why would I want to use a jack extension when I'll be making a custom cable?
confused_face_2.gif

Making something that fits seems a lot more logical to me than making something that doesn't fit and then using an extension to make it fit... Or am I just being weird now?
biggrin.gif

Seems like something like this:

might work...

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #18,372 of 23,366
I am not say you keep the extension, I am just saying that you can use the plug end for your cables to ensure fit, as those adapter's plug tend to be very slim.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #18,373 of 23,366
I've been laid up this last two weeks with a slipped disk in my back. Today I got out for my first walk with the dogs and had the opportunity to take the M-100's for a walk too. This is after all why I bought them. They were fantastic! One benefit of having so much bass in the headphone is that it's not lost when out in the open air as so often happens with other cans. I also like their low profile and again, this works to their advantage whilst out walking as they felt incredibly secure on my head.

People have complained about so many things in these headphones -

1. Uncomfortable headband - not for me. To be honest I've never felt any headband to be uncomfortable.

2. Ear cups are too shallow - not for me. Maybe I'm lucky but I have no problems with them.

3. Ear cup openings not large enough - nope, no problems for me.

4. Cable microphonics - again, no problems here.

5. Sensitive to wind noise - yes, maybe just a tad. Not as bad as some other cans I've used in the past.

6. Only good for EDM - to my ears this is nonsense. It's probably their optimum music but I have listened to jazz, Americana, folk and pop and think they're superb at all.

I bought these because I wanted something I'd really look forward to using and they've ticked all those boxes for me. I have no doubt they don't measure well, that they're not "accurate". You know what? These are the single most enjoyable headphones I've ever owned. Job done Val.

Now, what would I like to change. I'd perhaps like to look into upgrading the cable. I'm not really a fan of these braided cables and I've just spotted a mod by someone using a lime green coiled cable, lovely. You know who you are. I'm also interested in modding the enclosures with Dynamat. But the big one, for me anyway?

I want a new portable DAC/Amp. I don't use an iPhone (God forbid) but a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 instead and so it's not as simple as it might be. Once I've read all of the info on the M-100's I can find on Head-Fi I've already bookmarked the "Android thread". I believe a better DAC could bring huge rewards, certainly more than by using an amp alone.

I'm very happy with these headphones. Val has done an incredible job. The community too has played a big part in this. I've seen some crazy comparisons - people wanting the same levels of comfort and "air" as the HD 650 for instance. Get a grip! This is a closed headphone intended to be sturdy enough for portable use and able to be well driven by an average mobile device. The HD650 can do none of these things.

I'm rambling, sorry.

Thanks for all the help and advice people have given me here. It's genuinely very much appreciated.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #18,374 of 23,366
I've been laid up this last two weeks with a slipped disk in my back. Today I got out for my first walk with the dogs and had the opportunity to take the M-100's for a walk too. This is after all why I bought them. They were fantastic! One benefit of having so much bass in the headphone is that it's not lost when out in the open air as so often happens with other cans. I also like their low profile and again, this works to their advantage whilst out walking as they felt incredibly secure on my head.

People have complained about so many things in these headphones -

1. Uncomfortable headband - not for me. To be honest I've never felt any headband to be uncomfortable.

2. Ear cups are too shallow - not for me. Maybe I'm lucky but I have no problems with them.

3. Ear cup openings not large enough - nope, no problems for me.

4. Cable microphonics - again, no problems here.

5. Sensitive to wind noise - yes, maybe just a tad. Not as bad as some other cans I've used in the past.

6. Only good for EDM - to my ears this is nonsense. It's probably their optimum music but I have listened to jazz,

Americana, folk and pop and think they're superb at all.

I bought these because I wanted something I'd really look forward to using and they've ticked all those boxes for me. I have no doubt they don't measure well, that they're not "accurate". You know what? These are the single most enjoyable headphones I've ever owned. Job done Val.

Now, what would I like to change. I'd perhaps like to look into upgrading the cable. I'm not really a fan of these braided cables and I've just spotted a mod by someone using a lime green coiled cable, lovely. You know who you are. I'm also interested in modding the enclosures with Dynamat. But the big one, for me anyway?

I want a new portable DAC/Amp. I don't use an iPhone (God forbid) but a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 instead and so it's not as simple as it might be. Once I've read all of the info on the M-100's I can find on Head-Fi I've already bookmarked the "Android thread". I believe a better DAC could bring huge rewards, certainly more than by using an amp alone.

I'm very happy with these headphones. Val has done an incredible job. The community too has played a big part in this. I've seen some crazy comparisons - people wanting the same levels of comfort and "air" as the HD 650 for instance. Get a grip! This is a closed headphone intended to be sturdy enough for portable use and able to be well driven by an average mobile device. The HD650 can do none of these things.

I'm rambling, sorry.

Thanks for all the help and advice people have given me here. It's genuinely very much appreciated.

I agree on all your points.Especially complaints about this headphone being only capable of excelling with electronic music only.Which is pure nonsense. Good quality rock(classic,metal....) music files sound fantastic with a good source.Any presumed short comings can be rectified also with a favourite amp.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #18,375 of 23,366
I really don't think the M100 improves THAT much w/ an amp...especially anything in the lower end <$250.  I really want to give the JDS Labs C5D a try with mine...but it just seems risky at that price w/ a poor return policy (buyer pays all shipping and 15% restocking fee).  But from a e07k, e17, e12, bh2, etc...the change is minimal.  These things are just efficient as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back