V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #18,346 of 23,366
Has anyone tried tuning the sound with after-market cables? I haven't read anything to that effect but it might work.

I've been using the FiiO RC-MH1 cable and it's worked out pretty well more or less. I just wrote a review on it.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-rc-mh1-headphone-upgrade-cable/reviews/10425

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #18,347 of 23,366
Thanks for the input guys. I see that Fiio cable uses Furukawa cable. Many, many years ago I won a competition in Hi-Fi Choice magazine and the prize was a three year subscription and a set of Furukawa cables. I got six metres of speaker cable fully terminated and one metre interconnect. If I remember rightly they were one of the very first to claim direction mattered. It caused quite a stir at the time, lol. The speaker cables were good but they're sadly long gone. I still have the interconnects though and they're still among the best I've ever heard.

I think I'll give the Fiio implementation a miss though as I'm not impressed with the build and the improvements I was looking for would have been to the mid-range rather than bass and treble (based on what others have said thus far and not any personal experience). Great review though Miceblue, kudos.

I should receive my pair tomorrow and I'm feeling like a kid at Christmas.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #18,348 of 23,366
Glad you're having fun. I guess I should have said older recordings.

Lol... Actually it was a recording from the late 60s early 70s :wink:

And the Fiio cables are usually excellent value for money. But I don't like the crazy long connector on the earcup side.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #18,349 of 23,366
I think I'll give the Fiio implementation a miss though as I'm not impressed with the build and the improvements I was looking for would have been to the mid-range rather than bass and treble (based on what others have said thus far and not any personal experience). Great review though Miceblue, kudos.

Fiio is reasonably good bang for the buck. I mean, OFE copper is OFE copper regardless of how it's extruded.

If you want more mid-range out of M-100 then you need to reduce the bass range. Either EQ or reducing airflow through the bass ports will accomplish this.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #18,350 of 23,366
Lol... Actually it was a recording from the late 60s early 70s :wink:

And the Fiio cables are usually excellent value for money. But I don't like the crazy long connector on the earcup side.

OK then, recorded in a small 60's studio is what I was getting at :wink:

Aye, the Fiio cable is alright but there's not much wrong with the original cable in the first place.

Fiio is reasonably good bang for the buck. I mean, OFE copper is OFE copper regardless of how it's extruded.

If you want more mid-range out of M-100 then you need to reduce the bass range. Either EQ or reducing airflow through the bass ports will accomplish this.

This is true and it's possible that an aftermarket cable could be produced which would do exactly that. Unfortunately, from Miceblue's review, the Fiio doesn't do that.

Guys I haven't even got my pair yet so i'm not criticising them, just reflecting what I've read others report. I expect they'll be exactly what I'm looking for. Something which will allow me to hear the likes of Younger Brother, Yello & Trentemoller how it was intended to be heard.

Of more concern to me at the moment is some of the bad reviews on Amazon regarding build quality. That was a surprise. I don't rely on Amazon for audio equipment reviews; that's what I'm here for :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #18,351 of 23,366
So has anyone had to send their M-100 back before? when I talked to support the other day they said as soon as they got them they would have a tech look at them. That is really the only info I got and I don't know if that it something that will be done in a day, week, etc.  

They are scheduled to receive them tomorrow and I am hoping that it will be a quick turn around but I really don't know what to expect. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #18,352 of 23,366
I'm selling my M-100's here, in case anyone is interested.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #18,353 of 23,366
I just received my V-moda M-100's about an hour ago. It's far too early to come to any conclusions regarding sound quality but I don't hate them, that's for sure. I have to say though the packaging and presentation is fantastic. The materials used all around are beautiful. It's funny though that despite reading many people commenting on how small the overall package is I still wasn't prepared for what I saw when I opened the much larger Amazon box. Tiny, and truly portable.

I've tried them on my head and I have no problems with fit other than they perhaps clamp a tad more than absolutely necessary. I'm burning them in right now and will maybe post later tonight regarding initial sound impressions. So far, so good.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #18,354 of 23,366
It's funny though that despite reading many people commenting on how small the overall package is I still wasn't prepared for what I saw when I opened the much larger Amazon box. Tiny, and truly portable.

It's quite shocking how small the case/headphones are when zipped up.  I had the M80s and LP2s before the M100 and I was expecting about the same and was absolutely shocked when it was quite a bit smaller overall.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #18,355 of 23,366
I've tried them on my head and I have no problems with fit other than they perhaps clamp a tad more than absolutely necessary. I'm burning them in right now and will maybe post later tonight regarding initial sound impressions. So far, so good.

Clamping force can be reduced by the simple expedient of flattening the band a bit. Don't worry. If you break it then you've found a rare manufacturing defect.

M-100's drivers have no appreciable break-in period.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #18,356 of 23,366

Clamping force can be reduced by the simple expedient of flattening the band a bit. Don't worry. If you break it then you've found a rare manufacturing defect.

M-100's drivers have no appreciable break-in period.

Careful, not that you are going to break them but if you bend them the wrong way you end up with end up with more of a rainbow shape to the band opposed to a "u" shaped v almost that is there from the factory. Space your hands out when gripping the band.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #18,358 of 23,366
How's the durability of the wire between the earcup and the headband? I avoided headphones like these because I fear of a hook suddenly snagging the wire.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #18,359 of 23,366
  How's the durability of the wire between the earcup and the headband? I avoided headphones like these because I fear of a hook suddenly snagging the wire.

Same material just thinner, and I would worry if a hook happenes to be THAT close to your head.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #18,360 of 23,366
  Same material just thinner, and I would worry if a hook happenes to be THAT close to your head.

I have a little brother who will grab my headphones and blow a party horn in my ear... I'd rather not have him tug a wire.

Although should I worry? I've heard these are tanks anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back