V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #1,202 of 23,366
Since 2012 seems to be developing into the year of the portable headphone, I am refraining from purchasing a portable audiophile headphone in anticipation of the M100.  My dream headphone would provide clean, accurate sound across the spectrum supplemented by powerful bass.  I have yet to find such a headphone.  Can the M100 possibly provide this?

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,203 of 23,366
Val,
I think it is amazing how receptive you are to direct feedback from your customers.  I am not a pro or a dj, but I am a forty-something audio enthusiast who does most of his music listening during exercise on my Iphone.  I mistakenly purchased $300 "rapper" headphones about 6 months ago that look great and are comfortable but are seriously disappointing regarding sound quality, particularly mids and highs.  I have been searching for audiophile headphones made for portable use that, in addition to providing clear, spacious and accurate sound across the spectrum also provide deep, powerful bass to get the adrenaline going during workouts.  This may be a loaded question, but should the M100 end my search?  Also, regarding your Iphone headphone amp, will it be Iphone 5 compatible?

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,204 of 23,366
Val,
I think it is amazing how receptive you are to direct feedback from your customers.  I am not a pro or a dj, but I am a forty-something audio enthusiast who does most of his music listening during exercise on my Iphone.  I mistakenly purchased $300 "rapper" headphones about 6 months ago that look great and are comfortable but are seriously disappointing regarding sound quality, particularly mids and highs.  I have been searching for audiophile headphones made for portable use that, in addition to providing clear, spacious and accurate sound across the spectrum also provide deep, powerful bass to get the adrenaline going during workouts.  This may be a loaded question, but should the M100 end my search?  Also, regarding your Iphone headphone amp, will it be Iphone 5 compatible?  I would rather have a premium driver that requires more power and use a portable headphone amp (using a Fiio E11 right now) than downgrading to a more efficient driver which may have slightly lower sound quality.  From what I am reading, the M100 can potentially be competitive with Bose and PSB in addition to the celebrity endorsed headphones.  I am really looking forward to trying them out.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #1,205 of 23,366

Quote:
Val,
I think it is amazing how receptive you are to direct feedback from your customers.  I am not a pro or a dj, but I am a forty-something audio enthusiast who does most of his music listening during exercise on my Iphone.  I mistakenly purchased $300 "rapper" headphones about 6 months ago that look great and are comfortable but are seriously disappointing regarding sound quality, particularly mids and highs.  I have been searching for audiophile headphones made for portable use that, in addition to providing clear, spacious and accurate sound across the spectrum also provide deep, powerful bass to get the adrenaline going during workouts.  This may be a loaded question, but should the M100 end my search?  Also, regarding your Iphone headphone amp, will it be Iphone 5 compatible?  I would rather have a premium driver that requires more power and use a portable headphone amp (using a Fiio E11 right now) than downgrading to a more efficient driver which may have slightly lower sound quality.  From what I am reading, the M100 can potentially be competitive with Bose and PSB in addition to the celebrity endorsed headphones.  I am really looking forward to trying them out.

Yes, this should be your solution.  Being that we are in Hollywood and par of the music scene, any legendary musicians, producers and celebs use and helped tune our headphones.  We just make custom versions for them vs use "one celeb" on the product itself. In fact, even Stevie Wonder helped give me feedback on M-80.

VAMP may not be iPhone 5 compatible, we don't know and don't know the timeframe... but we'll definitely make one down the road!  The beautfiul thing about VAMP Is that it also turns it into a hi-fi source with TOSLINK spdif optical out.  So you can use your iPhone as a hi-fi PMP/source for a long time.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,206 of 23,366

Quote:

Yes, this should be your solution.  Being that we are in Hollywood and par of the music scene, any legendary musicians, producers and celebs use and helped tune our headphones.  We just make custom versions for them vs use "one celeb" on the product itself. In fact, even Stevie Wonder helped give me feedback on M-80.

VAMP may not be iPhone 5 compatible, we don't know and don't know the timeframe... but we'll definitely make one down the road!  The beautfiul thing about VAMP Is that it also turns it into a hi-fi source with TOSLINK spdif optical out.  So you can use your iPhone as a hi-fi PMP/source for a long time.

So that's what the VAMP is? I assumed it was an up-coming in ear. Hopefully it's competitively priced to provide a nice alternative to things like the CLAS or HP-P1.

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #1,208 of 23,366

Quote:

No offense Val but if you're going to butt heads against Fostex and Cypher Labs your Vamp amp is going to have to deliver in spades. You'll also be going head to head on Head-Fi with the likes of iBasso, Leckerton Audio, Fiio, JDS Labs, and Headstage to name just a few. And those are only the more trendy names in mobile amps never mind the more elite gear such as the ALO and Graham Slee amps. I'm far from the most seasoned Head-Fier on here but I am still a head-fier with enough knowledge to know what I'm talking about most of the time. My question to you Val is what caused you to want to produce a mobile amp and what was the overriding goal when your people started developing it? Are you in any way worried about the competition and is the game plan to just lay back and let peoples ears decide for themselves or does the Vamp pack some surprises under it's hood? It's obvious to me from following this thread and gleaming information from your various posts the Vamp and M-100 were probably developed around the same time frame and if not they must have at least crossed paths during development therefore I'm really curious if the Vamp was engineered specifically for your companies headphones or as a stand alone for whatever gear a consumer may own? Another thing I'm curious about is V-MODA is known as a headphone company that does products with very good bass. Will the Vamp bring the V-MODA vision of good bass with it or will it be more geared towards the traditional audiophile who fancy's traits such as neutrality, transparency, speed, and detail? I know there's only so much you can say Val but I had to ask because I'm that curious. Is there anything spec wise you can maybe lay on us?

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #1,209 of 23,366
The VAmp thread already contains some specs which may answer some of your questions. At least the OpAmp and DAC (and battery capacity) has been discussed there. Val will need to divulge lots more info about the VAmp in that thread there still though - in good time I guess.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #1,210 of 23,366
I really appreciate the honesty, yes first product in a new category is usually a tough lesson.  Our partner helped us quite a bit on this go around and we fine tuned it w our OCD team and gave it the V-MODA treatment.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program... M-100!  

Having problems with the case, trying to figure out how to fit the cables correctly, hmmm... it's going to be trial and error from here, there is only so much we can do in 3d!

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,211 of 23,366

Quote:
I really appreciate the honesty, yes first product in a new category is usually a tough lesson.  Our partner helped us quite a bit on this go around and we fine tuned it w our OCD team and gave it the V-MODA treatment.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program... M-100!  

Having problems with the case, trying to figure out how to fit the cables correctly, hmmm... it's going to be trial and error from here, there is only so much we can do in 3d!

Will there be space to fit an iPod Touch inside?

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,213 of 23,366
So is there any news on when this launches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back