V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 21, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #10,906 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah I agree, that guy (and remember, he is just one man, his opinion doesn't somehow count as 1 million people) was way too harsh on the M-100. I think he is just use to expensiver cans. IMO M-100 is good for the price, especially if you got in on the pre-order deal. :) Don't know if they are still offering that package anymore or not, though. =P

I think both the Headfonia review (done by two authors) and InnerFidelity review helped potential buyers by giving them a sense of how different people interperted the M100. Doesn't mean that the M100 isn't going to rock someone's socks off! Some people will love it, for so many reasons! But others who were looking for a more neutral headphone may think twice before purchasing the M100. Personally, their reviews steered me away; but at the same time, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the M100 to friends of mine, based on their reviews. I don't know if they were as criticial as much as informative. (I haven't read them in a couple weeks though.)

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #10,907 of 23,366
Quote:

I think both the Headfonia review (done by two authors) and InnerFidelity review helped potential buyers by giving them a sense of how different people interperted the M100. Doesn't mean that the M100 isn't going to rock someone's socks off! Some people will love it, for so many reasons! But others who were looking for a more neutral headphone may think twice before purchasing the M100. Personally, their reviews steered me away; but at the same time, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the M100 to friends of mine, based on their reviews. I don't know if they were as criticial as much as informative. (I haven't read them in a couple weeks though.)

Yeah, I read that review before buying my M-100s as well. :) However, I don't stop at what one (or two) people have to say. I did further research. I even read all the comments on that particular review with people defending V-moda and discrediting things mentioned in that review. You pretty much have to do your homework before you buy things these days, and decide whether a product is right for you or not. Because everyone has different taste and preferences.

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #10,908 of 23,366

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I read that review before buying my M-100s as well. :) However, I don't stop at what one (or two) people have to say. I did further research. I even read all the comments on that particular review with people defending V-moda and discrediting things mentioned in that review. You pretty much have to do your homework before you buy things these days, and decide whether a product is right for you or not. Because everyone has different taste and preferences.

Yep. Reviews are one thing, but this thread is probably the best source of information regarding the M-100. That headfonia review was particularly negative and as pointed out in this thread the reviewers were comparing M-100s to much more neutral - and expensive - headphones and their tastes are obviously not in favour of the M-100s tuning.
I'd have to read it again, but I know when I first put on my M-100s I thought I was gonna return them, but it only took an overnight burn in to loosen up the drivers to a much better sonic experience... so I think they might not have given them the chance of burn in...

There's always that 60 day trial. Don't let reviews get in your way. Just like a movie, I won't let reviews tell me to go or not, because those people don't have MY personal tastes. If you want to even TRY M-100s, you can always return them 60 days no questions asked. Nothing to lose, except maybe an AWESOME headphone :p

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #10,909 of 23,366
Quote:
True, but for example for Trance etc, bass is in my opinion needed. If a headphone was considered neutral, I would only be there pumping up the EQ anyway.
I'm just surprised that I can pump up the EQ on bass and treble and live with the M-100 happily considering it is meant to have a V curve anyway

I listen to a lot of trance as well(about 70% of my listening, lol), but still felt the bass to be a little reckless. Listening to Zedd's Spectrum, bass hits sounded like I was listening with a ported subwoofer, vs a sealed off enclosure(wooty/woofy slams; you can hear the air draw, which to me, is undesireable). This may not be a fair comparison, but my HD650 had so much more control in the bass region, and didnt have such a prodominant "Dumph, Dumph, Dumph" sound weaved into the impact notes. On the HD650, it is perfectly audible, and the drivers do something unique, where I can feel my ears move a bit on low bass notes without hearing it. Its a pretty neat experience.

Anyway, one thing I've come to learn and really respect about masterfully executed audio gear is that you dont need rediculous volume in any particular spectrum to actually appreciate it. A great example is my encounter with Sennheiser's IE8's. Treble takes a backseat in terms of volume, so notes sound warm, punchy, and detailed; BUT! treble is perfectly coherent, and shows every bit of resolution that you would normally hear from gear tuned for a more strident presentation. Experiencing those IEM's was somewhat of an "AHA!" moment for me. My perspective on sonic execution somehow matured with those IEM's; I learned to appreciate tuning, and read FR graphs with a grain of salt. Dont get me wrong, its definitely a good indicator of what you're getting, but there's so much more to audio than volume..
Maybe high end gear spoiled my ears, or maybe my preferences have changed over time, but for the money, I personally dont find them competetive. If I had to put a price on them, I feel ~$165-$240 is a fair target (taking into consideration it's sound and style). Comparatively, the M-80's offer so much more for the money.
Just my $.02..

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #10,910 of 23,366
Dec 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #10,911 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I agree, that guy (and remember, he is just one man, his opinion doesn't somehow count as 1 million people) was way too harsh on the M-100. I think he is just use to expensiver cans. IMO M-100 is good for the price, especially if you got in on the pre-order deal. :) Don't know if they are still offering that package anymore or not, though. =P

I think the Headfonia reviewers were expecting something like a M-80 but with better detail, better treble extension, more up-front midrange, etc...everything that was discussed in this thread before the VTF-100's came out. I believe one of those reviewers was saying the Phillips Cityscape(?) had more of a balanced sound to it, which was the expectation for the M-100 from what I recall from that article.

Innerfidelity reviewed the headphone for what it is and the conclusion for Tyll was that the M-100 is a basshead 'can. On his YouTube video review, he left a comment that the M-80 is a more audiophile-friendly headphone. I feel that potential buyers who were expecting a modified M-80 were disappointed in hearing the M-100 is a basshead headphone.

As for myself, I was expecting a modified M-80 as well and was kind of let down by the fact that there was so much more bass and the midrange was about the same. It does make a good portable headphone though, so in the end I'm kind of glad about that.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #10,913 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm pretty sure one of those reviewers who did the M-100 review on Headfonia hated the LCD-2 as well.  Go figure.

I don't like the LCD-2's either....they have the smallest soundstage of any open-back headphone I've touched, it is really suffocating to say the least. I mean, even a $50 HD238 has a larger soundstage. Every time I've tried the LCD-2's I've always wondered why so many people like it. T_T

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #10,914 of 23,366
Finally decided to pull the trigger on these. I figure with the 60 day return policy, I don't have much to lose, plus those Bass Freq headphones will make good gifts.

Now to keep my excitement in check and maintain realistic expectations until these get here...

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #10,915 of 23,366
Quote:
I think the Headfonia reviewers were expecting something like a M-80 but with better detail, better treble extension, more up-front midrange, etc...everything that was discussed in this thread before the VTF-100's came out. I believe one of those reviewers was saying the Phillips Cityscape(?) had more of a balanced sound to it, which was the expectation for the M-100 from what I recall from that article.

Innerfidelity reviewed the headphone for what it is and the conclusion for Tyll was that the M-100 is a basshead 'can. On his YouTube video review, he left a comment that the M-80 is a more audiophile-friendly headphone. I feel that potential buyers who were expecting a modified M-80 were disappointed in hearing the M-100 is a basshead headphone.

As for myself, I was expecting a modified M-80 as well and was kind of let down by the fact that there was so much more bass and the midrange was about the same. It does make a good portable headphone though, so in the end I'm kind of glad about that.

Sorry mice, just want to point out that I have read this forum in its entirety since a long time ago. And no where has it ever said that the M-100 was going to be an M80 with bigger earpads. The concept of the M100 has always been to meet each product in the middle. Pull in some of the details that the M80 had, as well as keep the bass that was from the LP/LP2. The M100 was always to be based on the LPs as well as the M80s, it has always been said that consumers who want more detail should get an M80. But if you want some detail and more bass, then that is why the M100 was built. And in that regard, I think V-moda did what they said they would. :)

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #10,916 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry mice, just want to point out that I have read this forum in its entirety since a long time ago. And no where has it ever said that the M-100 was going to be an M80 with bigger earpads. The concept of the M100 has always been to meet each product in the middle. Pull in some of the details that the M80 had, as well as keep the bass that was from the LP/LP2. The M100 was always to be based on the LPs as well as the M80s, it has always been said that consumers who want more detail should get an M80. But if you want some detail and more bass, then that is why the M100 was built. And in that regard, I think V-moda did what they said they would. :)

Then maybe I was just misinformed or misinterpreted things?
Quote:
Wow 200 pages...

I'm a newcomer to the M-100's. Can anyone provide a brief overview of how the M-100's will compare to the M-80's (other than circumaural vs supra-aural)? Will they be more DJ-like in sound, or will they be a more refined version of the M-80 (cleaner mids, more sparkle in the highs, less boomy bass, larger soundstage, better noise isolation, more swivel on the earcups)?

I still haven't tried the M-80's yet (I'm not a fan of supra-aural headphones), but I've read a LOT of praise for them on Head-Fi.

^ this was my first post in this thread

Quote:
Quote:
Wow 200 pages...

I'm a newcomer to the M-100's. Can anyone provide a brief overview of how the M-100's will compare to the M-80's (other than circumaural vs supra-aural)? Will they be more DJ-like in sound, or will they be a more refined version of the M-80 (cleaner mids, more sparkle in the highs, less boomy bass, larger soundstage, better noise isolation, more swivel on the earcups)?

I still haven't tried the M-80's yet (I'm not a fan of supra-aural headphones), but I've read a LOT of praise for them on Head-Fi.

We're thinking it's the latter of your two guesses, Mice. the M-100 should be similar to an upgraded M-80; cleaner mids, brighter highs, more sub-bass and overall bass definition, etc, just like you mentioned. We don't know everything of course; Val is keeping things pretty airtight, but that's what's got us all pumped for the release!

Quote:
Quote:
Wow 200 pages...

The M-100's will have a punchier, deeper bass, but the rest will be most likely based on your "More refined version of the M-80's" guess. Like what Leon Dota said. At least that's what I get so far after reading what Val has said. 

Quote:
Quote:
Wow 200 pages...

A similar sound signature but more refined and dynamic.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Dota /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

We're thinking it's the latter of your two guesses, Mice. the M-100 should be similar to an upgraded M-80; cleaner mids, brighter highs, more sub-bass and overall bass definition, etc, just like you mentioned. We don't know everything of course; Val is keeping things pretty airtight, but that's what's got us all pumped for the release!

Ah, great news. Thank you for the update.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #10,917 of 23,366
Quote:

You probably should have read from the beginning then. o.o''

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The M-80 is what I feel an "in the middle" headphone, yet bassheads sometimes want a bit more sub 100Hz shaking club sound.  But I am a basshead, and I love M-80 as is - it's just right for me for everyday use, but doesn't work as well for me to play live with for extended DJ sets.  Right now the M-100 is split in between a M-80 and LP2 (LP2 has slightly lower bass than LP1). 

M-100 won Best of Show @ CES from Beatweek, check it out!  I love the picture of it, don't you?

http://www.beatweek.com/interviews/12416-v-moda-crossfade-m-100-headphones-beatweek-2012-best-of-show-at-ces/

We've been working hard on finalizing these for months as we demoed it to a select few at CanJam and CES (this is why Steve was so amped over at CNET).  We won't release a product until it covers the target user's needs, Head-Fi's and M-80's feedback has crafted this product, just as I did the LP/LP2 with the 50+ DJs/electronic producers.  Secondly as another barometer, I'd want to buy it myself. It's almost there, we aiming for perfection and settle for excellence!

That was from page 2, from the man himself. :p

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #10,918 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

You probably should have read from the beginning then. o.o''

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The M-80 is what I feel an "in the middle" headphone, yet bassheads sometimes want a bit more sub 100Hz shaking club sound.  But I am a basshead, and I love M-80 as is - it's just right for me for everyday use, but doesn't work as well for me to play live with for extended DJ sets.  Right now the M-100 is split in between a M-80 and LP2 (LP2 has slightly lower bass than LP1). 

M-100 won Best of Show @ CES from Beatweek, check it out!  I love the picture of it, don't you?

http://www.beatweek.com/interviews/12416-v-moda-crossfade-m-100-headphones-beatweek-2012-best-of-show-at-ces/

We've been working hard on finalizing these for months as we demoed it to a select few at CanJam and CES (this is why Steve was so amped over at CNET).  We won't release a product until it covers the target user's needs, Head-Fi's and M-80's feedback has crafted this product, just as I did the LP/LP2 with the 50+ DJs/electronic producers.  Secondly as another barometer, I'd want to buy it myself. It's almost there, we aiming for perfection and settle for excellence!

That was from page 2, from the man himself. :p

I don't want to start an argument but 1, that post was from January, things could have very likely changed between then and July when I first posted (the replies I received didn't seem like the M-100 would be between the LP and the M-80), 2 people who came to the thread as late as I did definitely don't have the time nor patience to go through every single post in the thread, and was the case when new users came to join the thread.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #10,919 of 23,366
Quote:
I don't want to start an argument but 1, that post was from January, things could have very likely changed between then and July when I first posted (the replies I received didn't seem like the M-100 would be between the LP and the M-80), 2 people who came to the thread as late as I did definitely don't have the time nor patience to go through every single post in the thread, and was the case when new users came to join the thread.

I don't want to argue either. I'm just simply stating what the intention of the M-100's was and always has been. It's not fair to take assumptions out on a great product. =P Also, I think it's fair to mention I got interested at around page 300, and I went back and read all the previous post to make sure the headphone was worth it for me. That's part of what being a cautious buyer is about, doing your own research. So in my case, I got exactly what I thought I would get. :p

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #10,920 of 23,366
I'm going to do the towel mod I think and get an amp to improve mids.

I'm finding mostly non electronic the most enjoyable genre to listen to on these believe it or not. Stuff like classical, new age and pop and light rock.

I actually find the bass too much for trance tracks etc as they are. Some tracks are okay, whereas others are not.
Stuff like Lindsey Stirling though sound amazing.

The details though come right at you. They certainly don't have a problem like that but the mids certainly go behind a curtain when bass comes in and then when highs come in, you realise it can do a lot.

Rock is certainly its weakest genre... I agree about that, which is a shame. The mids just are not strong enough

Its just a shame about the mids, but I know I can improve them a bit more and lower bass slightly with mod I'll try.
I can also get LP pads.

Very happy with quality from most though. Trance though with the constant boom boom boom, not so much. Don't know why trance causes a problem and other electronic genres do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back