V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #10,876 of 23,366
Double post deleted

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #10,877 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm on the cusp of pairing these with the E17s, has anybody tried them out?

I have and they're awesome. Well worth the money.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #10,880 of 23,366
Quote:
How are these for home listening? Would they sound good driven off a Schiit Magni and Modi setup? 

It depends on your personal tastes. Personally I would like a headphone with a forward midrange, better treble extension, and a wider soundstage but that's me.

Magni/Modi should sound just fine with the M-100 as the O2/ODAC sounds superb, and someone in the Magni thread said they sound pretty similar.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #10,882 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm a basshead, but I can't decide whether I want the Ultrasone Pro 900 or the M-100. All I listen to is EDM, but I prefer a wide soundstage also. How does the sub bass on the M-100 sound?

Oh, well in that case you'll love the M-100!

The M-100 has a deeper bass, but it doesn't hit as hard as the PRO900. Comparing the two next to each other, the PRO900 has much more treble energy and sibilance that I couldn't stand; the M-100 has a smoother treble response relatively speaking but doesn't have as much extension.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #10,883 of 23,366
Hmm, from about an hour or so, it seems these headphones at the moment show a good or bad mix quite tellingly.

It's not just new stuff that sounds good either. If mixing is done right, it sounds fine, like I'm at the moment listening to some Andy Williams. For example, Almost There, and Home Lovin' Man.
Barry Ryan - Eloise sounds really good for example.

Can't help but feel though that when a lot of instruments go into the mids region, the clarity goes to each instrument at the moment.

Is it normal I'm starting to feel sick listening to them though? Maybe its the closed back nature. I'm certainly not listening to them very loud.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #10,884 of 23,366
Which would you say is better for EDM? I'm afraid of the Pro 900 beig too sibilant for me, but there is nowhere to demo either the M-100 or the pro 900 around me so I have to just go off what other people think. Reviews for both the Pro 900 and the M-100 are kind of love it or hate it. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #10,885 of 23,366
Just returned a pair of DT880's which i burnt in for 80 hours straight and they were way too bright for me. How will I like the M-100's in terms of the brightness spectrum?

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #10,886 of 23,366
Quote:
Just returned a pair of DT880's which i burnt in for 80 hours straight and they were way too bright for me. How will I like the M-100's in terms of the brightness spectrum?

Brightness for the M-100 isn't much of a problem for me at all. They are slightly fatiguing to me with some tracks (probably due to mixing or mastering), but the brightness really shouldn't be a problem.

Phaeleh's "Afterglow" song at 0:55 for example is slightly fatiguing to my ears because of that high-hat note (due to the mixing I believe). For some reason that note doesn't bother me as much on the SRH940; it might be because the forward vocals kind of make that sound in the background, so it doesn't jump out at me as much.

...and holy moly that's a lot of treble energy, no wonder:

Quote:
Which would you say is better for EDM? I'm afraid of the Pro 900 beig too sibilant for me, but there is nowhere to demo either the M-100 or the pro 900 around me so I have to just go off what other people think. Reviews for both the Pro 900 and the M-100 are kind of love it or hate it. 

I would recommend the M-100 as it's easier on your ears...and your hearing.

If worst comes to worst, if you buy the M-100 from an authorised V-MODA reseller, you can return it back for a full refund within 60 days of purchase.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #10,887 of 23,366
Quote:

Same here, I was in love with its feel/looks etc of the Sennheiser Momentums when helding them in my hands but putting them on my ears I was very quickly dissappointed with the quality of the whole frequency range. Shrill highs, hollow mids, boomy bass and left standing wondering why the pricetag was so high as it was.

This is an example of a can that measures well and should, in theory, sound fantastic, but the ears reveal the whole package.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #10,888 of 23,366
Quote:

There is not the level of love it or hate it for the M-100 compared to the PRO 900.  With M-100, I would say it's mostly like it or love it.  They are miles apart in sound.  While both can deliver some solid bass, PRO 900 mids are recessed much more than M-100 which are considered laid back as opposed to recessed.  The highs of the PRO were actually painful for me.  I contrast, M-100 highs extent smoothly.  The whole package together just sounds right for everything genre to my ears.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #10,890 of 23,366
Gah so I'm having comfort issues on my left ear. I was worried about this when it comes to cans... let me explain...

I have two piercings in my left ear, one 0g spacer and the other is a second lobe loop. The loop is twisting uncomfortably in my ear as it was pierced so close to the cartiledge that it rubs against it, so when it's flattened and pressed by the driver enclosure, it causes quite a bit of discomfort.

Gonna possibly remove that piercing if I can't find a flexible alternative. My other ear has a spacer, and before last night I had a plastic straw in it (I was streching it, it's super ghetto, I know lol) and I now have a silicone peice in it, but it's not quite fully in the ear cup, and I kinda have to kinda tuck it in to get proper seal lol. The other ear still has the plastic straw, and that is also causing quite a bit of discomfort, and also making it more difficult to acheive a seal, and not so easy, or comfortable to tuck in. I also think I have rather large ears. The paper towel mod hopefully will help for the time being, nott hat I want to lose any of that bass <3

BODY MODDED PEOPLE BEWARE. Large, solid plugs may not be suited well for these cans.
I'm getting silicone plugs purely to just be able to wear headphones again. I didn't have piercings when I got my first hp years ago, but now it's something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back