V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #10,891 of 23,366
Hmm... Something else I've noticed. If song doesn't require bass, the headphones certainly don't fill it with some, which would otherwise mess with the sound.
Robbie Williams - Angels (I'm going through my collection as they interest me), sounds really good for example.

When a song requires bass, it can give it, but I wouldn't call these headphones bass heavy by any means.

As I stated previously... these headphones really seem to show a good mix from a bad one.

I'm going to run them overnight now with high bass stuff, and then tomorrow, I am going to walk to work with them on :)
First time in ages I must say, as I usually bike it or use the car.
I have no idea where I will put them once I get to work.. I'll find somewhere :D

Haha Chris De Burgh - A Spaceman Came Travelling, and John & Yoko - Happy Xmas (War is over), OMG :D Seriously good!
A good mix really does show a lot of detail.

Listening to my old ripped music though, and then listening to the same tracks on Spotify... some are 320kbps rips, but they must be older style MP3 Lame or something. The Spotify rips sound MUCH better.

You may notice my tone has changed since first listening to them... it has.
Getting a 64GB Micro SD as one of my main gifts for my phone. Fill the thing up with A LOT of quality music.
Then after new year, I will get an O2 amp I think :)

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #10,892 of 23,366
Quote:
Gah so I'm having comfort issues on my left ear. I was worried about this when it comes to cans... let me explain...

I have two piercings in my left ear, one 0g spacer and the other is a second lobe loop. The loop is twisting uncomfortably in my ear as it was pierced so close to the cartiledge that it rubs against it, so when it's flattened and pressed by the driver enclosure, it causes quite a bit of discomfort.

Gonna possibly remove that piercing if I can't find a flexible alternative. My other ear has a spacer, and before last night I had a plastic straw in it (I was streching it, it's super ghetto, I know lol) and I now have a silicone peice in it, but it's not quite fully in the ear cup, and I kinda have to kinda tuck it in to get proper seal lol. The other ear still has the plastic straw, and that is also causing quite a bit of discomfort, and also making it more difficult to acheive a seal, and not so easy, or comfortable to tuck in. I also think I have rather large ears. The paper towel mod hopefully will help for the time being, nott hat I want to lose any of that bass <3

BODY MODDED PEOPLE BEWARE. Large, solid plugs may not be suited well for these cans.
I'm getting silicone plugs purely to just be able to wear headphones again. I didn't have piercings when I got my first hp years ago, but now it's something to consider.

It's not a guaranteed solution, but you could try stuffing the top and bottom of the earpad with small, tightly rolled pieces of paper towel so that the earpads don't compress as much.

Quote:
Hmm... Something else I've noticed. If song doesn't require bass, the headphones certainly don't fill it with some, which would with the sound.
Robbie Williams - Angels (I'm going through my collection as they interest me), sounds really good for example.

As I stated previously... these headphones really seem to show a good mix from a bad one

I've seen this mentioned before. Why would a headphone produce bass if the song doesn't have bass?
blink.gif

If that happened, you would have one messed-up headphone.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #10,893 of 23,366
Haha, I don't know Miceblue. From what people were saying, I expected bass to suddenly appear where it wasn't really needed.

Nightrun - Trifonic (I actually found them through a post on Headfi) is wooooo. Especially at the 1:30 mark when the real drop hits.

Listening to a song I did like... when I first got them, to now... it sounds different already. I haven't messed with any settings... must be my ears...
Jooli's Song by Bjorn Lynn already sounds tonnes better in the mid section, or I've just gotten used to the sound rapidly.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #10,894 of 23,366
Yeah I was gonna do that PT mod when I get home, and hopefully that helps. Either way I wouldn't mind getting softer jelewry for general comfort :)
Quote:
Haha, I don't know Miceblue. From what people were saying, I expected bass to suddenly appear where it wasn't really needed.

I tend to agree. When I went to BBR to demo some cans, I put on Sublime - What I Got and some cans (Beats, lower classed Denons) seemd to take the lower midrange/upper bass and throw it down lower, giving it it an illusion of sub bass, when the recording really didn't call for it.
EDIT: one thing I did notice is how the bass is so clean all along the spectrum. I was thinkign these cans are missing something between mid bass and sub bass to give it the illusion of a subwoofer, but it's just such CLEAN extension to the lower regions, but agains, not bottomless.

I listened to Baroness - Isak and noticed the same as musical-kage, the bass is there, but not more than the recording called for. I really was expecting these to be more genre specific but they do post-metal pretty well. I'm going to listen to Isis - Panopticon album on my way home and give some impressions on how well it does with post metal on the go.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #10,895 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah I was gonna do that PT mod when I get home, and hopefully that helps. Either way I wouldn't mind getting softer jelewry for general comfort :)
Quote:

I tend to agree. When I went to BBR to demo some cans, I put on Sublime - What I Got and some cans (Beats, lower classed Denons) seemd to take the lower midrange/upper bass and throw it down lower, giving it it an illusion of sub bass, when the recording really didn't call for it.
EDIT: one thing I did notice is how the bass is so clean all along the spectrum. I was thinkign these cans are missing something between mid bass and sub bass to give it the illusion of a subwoofer, but it's just such CLEAN extension to the lower regions, but agains, not bottomless.

I listened to Baroness - Isak and noticed the same as musical-kage, the bass is there, but not more than the recording called for. I really was expecting these to be more genre specific but they do post-metal pretty well. I'm going to listen to Isis - Panopticon album on my way home and give some impressions on how well it does with post metal on the go.

Technically you are getting more than what the recording called for since the M-100's are a bass-boosted, non-neutral headphone, but I see what you're saying.

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #10,896 of 23,366
Yeah, you're right, poor choice of words. Audiophile terminology escapes me when it really counts.

So I meant to listen to a bunch of post metal on my way home from work. Didn't end up happening. I got caught up in a few tester tracks, but I did end up listening to one track by Isis, and miceblue is right, the vocals and guitar are a little distant. Not drastically so, but for example, the imaging felt like I was playing the drums, with the bassist beside me, and I was watching the vocalist and guitarists in front of me, singing away from me and into the crowd. It was a different way for me to hear this song for sure, but I know Isis spent a lot of time in the studio mixing and mastering their tracks specifically, so Isis is a hard band for headphones to do proper justice imo. 

That said, Isis - Carry has WONDERFUL drums and I think this is the first time hearing a lot of nuances in this one; extra guitar tracks and bass guitar tracks adding detail to such an expansive soundscape. I meant to listen to The Beginning and the End because that's been a favourite track of mine for a looong time, but I got distracted by dnb again.

More impressions tomorrow. All my listening is done directly though iPod touch using 320cbr mp3

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #10,897 of 23,366
FYI, I think V-moda just added 2 new shield colors: croc skin black and croc skin red.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #10,898 of 23,366
Wow.  I was almost sold on these until I read this:  http://www.headfonia.com/style-and-power-vmoda-m-100/
eek.gif

I know everyone will have their own opinion but they seem really harsh on the M-100.  $300-$400 is about my max so I don't want to make a mistake on my next pair. 

Edit:  Went back into this HUGE thread and found a portion that talked about that article.  Mods you can remove the post if you want.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #10,899 of 23,366
Wow.  I was almost sold on these until I read this:  http://www.headfonia.com/style-and-power-vmoda-m-100/
I know everyone will have their own opinion but they seem really harsh on the M-100.  $300-$400 is about my max so I don't want to make a mistake on my next pair. 

Edit:  Went back into this HUGE thread and found a portion that talked about that article.  Mods you can remove the post if you want.

Could you please link back to this...I was too worried after reading that!

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #10,900 of 23,366
Quote:
eek.gif

Can you just order it from Amazon and try it out?  I think this review was way too hard on the M-100.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #10,902 of 23,366
Quote:
Technically you are getting more than what the recording called for since the M-100's are a bass-boosted, non-neutral headphone, but I see what you're saying.

True, but for example for Trance etc, bass is in my opinion needed. If a headphone was considered neutral, I would only be there pumping up the EQ anyway.
I'm just surprised that I can pump up the EQ on bass and treble and live with the M-100 happily considering it is meant to have a V curve anyway

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #10,903 of 23,366
Quote:
eek.gif

For what it's worth.  This is the only negative review I have read.  Also keep in mind though that reviews are just reviews, good , bad or otherwise.  Try them out and see for yourself.  

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #10,905 of 23,366
Quote:
Can you just order it from Amazon and try it out?  I think this review was way too hard on the M-100.

Yeah I agree, that guy (and remember, he is just one man, his opinion doesn't somehow count as 1 million people) was way too harsh on the M-100. I think he is just use to expensiver cans. IMO M-100 is good for the price, especially if you got in on the pre-order deal. :) Don't know if they are still offering that package anymore or not, though. =P

Edit: Looks like the pre-order is gone but this offer is available on v-moda until Dec 26th:
https://v-moda.com/free-red-green-headphones-on-orders-of-100-or-more/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back