V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 29, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #8,896 of 23,366
DF I have been swamped the past two weeks but I'm so glad to finally catch up with all the reviews/mods/input this weekend. It's been really informative.

SN sadly no but at some point I am going to have to pick these up. It's been awesome just reading everyone's impressions so far though. In the meantime I've been enjoying my M-80s quite a lot - I can only imagiine what the 100 has in store for my ears.

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #8,897 of 23,366
Quote:
The cables' jacks are gold-plated. I'm 100% sure the cables themselves aren't made of gold or else V-MODA would be losing money at ~$15 a cable.

Jacks are only thinly gold plated to allow smoother connection into the listening device, seeing as gold is an extremely soft metal it allows for a better mold inside the device, therefore giving a cleaner connection. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that copper is actually the best for listening if your device and jack can fit well.

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #8,898 of 23,366
Quote:
Jacks are only thinly gold plated to allow smoother connection into the listening device, seeing as gold is an extremely soft metal it allows for a better mold inside the device, therefore giving a cleaner connection. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that copper is actually the best for listening if your device and jack can fit well.

I think the main reason gold is used is because it doesn't corrode.

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #8,899 of 23,366
Val..... please o please do make the bass on the m-100's atleast as heavy as the lp2, i want the headphone to be fun
to listen to and not so boring like the m-80, ive bought thr m-80, lp's, and the lp2's so far i probably us the lp2's the most 
for the reason that they're actually fun to listen to for the great amount of bass it has.
i would totally buy them if they had a good amount of bass.
not comparing them at all to the beats by dre because they suck, but i feel like other than the looks, the bets line
is famous because of the amount of bass that they have, people like that Val. think about it.
more consumers would like that and realize that they are better than most headphones.
already pre-ordered my pair, but i wish that the final product was bass heavy. it's what the people want!

Try monster inspiration for fun sounding..... :)..I posted a review on them...

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #8,900 of 23,366
I suppose for bassheads and those of other tastes, a ton of bass equates to a fun sound, but I'll be damned if Val didn't find a very good balance between fun and tight bass in these M-100's. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #8,901 of 23,366
Quote:
1. Not trying to be degrading, but the LP/LP2 isn't very well regarded on Head-Fi since it's not "hi-fi". People here would probably readily recommend an ATH-M50 over the LP/LP2 any day for more music genres.
2. In regards to the Beats remark, I could easily just as well say that the LP/LP2's suck without providing any details. To be fair and not over-generalizing, the Executive is actually reasonably priced for what you get out of it and I would say it actually sounds better than an LP/LP2. If you want a super bassy headphone, I would suggest a Sony XB since it would better suite your needs for bass rather than a M-100.
3. Sure some people want a bassy headphone, but that market is already pretty well saturated. You don't have to look very far at all to find a bassy headphone. The M-100 was semi-tuned by pro-hi-fi audiophiles, so naturally it will have less bass than the "non hi-fi" LP/LP2. In fact, I think having even more bass in the M-100 would detract me from liking it since I think it has a little too much of it, as is, not to mention that the M-100 would probably be less suitable for more genres of music.
4. Even if the M-100 doesn't have "a lot of bass", there are plenty of ways to help remedy this "deficiency". Using an equalizer is one option, using a coloured source or amp is another option. It's already been suggested that the ZO2 "sub woofer" amplifier really enhances the M-100's bass response.

I was thinking about this yesterday listening to a variety of genres on the M-100- some where too much bass would detract from the music; others where I want as much good bass as I can possibly squeeze out of a headphone.  I'm finding that the M-100 walks the line as well as I think is possible for a headphone between audiophile and basshead.  The bass curve seems to drop off perfectly to avoid any midrange bleed and only seems emphasized when the recording calls for it, so my audiophile tastes are satisfied.  Thanks to the scalability of the M-100, I can run through my E11 with bass boost on #2 and have a very satisfying basshead experience as well.  Based on the recording, the M-100 can still surprise me with the depth and punch of the bass.  I'm also really enjoying the M-100 "signature" of the consistently detailed yes smooth mids and highs which I find pleasing and enjoyable with all genres (I don't listen to jazz or classical).

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #8,902 of 23,366
I have to say, clamping force and overall comfort improve greatly with flexing/bending. It now lasts about 1.5 - 2 hours before I get a slight headache, or my ear touches the driver grill.

Bass is also tightening up, sounding more and more like what I wanted. Now I just need the white pads and these'll be my go-to portable.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #8,903 of 23,366
I stood outside for the better part of 4 hours in the path of Sandy with the M-100s listening to Gershwin and Debussy at medium volumes on my Infuse 4G + cMoyBB rig and after playing with the volume levels and adjusting for wind noise, I conclude that the M-100s are not my go to portables in the midst of catastrophic hurricane winds.

First off, the wind noise drowns out the bass, the most prominent aspect of the V-MODA sound, and the whistling created by the 35 mph gusts interferes immensely with the high notes of violins and flutes. The mids are still able to shine through, although only at volume levels way beyond those which I would consider safe and enjoyable. Few have expressed their dissatisfaction with the clamping force and relative comfort of both the headband and earcups, and I similarly have no such complaints regarding comfort, except for in a storm. The clamping force, while adequate for most everyday use, is nowhere near competent enough to keep the M-100s on my head in category 1 winds without the added pressure of a hand pressed against the headband or with both hands grasping the earcups, which proves impractical and looks ridiculous.

I am appreciative that these headphones can survive 70+, 6-foot drops onto concrete for after my testing today, I am only left with approximately 20 or so drops before imminent failure and structural durability may be compromised. The kevlar-reinforced, cloth covered cables, while greatly pliable and are aesthetically pleasing, have proven microphonic if not properly secured, and are an absolute nightmare when wet. Not only is the weight of the wet cable double that of its dry weight, but its added mass pulls the headphones ever so slightly towards the side the cable is plugged into further adding to wind-based discomfort. And it gets stiff the same way a wet hacky sack renders itself unkickable.

I feel I must comment on the SpeakEasy cable and boom mic regarding their usage in this weather. The SpeakEasy cable, even when waterlogged, performed flawlessly in the high winds and torrential downpour I found myself stranded in. My mother, who assumed (because I told her) that I was at home, understood me clearly and did not notice when I was struck on the side of my head by a tree branch in mid-flight. It was hard to make out her words due to the wind and headphones constantly flying off my head, and my going in and out of consciousness, but she never once thought I was any place else other than the cozy futon which I spend my days sitting and nights sleeping on. The boom mic, on the other hand, proved completely useless outdoors and oftentimes would bend in the completely opposite direction relative to my face due to the flexibility of its wire and susceptibility to wind influence.

My final comments will regard the inclusion of an extra set of shields with my preproduction unit. Because of the many impacts and scrapings the headphones suffered at the mercy of Ms. Sandy, my default silver shields now display large gashes and chipping intermixed with bits of leaves and street debris. I appreciate the ability to swap out different shields and now understand how apt calling the metal plates 'shields' really is. Although earcup damage is still visible on the plastic parts and severely cracked at the hinges, the parts that were covered by the shields remain relatively unscathed and I am happy to report that new shields have been installed and I have another pair on the way. Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the M-100s, so far, and am only let down by their mediocre hurricane performance. If not for the build quality and rigorous testing by V-MODA's standards, these would not have lasted the entire 4 hours of my testing.

For now, my go to hurricane cans are still, hands down, the fantastic sounding, super durable and wind-isolating SYNC by 50 Cent wireless headphones.

With all the scratches and cracks I have on my M-100s, I'm not sure if I want to keep them or not. I still have 43 days of my test drive left, so we'll see if V-MODA remains as my go to portable. I love your products, Val, but in the future maybe you should consider a bit more regarding bad weather conditions. You've got the sound part down, but there's much room for improvement. Have you tried the SMS SYNC by 50 Cent during a typhoon? Maybe the upcoming Revolver can double as a windmill to power its wireless and noise-cancelling features. Just some food for thought.

~Rock On!

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #8,904 of 23,366
I stood outside for the better part of 4 hours in the path of Sandy with the M-100s listening to Gershwin and Debussy at medium volumes on my Infuse 4G + cMoyBB rig and after playing with the volume levels and adjusting for wind noise, I conclude that the M-100s are not my go to portables in the midst of catastrophic hurricane winds.

Epic. Shurely one of the better reviews yet. I'm also looking forward to reading about your go-to earthquake, shootout and/or tsunami headphones.

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #8,905 of 23,366
You know you're a headphone addict when...

...listening to headphones during a hurricane seems like the most natural thing ever.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #8,907 of 23,366
Quote:

Maybe care share what else have you heard with classical/soundtrack/orchestra and jazz? I think it depends on what you're used to or what headphones you're coming from, and what your expectations are. And probably most importantly it depends on what kind of presentation you personally prefer.

Hmm. I'm not sure if I know myself to be sure so I'll just make a brief post about my experiences so far. The Etymotic HF5s were my first major entry, and I was pretty thrilled with them for my genres. There very clean and neutral all around, and the instrument separation and detail were great. I felt like they could have been a bit more exciting though. When I got the M50s I decided that I didn't mind a bit more of a "fun" sound, I quite liked them for acoustic as well. I don't consider them to be especially bassy, but they have more bass than my etys. I can't decide if the CAL!s were too bassy for me for my acoustic music, or if the bass just wasn't tight enough. I tried the M80s in the Microsoft Store but it was too loud for be to really get a good impression, but I was worried that their bass might be too loose for me in the same way the CAL!s bass was. Basically...

- I want whatever cans I get next to be reasonably detailed. More detailed than my M50s or my HF5s.
- I don't mind hard hitting bass, but it needs to stay out of the way when the music doesn't call for it. I find that too much bass makes low brass/woodwinds and percussion overpower the rest of the instruments.
- I definitely woudn't mind a somewhat more spacious presentation, it's why I'm looking at cans instead of IEMs.

I'm kinda wondering if what I'm asking for is maybe unreasonable or impossible. Thoughts?

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #8,908 of 23,366
Hey guys, I'm new to this site 

So far, my headphones I've had have been the Px100s, then those broke so I got some Koss Porta Pros but didn't like the sound at all. I replaced them with some Px-100 iis I think sounded a lot better.
So maybe I haven't had a lot of experience in hi-fi sound. That said, I read up on V-Moda 2 weeks or so back and was blown away by reviews.

I was going to hit buy on some M80s when I encountered news on the M100s having even better sound and wondered wheather to wait or just buy the M80s.
I have decided to wait.

That said though, I am kind of worried the M100s may not be my best bet.
Now in terms of SQ, I'm sure the M80s would beat the hell out of the px-100s. No comparison?

I could just pre-order the M100s now but shipping plus VAT to the Uk could get expensive and wonder if its worth waiting for Amazon Uk to get a hold of them and at what price...

One more question. Since an amp would improve bass response/smoothness of the M100s, what amp would be best for them, running through a PC sound card but mainly through my Samsung Galaxy S 3? (Hopefully soon with Voodoo sound like with my SGS).
Are there any amps that will work, bypassing the Samsung headphone out, providing a digital out?

Thanks for any help. I'm really stuck as I'm sure I'd probably be blown away by both.

I listen to a wide range of music, from Trance to rock to metal, all the way to Classical do really want something that I'll feel would be a massive step up.
In terms of price, around 300 quid I would say.

Cheers :)
Musical-Kage

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #8,909 of 23,366
Quote:
First off, the wind noise drowns out the bass, the most prominent aspect of the V-MODA sound, and the whistling created by the 35 mph gusts interferes immensely with the high notes of violins and flutes. The mids are still able to shine through, although only at volume levels way beyond those which I would consider safe and enjoyable. Few have expressed their dissatisfaction with the clamping force and relative comfort of both the headband and earcups, and I similarly have no such complaints regarding comfort, except for in a storm. The clamping force, while adequate for most everyday use, is nowhere near competent enough to keep the M-100s on my head in category 1 winds without the added pressure of a hand pressed against the headband or with both hands grasping the earcups, which proves impractical and looks ridiculous.

I am appreciative that these headphones can survive 70+, 6-foot drops onto concrete for after my testing today, I am only left with approximately 20 or so drops before imminent failure and structural durability may be compromised. The kevlar-reinforced, cloth covered cables, while greatly pliable and are aesthetically pleasing, have proven microphonic if not properly secured, and are an absolute nightmare when wet. Not only is the weight of the wet cable double that of its dry weight, but its added mass pulls the headphones ever so slightly towards the side the cable is plugged into further adding to wind-based discomfort. And it gets stiff the same way a wet hacky sack renders itself unkickable.

I feel I must comment on the SpeakEasy cable and boom mic regarding their usage in this weather. The SpeakEasy cable, even when waterlogged, performed flawlessly in the high winds and torrential downpour I found myself stranded in. My mother, who assumed (because I told her) that I was at home, understood me clearly and did not notice when I was struck on the side of my head by a tree branch in mid-flight. It was hard to make out her words due to the wind and headphones constantly flying off my head, and my going in and out of consciousness, but she never once thought I was any place else other than the cozy futon which I spend my days sitting and nights sleeping on. The boom mic, on the other hand, proved completely useless outdoors and oftentimes would bend in the completely opposite direction relative to my face due to the flexibility of its wire and susceptibility to wind influence.

My final comments will regard the inclusion of an extra set of shields with my preproduction unit. Because of the many impacts and scrapings the headphones suffered at the mercy of Ms. Sandy, my default silver shields now display large gashes and chipping intermixed with bits of leaves and street debris. I appreciate the ability to swap out different shields and now understand how apt calling the metal plates 'shields' really is. Although earcup damage is still visible on the plastic parts and severely cracked at the hinges, the parts that were covered by the shields remain relatively unscathed and I am happy to report that new shields have been installed and I have another pair on the way. Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the M-100s, so far, and am only let down by their mediocre hurricane performance. If not for the build quality and rigorous testing by V-MODA's standards, these would not have lasted the entire 4 hours of my testing.

For now, my go to hurricane cans are still, hands down, the fantastic sounding, super durable and wind-isolating SYNC by 50 Cent wireless headphones.

With all the scratches and cracks I have on my M-100s, I'm not sure if I want to keep them or not. I still have 43 days of my test drive left, so we'll see if V-MODA remains as my go to portable. I love your products, Val, but in the future maybe you should consider a bit more regarding bad weather conditions. You've got the sound part down, but there's much room for improvement. Have you tried the SMS SYNC by 50 Cent during a typhoon? Maybe the upcoming Revolver can double as a windmill to power its wireless and noise-cancelling features. Just some food for thought.

~Rock On!

This is cool and all, but why would you even think about doing this? Were I your mother, I would think that you're crazy to bring $300 headphones into the middle of a hurricane.

That being said, V-MODA's headphones do meet MIL-STD-810G test standards. I downloaded the U.S.A. Department of Defense PDF document explaining what these test standards are and it's over 800 pages long. I zipped through the first 40 pages of it and it's pretty detailed in terms of what needs to be done.

I do remember Val saying that they were doing salt spray and heat tests for the M-100, here, and here

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #8,910 of 23,366
HERE you go guys and girls my final review on the Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition. Not trying to derail the thread, I just thought with all the discussion concerning amps and considering the M-100 is being mentioned in the review it would make for interesting reading as far as pairing the M-100 with a boutique audiophile DAP is concerned.

@SpiderNhan

You're last post strikes me more as parody and a rather well written and very amusing one at at that. On the off chance you actually did try that then you sir have one huge set of iron balls. Stay safe bopper and God be with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back