V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #8,911 of 23,366
Quote:
This is cool and all, but why would you even think about doing this? Were I your mother, I would think that you're crazy to bring $300 headphones into the middle of a hurricane.

We Vietnamese are a very cautious and wary folk; why take the seller for face value when you can put it up to the ultimate test against hurricane force winds? Why, today, I went jogging outside with winds blustering and maple leaf rags bustling with my M-100's on. I would personally prefer my Soul by Ludacris in the case of hurricane force gusts due to the completely closed back nature allowing for a more intimate experience. Even if they don't survive 70+ 6 foot drops (I've been dropping my M-100's 130 times from 3 ft, am i doing it right?), I'm sure the sound quality will at least sound okay with the rain spewing all over my face compared to the M-100's.

At least I looked fabulous while on my stroll.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #8,913 of 23,366
Quote:
@SpiderNhan

You're last post strikes me more as parody and a rather well written and very amusing one at at that. On the off chance you actually did try that then you sir have one huge set of iron balls. Stay safe bopper and God be with you.

Thanks, DigitalFreak.

Trapped inside for the whole of today, and possibly tomorrow, my mind needed some escape from the blank walls of my depressing Bronx abode. I would never take these out into harsh weather conditions let alone my vulnerable humanoid body.

robble,

You're Vietnamese, too?

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #8,914 of 23,366
Quote:
If I put an amp on the m-100 like the zo2 or the fiio e11 and run the bass boost features, would the m-100 have as much bass as the l.p.2?

Potentially yes. I think the ZO2's bass function is cleaner than that of the E11. I haven't heard the E11 in person, but the bass boost of the E7 is "meh". It adds a nice amount of bass, but some distortion occurs after level 2 (out of 3).

All of this talk is getting me curious about how a DAC/amp's colour plays a role in how a headphone sounds/synergy.

My brother tried the M-100 yesterday through my O2/ODAC, and then again through the MacBook's audio out port. He claimed that X track had more treble from the MacBook vs the O2/ODAC, and I found that to be true for that track. The drumset in that particular track is poorly recorded so it's barely audible, even with the SRH940. Also, I noticed that the bass guitar through the MacBook wasn't as loud as it is on the O2/ODAC.

• Does this mean the M-100 has better synergy with the MacBook in the sense that it has a more balanced sound (decreased bass response, increased treble response)?
  • The O2/ODAC was designed to be as transparent as possible. Does this mean that through the O2/ODAC, I hear the M-100 as the M-100 (as opposed to a coloured M-100)?
  • The O2 is a significantly more powerful amplifier than that of the MacBook. Is what I'm hearing the M-100 at its true potential (fully amped), or is it because the two amps are coloured differently?

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #8,915 of 23,366
just out of curiousity, when are other Head-fi members such as Jude, Tyll, ect. going to post official reviews for M-100? they have had pairs for awhile right? so far only Anak has posted an official review on the M-100 page

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #8,916 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks, DigitalFreak.

Trapped inside for the whole of today, and possibly tomorrow, my mind needed some escape from the blank walls of my depressing Bronx abode. I would never take these out into harsh weather conditions let alone my vulnerable humanoid body.

robble,

You're Vietnamese, too?

Yep! Proud Viet! Working on the speaking part... but proud nevertheless! For good luck, my purple shields are "phuc luc tho"

Anyway, my curiosity is about making something similar to the LP2's. I understand making a full size M-80, but why would there be any demand for another iteration of the LP2 in terms of bass? V-Moda doesn't seem like the type of company to me who would reinvent the wheel, and there would certainly be no sense in buying a $300 that has more bass than most audiophiles would prefer when the $200 basshead version exists.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #8,917 of 23,366
Quote:
If I put an amp on the m-100 like the zo2 or the fiio e11 and run the bass boost features, would the m-100 have as much bass as the l.p.2?

I don't have an LP2 to compare, but I do have an E9/E7 setup at work. Bass boost doesn't work when I have the E7 docked in the E9, but I've played around with it a bit on some electronic tracks... It sounds pretty good on boost 1. I wasn't a huge fan of it cranked up to 2 or 3

I ordered a Bifrost and Lyr the other day. Probably overkill for the M-100s, but I grabbed the 6N1P tubes as well, which have a reputation for increasing bass a bit. I'll report back when I get those in and have a chance to test it out.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #8,918 of 23,366
Quote:
Potentially yes. I think the ZO2's bass function is cleaner than that of the E11. I haven't heard the E11 in person, but the bass boost of the E7 is "meh". It adds a nice amount of bass, but some distortion occurs after level 2 (out of 3).

All of this talk is getting me curious about how a DAC/amp's colour plays a role in how a headphone sounds/synergy.

My brother tried the M-100 yesterday through my O2/ODAC, and then again through the MacBook's audio out port. He claimed that X track had more treble from the MacBook vs the O2/ODAC, and I found that to be true for that track. The drumset in that particular track is poorly recorded so it's barely audible, even with the SRH940. Also, I noticed that the bass guitar through the MacBook wasn't as loud as it is on the O2/ODAC.

• Does this mean the M-100 has better synergy with the MacBook in the sense that it has a more balanced sound (decreased bass response, increased treble response)?
  • The O2/ODAC was designed to be as transparent as possible. Does this mean that through the O2/ODAC, I hear the M-100 as the M-100 (as opposed to a coloured M-100)?
  • The O2 is a significantly more powerful amplifier than that of the MacBook. Is what I'm hearing the M-100 at its true potential (fully amped), or is it because the two amps are coloured differently?

First of all there's no such thing as 100% neutral everything is colored in one way or another. There's north of neutral (cold analytical usually treble emphasis) and then there's south of neutral (warmer more fluid usually fuller bass sound). The perfect center of neutral does not exist and when people start throwing terms around like north or south of neutral they're usually referring to what they think neutral should be or are using a certain gear as their perfect benchmark. Again I must emphasize, there's no such thing as true neutral and just because someone is using that benchmark doesn't mean that gear is a perfect neutral. It's only meant to give you a rough idea on the sig and generally keep everyone within the ballpark on what the person is talking about. The honest truth be known even neutral is a form of coloration because anyone whose ever heard music live knows live music has a slight fluid warmth to it. People like to use neutral or close to neutral gear because it's the only way to try and hear the music the way the artist wanted in recorded in the studio. What you're describing above is just two different colorations and they're probably throwing you because they're two opposite extremes. Take it from someone whose been all over these threads trying to find the perfect so called overall synergy, it doesn't exist. Coloration is coloration and if done right it's fun. Run with that

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #8,919 of 23,366
Quote:
First of all there's no such thing as 100% neutral everything is colored in one way or another. There's north of neutral (cold analytical usually treble emphasis) and then there's south of neutral (warmer more fluid usually fuller bass sound). The perfect center of neutral does not exist and when people start throwing terms around like north or south of neutral they're usually referring to what they think neutral should be or are using a certain gear as their perfect benchmark. Again I must emphasize, there's no such thing as true neutral and just because someone is using that benchmark doesn't mean that gear is a perfect neutral. It's only meant to give you a rough idea on the sig and generally keep everyone within the ballpark on what the person is talking about. The honest truth be known even neutral is a form of coloration because anyone whose ever heard music live knows live music has a slight fluid warmth to it. People like to use neutral or close to neutral gear because it's the only way to try and hear the music the way the artist wanted in recorded in the studio. What you're describing above is just two different colorations and they're probably throwing you because they're two opposite extremes. Take it from someone whose been all over these threads trying to find the perfect so called overall synergy, it doesn't exist. Coloration is coloration and if done right it's fun. Run with that

Well I think it's possible for a DAC and amp to be "neutral" but not so much for headphones.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #8,920 of 23,366

This is true. I said that the O2/ODAC were designed to be as transparent as possible. Transparency usually indicates no colouration, thus providing a "clean output", but of course everything has a little colouration. Objectively, *ba dum tss*, the O2 performs very well and Tyll is actually calibrating his amp measurements using the O2 as a reference for future amp measurements.

And that'll cause a stir over here in Head-Fi. "what??? no synergy? D:"
Sshhhh. :wink:

For the purpose of not getting banned, and for being off topic, I guess I should end this "sound science" discussion. XD

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #8,921 of 23,366
Quote:
Well I think it's possible for a DAC and amp to be "neutral" but not so much for headphones.

For something to be perfect neutral it means it would have to sound like nothing with absolutely no emphasis in the frequency range anywhere with next to perfect linearity. That's impossible, you can come pretty close but you can't get perfect neutral. If it was possible I'd be first in line to buy company stock of the outfit who accomplished it.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #8,922 of 23,366
Just put in my order for the FiiO L9; should come in on Friday or Saturday.

So is there a substantial difference between what the L9 will provide and the regular 3.5mm cable I've been using? I mean, I wouldn't have bought it if the answer was no, but I'd still like to hear exactly what sort of difference it makes.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #8,923 of 23,366
Quote:
Just put in my order for the FiiO L9; should come in on Friday or Saturday.

So is there a substantial difference between what the L9 will provide and the regular 3.5mm cable I've been using? I mean, I wouldn't have bought it if the answer was no, but I'd still like to hear exactly what sort of difference it makes.

Substantial difference? I dunno since I don't own a Line Out Dock (LOD).

What I do know is that with the 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm connection, you amplify your audio signal twice (once in your iPod, a second time through your external amplifier). With the LOD, you bypass the amp of the iPod, so your analog signal goes through your external amp instead.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #8,924 of 23,366
Quote:
For something to be perfect neutral it means it would have to sound like nothing with absolutely no emphasis in the frequency range anywhere with next to perfect linearity. That's impossible, you can come pretty close but you can't get perfect neutral. If it was possible I'd be first in line to buy company stock of the outfit who accomplished it.

Well that's true in the sense that perfect geometric shapes are absolutely unattainable anywhere but in a mathematical theorem - but I think it's possible to get an amp or DAC accurate to the point that it's indiscernible for the human ear.  Headphones and speakers aren't even close to that level yet though...

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #8,925 of 23,366
Good question. The M100 is the most hyped headphone with the least reviews. The big names in head-fi have stayed away from these for some reason. I find it rather interesting....

Quote:
just out of curiousity, when are other Head-fi members such as Jude, Tyll, ect. going to post official reviews for M-100? they have had pairs for awhile right? so far only Anak has posted an official review on the M-100 page

Users who are viewing this thread

Back