Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. - Page 145

post #2161 of 20988

hey Val

 

I am buying the HD650 for my dad (OTW as we speak), also have the Denon D2000 to directly compare. 

 

And dig the "expendables"

 

My suggestion:

the Kalashnikov

 

OH WAIT: I GOT IT! 

the Virtuoso

post #2162 of 20988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclef View Post
 it's the same ol' same ol' (soft) mediocre headphones.

That's not what the multitude of reviews, and a rank of #7 on Head-Fi say.

post #2163 of 20988
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton View Post
 

HD650 Owners?

Curious, anybody here own a HD650 that plans on getting a M-100?  I have some qs for you. Don't worry, we aren't trying to copy the HD650 at all, thats not how we roll.  However, it is one of the few headphones I have with me on this trip to calibrate the community expectations to.

 

I own a pair of HD650's and have been keeping an eye on this this thread with great interest as I've been looking for a decent closed phone. Feel free to ask away.

post #2164 of 20988

I wanted to follow up on my post about the FR and Hz.  FR is almost COMPLETELY meaningless to compare headphones for a multitude of reasons. 

 

1) The fit is the sound, and the "machine" microphone and artificial ear (if it uses one) is not your ear

2) each microphone and FR analyzer measures diffently

 

The best use for FR analyzers is for analysis on the SAME MACHINE from unit to unit of the same model or vs other models vis-à-vis.  It is ESPECIALLY essential to check batch consistency and L/R tracking.  If you have enough data using the same machine for a while, it's value increases exponentially.

 

But at the end of the day, only your collective hearing and 100+ EDIT: REAL reviews can be the judge of a real headphone's success.


Edited by valkolton - 6/23/12 at 9:38am
Reply
post #2165 of 20988

I don't see why scar would be an appropriate word, it's not like those tanks are gonna be damaged at all.

post #2166 of 20988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Santa View Post

I don't see why scar would be an appropriate word, it's not like those tanks are gonna be damaged at all.

 

They are dropped 70+ times from 6' on concrete and get sprayed with salt and crazy temperatures but are still expected to work. Like any tank or humvee, they'll take and show their battle-wounds but they keep on truckin' and functioning as expected.

 

-v

Reply
post #2167 of 20988

That's why I preface my comment with the fact that we all hear differently.  Shoot...I let my wife listen to my V Jays the other day and she thinks the mids are recessed....I think the mids are very much up front.  Same song....same headphones....same player.  That's why I love reading reviews.  You get lots of different perspective. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclef View Post


Interesting.  I think the bass is somewhat bloated on the M-80, it's certainly not tight and controlled. 

post #2168 of 20988
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsupremous View Post

That's why I preface my comment with the fact that we all hear differently.  Shoot...I let my wife listen to my V Jays the other day and she thinks the mids are recessed....I think the mids are very much up front.  Same song....same headphones....same player.  That's why I love reading reviews.  You get lots of different perspective. 

 

Well it's not every1 that is able to accurately "measure"/analyze what they hear either from either due to:

 

1) lack of experience in interpreting sound

2) lack of wide enough experience with different headphones' different sound signatures to be able to accurately place where they stand like in different aspects

3) lack of knowing what the different standard terms means or ability to put it into words what they hear

 

I've experienced similar stuff when another person thought the mids were recessed only cuz they were excessively smooth and warm but still were very up-front and due to not being clear sounding it's recessed which isn't necessarily the case at all as muffled mids doesn't have to be recessed at all, muffled mids usually comes from bad quality uncontrolled and excessive mid/upper bass range and recessed high-range as well as lack of transparency for example. Recessed midrange usually lead to rather clear sounding but distant sounding midrange due to the V-shape FR, I check rather how much "in-your-face" the vocals, instruments etc. sounds like disregarding clarity when just interpreting whether midrange is recessed or not.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/23/12 at 10:29am
post #2169 of 20988
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsupremous View Post

That's why I preface my comment with the fact that we all hear differently.  Shoot...I let my wife listen to my V Jays the other day and she thinks the mids are recessed....I think the mids are very much up front.  Same song....same headphones....same player.  That's why I love reading reviews.  You get lots of different perspective. 

 


Wouldn't you say that the "I think" part of my statement personalizes it?  While I do agree with you for the most part, are you gonna tell me that if we test a hundred people with a pair of Grado 325's and Sony XB700's, we're not gonna get 100% (legitimate) responses as to which ones are more / less bassy?   To what extent is NOT the question.

 

You can read any number of M-80 reviews (even from most of the fanboy's), and they will all speak of the "highs being rolled off".  It's a fact.  How that fact translates to different sets of ears is open for debate, I'll give you that, but it doesn't change the facts.  That's all I was really saying.

post #2170 of 20988
I'm really excited that theres going to be an all-black matte M-100. I'm thrilled actually, considering I already have a shadow M-80 and I tend to love all-black in general, so it'll be nice to change it up.

BIG KUDOS to Val for coming in here and taking the time to read everyone's posts and update us. I also love the discussions about how they're going to sound vs other cans in the price range. I haven't been able to find cans with the best timbre/tonal accuracy since my Pansonic HJE900 IEM so I'm anticipating these will come pretty close or better. Definitely seems to have the same sound sig going on and I'm hoping the decay will be as good since that has a lot to do with realism and natural timbre of the instruments.

Seriously, July needs to come more quickly.
post #2171 of 20988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclef View Post


Wouldn't you say that the "I think" part of my statement personalizes it?  While I do agree with you for the most part, are you gonna tell me that if we test a hundred people with a pair of Grado 325's and Sony XB700's, we're not gonna get 100% (legitimate) responses as to which ones are more / less bassy?   To what extent is NOT the question.

 

You can read any number of M-80 reviews (even from most of the fanboy's), and they will all speak of the "highs being rolled off".  It's a fact.  How that fact translates to different sets of ears is open for debate, I'll give you that, but it doesn't change the facts.  That's all I was really saying.


I have seen 180 degree variations of sound perception regarding headphone characteristics.  I have read reviews where someone would describe a headphone as harsh and sibilant and another review would describe that same headphone as dark or veiled.  While this can be incredibly confusing, I look for consistencies from multiple reviews.  Also, I will listen to reviewed headphones for myself and see which reviewers I am most in agreement with and put more credence in their review.  I do this not because their review is more valid, but simply because it more closely matches my personal listening taste.  Sometimes I read reviews that are so different from my perception, I ask, "How is this possible?" but then I step back and respect the opinion, as long as I believe it is their sincere evaluation of the headphone.

post #2172 of 20988

Absolutely true.  That's why I really enjoy reading multiple reviews.  I'm not overly sensitive to bass...so when someone says a headphone like the M80 is bass heavy...that's not at all the way I'm hearing it.  But I can certainly understand there are people out there who would think so.  When it comes to hearing it's all subjective. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

Well it's not every1 that is able to accurately "measure"/analyze what they hear either from either due to:

 

Yes it does personalize it.  That was the point.  It was my personal view of the way a headphone sounded compared to my wife's view. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclef View Post


Wouldn't you say that the "I think" part of my statement personalizes it? 

 

These kinds of debates is certainly one of the things I love about this forum.  =)  Heck.  I'm really just glad that my hearing is as good as it is.  The way I listened to music from the time I was about 12 until I was in my late 20's was insane!  I'm glad I didn't completely ruin my hearing because I love music tooooooo much! 


Edited by nonsupremous - 6/23/12 at 11:25am
post #2173 of 20988
^^ Absolutely agree Craigster and just want to add how important it is to take into consideration the reviewer's preferences/hearing. The more reviews you read from a certain reviewer vs. the experience you have with the cans being reviewed will determine how both perceptions match up. For example, Tyll on inner fidelity is sensitive to the highs of the HD25 while I find them only slightly edgy but not fatiguing at moderate volumes. Once he has a chance to review the M-100 I'll be able read how he perceived the sound which will then help me to get a handle on how they might sound to my ears. biggrin.gif
post #2174 of 20988

Best is if the reviewer tries to stay as objective as possible, he just tries to describe the sound of it based on experience with different headphones (= objective) and not say this is good or bad cuz it sounds like X or Y IMO (= subjective). This only works though if you got wide enough experience of headphones so you can roughly know where they stand like in different aspects against each other. Some people like emphasized highs, others a bit rolled-off highs etc so it's the reviewers job to tell whichever it is but not take stand to if it's good or bad IMO, that's up to the reader to interpret knowing his own personal taste in sound (if he/she even does know that though).


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/23/12 at 11:44am
post #2175 of 20988

If I get a PPU, I'll help out the V-MODA cause by reviewing them in detail - in a comparrison against my AIAIAI TMA-1's and Audio Technica ATH-M50's. I hope it's possible to get the signature done on the case instead of the headphones though,

 

A few more questions for you, Val:

  1. In terms of accessories, what's the full list of them that come with the Headphones?
  • One set of shields or two?
  • 3 Cables + Case.. Anything else?
  • Any new colors of ear shields being launched alongside the M-100's?
  1. If someone orders a white/silver PPU, can they get a "gumetal" (Matte/Brushed feel) shield with it, instead of a "silver" (glossy/reflective) shield?
  • ​Vice Versa for the Shadow M-100 PPU?
  1. What was the hardest part of creating these?
  • How'd you get around them?
  • Any snags in development that you'd like to talk about?

 

 

Also - I think i speak for everyone when I say:

WE NEED GLORIOUS EYE CANDY - WHERE ARE THE PICTURES, VAL?

Pretty Please?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.