V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #8,252 of 23,366
Quote:
Or you can run a slow frequency sweep from 0 Hz - 200 Hz.

Where's the fun in that?
wink_face.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright guys, hope my very early findings are well received. I've copied and posted whats below from my Audio Journal in the other M-100 thread. So far I'm glad I bought the M-100 and I'm looking forward to further experimenting with gear and seeing if it will respond for the better. I came to all these very early observations using an iPod 64 GB 3rd gen, Fiio L9 LOD connector, and ALO RX MKII in low gain. Again these are very early first impressions which were arrived at after only a few short hours and a limited amount of music thrown at the can. Over the next few weeks some of these observations could/will change. Hope you guys enjoy the read feel free to ask any questions you like.

Quote: Take From The Audio journal Of A DigitalFreak
October 18 2012

The Eagle Has Landed

Well looks like all my ranting against Canada Post was a waste of time. After a long wait I officially received my M-100 today. I've spent most of the day listening to it off and on and thus far early impressions seem to be mostly in the positive. Ergonomically this can seems to be a very well designed headphone and I'm guessing a lot of man hours was probably logged on trying to get the shape and size just right for mobile use. When I first set my sights on the M-100 I expected a smaller form factor but I was still shocked how incredibly tiny the carry case and folded up headphones themselves were. It's almost as if V-MODA grabbed a M-80 headband ripped the cups off threw on a pair of larger housed 50 mm drivers then modded the metal gimble parts with a hinge that folds upwards and viola new super compact mid sized headphone. Seriously, when they're folded up they're even smaller then the M-80 making them easily far more mobile then the M-80. In the comfort department I'm glad to report they're very comfortable. I was a little worried these would be uncomfortable due to a couple of people complaining the shallow cups hurt their ears but thus far after 2 straight hours my ears are still feeling good albeit a little on the warm side. Probably the only bone I have to pick with it ergonomically thus far is these cans are not the most comfortable to wear around your neck. The cups don't fold flat and I'm finding my chin, because of the larger cups, hit the cups when I turn my head. When I'm looking forward it's not to bad but thus far I doubt I will be wearing these for long periods of time around my neck.

One of the first things I did when I got them home, besides listen to them of coarse, was install my custom shields. Now that was one huge pain in the ass and after installing them I now know why V-MODA included some extra screws in their shield kit. Put very bluntly, the provided alan key stinks when it comes to unscrewing and screwing in the custom shields. Take my advice if you have a scredriver use that instead of the provided alan key. Not only did the alan key slightly wear away the screw heads it left my hand red and sore from straining trying to get the alan key to firmly fit into the screws heads. After a good 10 minutes of swearing, gripping, and regripping trying to get a proper strong enough hold on the way to small alan key to get some torque behind my turning hand I gave up and threw the alan key in the garbage and got myself a proper screw driver. Ten minutes later both stock matte shields were off and my black custom croc skin shields with tribal art cross design were installed and looking very bad ass if I do say so myself. I would have liked the tribal art cross a little bigger but overall I can't complain the design looks clean crisp and rather nice.

Alright, time to get to first impressions concerning audio. These findings are only very early out of the box impressions so take them with a very small grain of salt. I'm going to need a few more days with the M-100 before I can arrive at final impressions.

Treble

1. Easily extends farther then it's M-80 sibling.
  2. While the M-80 highs are flat and smoothed over the M-100 has sparkle and authority behind it. I would have liked a little more edge but that's just me being a nit picker. Overall from the little I've heard I'm quite pleased with them and thus far I'm glad V-MODA decided to put a little more sparkle and above all more extension and air into the M-100 treble

Mids

1. While the M-80 went for a smooth fluid presentation in it's mids the M-100 took that smoothness leaned the sound out just a tad and brought in a lot more detail
  2. As commented by others the mids have a very slight U shape to them and although I do agree I would not call the M-100 a traditional recessed mid U like say the Sennheiser HD-25. The U is very very slight so I'm glad to report thus far I'm quite relieved that the mids seem to be working for me
  3. Slightly forward vocals but not as forward as I'm used to with say my DT1350 or Grado SR60i
  1. Guitars are full and crunch well. Probably on par with my more lush sounding HD-25
  2. Sound clear but still not as clear as my DT1350
  3. Although vocals sound great it's still doesn't match the glorious vocal reproduction of my DT1350. Easily beats out the HD-25 and SR60i though

Bass

1. Extends deep, not as deep as my Bayerdynamic DT1350 but it's not far behind
  2. Warm, full bodied, and elevated above all other frequencies
  3. Although warm it's still quite detailed
  4. Well behaved and bleed into the mids is very minimal or non existent
  5. This headphone can really rumble when the music demands it

Other Attributes Of Note

1. Prat is very good but not great. My DT1350 and Grado SR 60i are quicker
  2. Soundstage is wide and dwarfs the SR60i HD-25 and M-80
  3. Mid transitioning of highs and lows is smooth and overall presentation seems coherent (very little sibilance or bass bleed)
  4. When unamped it's passable but when amped this can shines noticeably. When unamped soundstage sounds compressed mids especially guitars seem blurred and bass loses extension. This can loves it when you throw some extra juice at it and accordingly it should be accommodated
  5. Some rock actually sounds pretty good with the M-100

Again I must emphasize these are very early first impressions and some of whats been noted above could and probably will change in a few weeks when I post my final impressions. Until then the only thing left for me to do is get back to listening to more music and allowing my ears and brain to further climatize to the M-100 sound signature as well as mixing and matching different gear.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #8,253 of 23,366
Great job DF. Interesting that you felt the DT1350 extends deeper into the bass than the M-100. I was just in the stores yesterday doing the M-100 face-off with a few headphones and the DT1350 was one of them and my findings w.r.t. that area was different from yours. Anyhow, I do appreciate different listeners do pick up different things. Good review.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #8,254 of 23,366
Quote:
Great job DF. Interesting that you felt the DT1350 extends deeper into the bass than the M-100. I was just in the stores yesterday doing the M-100 face-off with a few headphones and the DT1350 was one of them and my findings w.r.t. that area was different from yours. Anyhow, I do appreciate different listeners do pick up different things. Good review.

Not at all and you're welcome. My thinking is the M-100 bass hits harder and has more body while the DT1350 doesn't and is a slightly leaner sounding bass (more neutral). Maybe that's why you're feeling the M-100 extends more? Of coarse these findings could change I need more music to play on these things. i think it's time I tried my Studio V with the M-100.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #8,255 of 23,366
Quote:
Not at all and you're welcome. My thinking is the M-100 hits harder while the DT1350 doesn't maybe that's why you're feeling the M-100 extends more. Of coarse these findings could change I need more music to play on these things.

Some of my bass depth tests include :-

TRON Legacy "The Grid" & "C.L.U"
Open Your Ears Head-Fi "Heartbeat" (this is good 'cos they test at 50Hz, 40Hz, 30Hz, & 20Hz)
Sting's Brand New Day "A Thousand Years" (especially at the intro)

If you get a chance after exercising the M-100 diaphragms a little longer, could you let me know your thoughts again against the DT1350 with those tracks?

Cheers!

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #8,256 of 23,366
Quote:

Some of my bass depth tests include :-

TRON Legacy "The Grid" & "C.L.U"
Open Your Ears Head-Fi "Heartbeat" (this is good 'cos they test at 50Hz, 40Hz, 30Hz, & 20Hz)
Sting's Brand New Day "A Thousand Years" (especially at the intro)

If you get a chance after exercising the M-100 diaphragms a little longer, could you let me know your thoughts again against the DT1350 with those tracks?

Cheers!

Will do Tron Legacy is one of my test albums.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #8,257 of 23,366
Quote:
Where's the fun in that?
wink_face.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright guys, hope my very early findings are well received. I've copied and posted whats below from my Audio Journal in the other M-100 thread. So far I'm glad I bought the M-100 and I'm looking forward to further experimenting with gear and seeing if it will respond for the better. I came to all these very early observations using an iPod 64 GB 3rd gen, Fiio L9 LOD connector, and ALO RX MKII in low gain. Again these are very early first impressions which were arrived at after only a few short hours and a limited amount of music thrown at the can. Over the next few weeks some of these observations could/will change. Hope you guys enjoy the read feel free to ask any questions you like.

Great impressions DigitalFreak! I'm not sure if you were trying to keep with the title "The Eagle Has Landed" but you spelled sore (sore thumb) as soar (eagles soaring through the air).
I liked the M-100 vs DT1350 comparisons. I was considering buying the DT1350 a while ago, but I think the quality control issues have led me to avoid it.

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #8,261 of 23,366
Just wondering, would a more expensive amp vs a cheaper amp benefit the M100s. Like, is there a limit to how much I should spend on an Dac/Amp to improve the sq on the M100s. Was thinking of a DIY project around $200 vs a cheaper Fiio (E17? E10?).

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #8,263 of 23,366
Quote:
Just wondering, would a more expensive amp vs a cheaper amp benefit the M100s. Like, is there a limit to how much I should spend on an Dac/Amp to improve the sq on the M100s. Was thinking of a DIY project around $200 vs a cheaper Fiio (E17? E10?).

Price has nothing to do with it. It comes down to what your ears like hearing. You could buy a 600 plus bone ALO RX MKIII amp and hate it. My suggestion, look into the Leckerton UHA-4. That amp also has a built in DAC so you can use it as a sound card if you have a crappy sounding laptop. Leckerton is known for making good sounding amps at good prices. Of coarse there's nothing bad about Fiio either. Enough users on here seem to like their stuff.

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #8,264 of 23,366
Quote:
As much as stereosandbeer is trolling, I too am surprised by the lack of reviews and comparisons. I want to jump on the pre order but i'm not sold on these especially with few detailed comparisons to competing phones.

I'm still in my listening/burning-in phase. The only other pair of quality headphones I own is the M-80 and I've been doing some A/B-ing and testing with my phone and laptop, both amped and umamped and don't feel I've spent enough time to really nail down what I'm hearing and how to describe it.

My initial thoughts echo the characteristics that others have already noted:
- Wider soundstage than the M-80.
- Much deeper, extended bass response (mine purrs from my phone[Wolfson DAC] with or without an amp).
- Sparkly, crisp treble is present and actually changes some of the songs I've listened to dozens of times with the M-80.
- Sounds fantastic plugged directly into my phone or laptop, and even better with an amp(cMoyBB v2.03), but it's not a crazy difference where I couldn't live without the amp. I will note that if you have an amp with bass boost, like the cMoy does, you're in for a treat. While the amp affects the M-80 slightly, but not in anyway that justifies buying an amp for it, the M-100s absolutely take whatever you decide to run through it and literally has a blast. Bass boost switch on cMoy + M-100 + Dubstep = Eargasm! Purr? Try roar!
- Mids are more recessed than M-80. Actually, the bass seems a bit recessed, too. Because of the wider soundstage on the M-100, your position in relation to where the music is coming is set a bit further back, whereas the M-80s have a more in-your-face, sitting next to the speakers kind of feel. I remember someone saying that it seemed like the M-80s had a stronger bass impact, and, depending on your source or whether or you not you have an amp, it does sound that way. I made the same observation when I first A/B'ed them and actually preferred the sound of the M-80 over the M-100. Once I played around with my cMoy and the bass boost switch, I realized that the M-100s bass is miles ahead of the M-80s and requires that you feed it the proper juice.
- Last thing. On the M-80, a particularly drafty day will lead to a wind tunnel effect on the headphones replacing your New Found Glory cover of Rocketman with a horrible whooshing sound. Not so with the M-100. Maybe that's the purpose of the felt cloth adhered to the vents beneath our V-MODA crests. The M-80s lack this piece of felt.

I'll have a more detailed review when I spend another week or two with them.

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #8,265 of 23,366
Quote:
Price has nothing to do with it. It comes down to what your ears like hearing. You could buy a 600 plus bone ALO RX MKIII amp and hate it. My suggestion, look into the Leckerton UHA-4. That amp also has a built in DAC so you can use it as a sound card if you have a crappy sounding laptop. Leckerton is known for making good sounding amps at good prices. Of coarse there's nothing bad about Fiio either. Enough users on here seem to like their stuff.

Is there a limit to how much an amp can improve these headphones then? When compared to just direct computer audio (standard)? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back