V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #21,061 of 23,366
I've dropped my white M-100 onto wood and tile floors and onto concrete several times. A few scratches here and there but no cracks. I used to do parkour with these things on.

You crazy guy. I've never ever worn these while doing parkour... That's what I have in ears for! Sheesh man. Headphones need to fit the application, and on ears/over ears don't do well with the amount of movement that comes from parkour.

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #21,063 of 23,366
  I didn't think Freddy Mercury could break something other than my heart..

Have you heard Freddy's voice? I'm pretty sure he could've broken whatever he wanted to if he so chose with only his voice. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #21,064 of 23,366
I'm ordering a pair of M-100's, and I want to be able to make music with them.
Can someone tell me how to balance out the equalization or at least make it to where I can produce well?
I'm using FL Studio 11 (Fruity edition), and I think a parametric EQ will do fine. I just need the right measurements.
Please and thank you!

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #21,065 of 23,366
Can someone tell me how to balance out the equalization or at least make it to where I can produce well?
I'm using FL Studio 11 (Fruity edition), and I think a parametric EQ will do fine. I just need the right measurements.
Please and thank you!

Not really measurements but I find if I reduce the bass (full range) starting at 500Hz by -6db the sound matches much more closely to a balanced signature.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #21,066 of 23,366
Not really measurements but I find if I reduce the bass (full range) starting at 500Hz by -6db the sound matches much more closely to a balanced signature.

Really? That's not my experience at all.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #21,067 of 23,366

Is that all I need to do? People have talked about the mids being a bit lacking, so I assumed you needed to have a '^' shaped EQ.
Also, do you know if Dolby Advanced Audio will have any effect on what I make, or if AUSIOALL will prevent any of the sound changed it might make.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #21,068 of 23,366
That's for me. You guys may find it different depending on source and audio chain. I'm comparing to the other headphones that I own and have heard with my gear. With a -6db reduction the mids aren't as overwhelmed and the treble is allowed to breath.

I'm comparing mostly to the LCD-XC for my reference to 'balanced sound', although the XC isn't quite as detailed as some other high end headphones, like HD-800. For me the m-100 is just what it is, a $300 dollar headphone with good detail and musical mids with tight and punchy bass even though the bass is very elevated.

Every frequency has a perceived effect on the other so if the bass is over elevated the others will sound recessed. If you raise the mids for a '/\' that's basically the same as reducing bass and treble when volume matched. I certainly wouldn't reduce the treble as I feel the m-100 could use a hair more sparkle.

That's how I see it anyway. YMMV.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #21,069 of 23,366
Every frequency has a perceived effect on the other so if the bass is over elevated the others will sound recessed. If you raise the mids for a '/\' that's basically the same as reducing bass and treble when volume matched.

I feel like this needs to be better understood. Even if you had a different speaker for literally every point on the frequency range, the nature of sound is that they interact in the air and that means that a surfeit of one will naturally blanket others, regardless of how cleanly reproduced it is. I honestly believe this is why so many people constantly bleat that less-bassy headphones have better "quality" bass: the lowered bass is simply impeding less upon the upper frequencies and leaving the listener with the impression that it's "better".

The M100, for a $300 over-ear, has a pretty dang impressive level of segregation with frequencies, but it's a bassy headphone so that carries with it all the caveats of a bassy headphone. It does what it does very well, and I still haven't found anything near its price point that tops it at its own game (the X1 comes close, but it's an enormous open-back so all portability is lost). Tap down the bass if you feel like it, and I'd say for someone who's not a huge fan of burly low-end the M100 will prove a damn fine product.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #21,070 of 23,366
That's for me. You guys may find it different depending on source and audio chain. I'm comparing to the other headphones that I own and have heard with my gear. With a -6db reduction the mids aren't as overwhelmed and the treble is allowed to breath.

I'm comparing mostly to the LCD-XC for my reference to 'balanced sound', although the XC isn't quite as detailed as some other high end headphones, like HD-800. For me the m-100 is just what it is, a $300 dollar headphone with good detail and musical mids with tight and punchy bass even though the bass is very elevated.

Every frequency has a perceived effect on the other so if the bass is over elevated the others will sound recessed. If you raise the mids for a '/\' that's basically the same as reducing bass and treble when volume matched. I certainly wouldn't reduce the treble as I feel the m-100 could use a hair more sparkle.

That's how I see it anyway. YMMV.

I'll have to do a little more research for second opinions, but thanks; that should definitely help.

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #21,071 of 23,366
I feel like this needs to be better understood. Even if you had a different speaker for literally every point on the frequency range, the nature of sound is that they interact in the air and that means that a surfeit of one will naturally blanket others, regardless of how cleanly reproduced it is. I honestly believe this is why so many people constantly bleat that less-bassy headphones have better "quality" bass: the lowered bass is simply impeding less upon the upper frequencies and leaving the listener with the impression that it's "better".

The M100, for a $300 over-ear, has a pretty dang impressive level of segregation with frequencies, but it's a bassy headphone so that carries with it all the caveats of a bassy headphone. It does what it does very well, and I still haven't found anything near its price point that tops it at its own game (the X1 comes close, but it's an enormous open-back so all portability is lost). Tap down the bass if you feel like it, and I'd say for someone who's not a huge fan of burly low-end the M100 will prove a damn fine product.

While you present good points expanding on what I mentioned in the previous post, I feel like you misread that I didn't like the quality of the bass, or that less bass is perceived as better.

I never mentioned anything about the quality of bass and I agree that it's detailed and punchy, especially for its price. If I didn't like the quality of bass I wouldn't still own them. I agree that the m-100 has good separation with all frequencies, It's just that the balance is off. Turn down the bass and all the frequencies play very well together.

The concept that less bass means better bass is not my cup of tea (sometimes I love to just rock out without any EQ on the m-100). I know well the difference between bloated/boomy bass and detailed/textured bass as well as anemic or emphasized bass. The m-100 bass is detailed and textured but just too emphasized so the other frequencies suffer and that isn't a good thing when talking about a balanced sound.

If others prefer an elevated bass response that's great (it's really fun with the m-100), but you can't argue the fact that it's far from a balanced sound signature, especially for mixing, which is the focus of the original question. Imagine mixing while listening with a bass response too high. The producer would mix music that is anemic without any punch on other setups.

Edit: On the topic of bass quality I would value texture, impact, speed, and decay over quantity. Especially if it overwhelmed other frequencies enough to sound unnatural. This what I like about the m-100. It has enough quality and quantity to play with according to ones preferences. You can't get better quality bass from boosting inferior bass reproduction.

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #21,072 of 23,366
Please and thank you!

Does not sound like a good idea to me, while the M-100 is fun I think they are not transparent and linear enough for monitoring (be it live FOH mixing or mastering). Correcting the frequency response with an EQ also does not change the basic properties of the driver (impulse handling and noise).

If you intend to do that get a good 31-band EQ like products from Klark Teknik or BSS and have a look at the FR graph at http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

Overall you might be better off getting an additional headphone better suited to the job.

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #21,073 of 23,366
Sep 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #21,074 of 23,366
While you present good points expanding on what I mentioned in the previous post, I feel like you misread that I didn't like the quality of the bass, or that less bass is perceived as better.

Crap, I didn't mean that at all, haha. I was just running with what you said, I didn't mean at ALL that you were denigrating the M100 or whatever else. My mistake, it was just me going off on another topic because you made a damn fine point and I wanted to elaborate.

Honestly, sorry for the confusion there. I wasn't trying to argue with ya.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #21,075 of 23,366

Does not sound like a good idea to me, while the M-100 is fun I think they are not transparent and linear enough for monitoring (be it live FOH mixing or mastering). Correcting the frequency response with an EQ also does not change the basic properties of the driver (impulse handling and noise).

If you intend to do that get a good 31-band EQ like products from Klark Teknik or BSS and have a look at the FR graph at http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

Overall you might be better off getting an additional headphone better suited to the job.

I would love to have another set altogether for producing, but I am going to use these for other purposes as well.  When I get really serious with music, I'll have a better set, but I'm going to use these while I learn the ropes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back