V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #18,301 of 23,366
Here's the paper tape mod side on:

I don't think I'm up for a lighting mod myself but maybe I know how to get started: remove the shield, remove the mesh covering the opening in the outer shell, and install some LEDs in that little cavity, and then use some kind of semi-transparent tape to cover the shield vents and diffuse the light. Power is a problem. LEDs require more power to generate visible light than a typical headphone jack provides.

The poor man's version: glow in the dark or UV-reactive marker.

I had an idea for the sock mod: use the pivot pins to hold the sock in place. Here's a proof of concept:

Cotton sport sock material, even from thin socks like this, are too thick to work well. It binds the pivot pins and takes up too much space inside the pads. Something more sheer like dress socks or maybe even nylon stockings should work better but I have neither to play with.

I use the left side headphone jack. Shirt and jacket pockets are typically on the left side and that's where my players go.

Good idea.I would really like to see V Moda make velvet pads for the M100s.:)

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #18,302 of 23,366
I third the C5D too. I went to a local mini-meet recently and people were pretty impressed with how the M-100 sounded with the combo. I think I may have convinced one of them to get a M-100. XD

I'm also very curious about this combo.Currently my M100s sound best amped with my ALO Double M3 which is discontinued but the best headphone amp I've ever bought.I am really considering getting the NAD D3020 or D1050 desktop DAC/amp as my next purchase to compliment my V M100s.I'm reading some good reviews about them.

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #18,304 of 23,366
If you have any skill with a sewing (I don't) then you might be able to make velvet or velour covers work. Small loops of string or holes stitched to prevent fraying would make good anchor points and avoid binding at the pivot pins.

I don't possess any sewing skills.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #18,305 of 23,366
  hi everyone , 

I currently own v moda m80 & m100 and use it along wif a cmoy. Listening to most of genres. Planning to upgrade to a portable DAC & AMP under $200, 
any suggestions which dac&amp should i go for ?

The Fiio E17 has been serving me well for 1.5 years. Great stuff there. The E18 also has a usb in for phones feature so you can use it with android.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #18,308 of 23,366
I third the C5D too. I went to a local mini-meet recently and people were pretty impressed with how the M-100 sounded with the combo. I think I may have convinced one of them to get a M-100. XD

how are the mids for m100 with C5D ? And also can you comment how they sound with and without the bass boost ?
thanks. 

The mids of the C5 are slightly forward, so they compliment the laid-back mids of he M-100. As for the bass boost, it's not needed with the M-100 in a quiet environment, but if you're listening to the combo in a noisy place like in a public bus, the extra bass can be really nice to have.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #18,309 of 23,366
The mids of the C5 are slightly forward, so they compliment the laid-back mids of he M-100. As for the bass boost, it's not needed with the M-100 in a quiet environment, but if you're listening to the combo in a noisy place like in a public bus, the extra bass can be really nice to have.

that sounds good. Another problem is there is no distributor for JDS in the uk , think need to get them from EU.
Thanks for the info.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #18,310 of 23,366
Right now, there's someone at my local area willing to sell the M100's new, gun metal black for $250 CAD. Is it worth the price? Or should I wait until the M100's drop down to $200 in the U.S. on amazon and ship it here to Canada?

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #18,311 of 23,366
  Right now, there's someone at my local area willing to sell the M100's new, gun metal black for $250 CAD. Is it worth the price? Or should I wait until the M100's drop down to $200 in the U.S. on amazon and ship it here to Canada?

Why do you expect the M100s to drop to $200?  It's their top of the line earphone and will be for the foreseeable future.  Might as well buy them now and enjoy them.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #18,312 of 23,366

Why do you expect the M100s to drop to $200?  It's their top of the line earphone and will be for the foreseeable future.  Might as well buy them now and enjoy them.

Hahaha, you have a good point there. I'm just expecting V-Moda to drop their price in headphones, like AKG did for the Q701's. Although I do not expect any less in terms of sound quality from V-Moda.

I'm an originated Mids/Treblehead, but I have songs that would love the envelopment of bass biased headphones. I will be picking up the V-Moda's sometime this week!

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #18,313 of 23,366
  Hahaha, you have a good point there. I'm just expecting V-Moda to drop their price in headphones, like AKG did for the Q701's. Although I do not expect any less in terms of sound quality from V-Moda.

I'm an originated Mids/Treblehead, but I have songs that would love the envelopment of bass biased headphones. I will be picking up the V-Moda's sometime this week!

V-Moda is pretty good about holding their price until they release a newer upgrade version of their headphones. Since the M100 release, I've only seen it go for a discount a few times on Amazon down to $270-$280. Guitar center had it for $250 with a promo code once. There was a random Canada Amazon sale all the way down to $230ish.

V-Moda probably won't be releasing a better version of the M100 as their most recent upgrade will be the XS and the Revolver has only been rumors so far.

If you can find em for $250-$270, that would be an amazing steal. Very unlikely their price will drop all the way down to $200 even if something new gets released.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #18,314 of 23,366
I just got the Sony Xperia X1s and it sounds fantastic with the M-100 and it also works directly with the VAMP VERZA.

The only complaint I'd have is that if you're planning to use any USB amp, amp/dac, dac is that you have to open up a flap that covers the USB port.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #18,315 of 23,366
Man I am so disappointed, I got my M-100 in today but the vcork on the right cup (the one pre installed) will not come out. The extra one that comes with it goes in the left cup and comes out fine, but the right one just won't budge. 

Also I don't know if they open up some with burn in but when I am comparing this set to my M-80 it feels like the bass hits harder on the M-80 and ultimately the M-80 just seems to sound better. This seems counter to most stuff I have heard about them so I am hoping that some how with the vcork being stuck that this is just an overall defective unit. 

VMODA support is sending me a return label so they can check them out and they were really helpful about it, but it is still a disappointing start to M-100 ownership. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back