V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #17,161 of 23,366
  After a week of using the XL pads on my daily commute I've decided that I'm switching back to stock. I'm a little bummed about it, since I like the way they look and their comfort with glasses is much improved, but the sound just isn't as engaging as it used to be. I found that some genres did improve, such as rock, jazz and electronic music, but my main genres, pop and kpop, suffered. Thanks for the experiement, Val, but you got it right the first time.

This is why I prefer the XL pads. It actually works better for the majority of the music I throw at it. Yes some music sounds better with the original pads, but on the whole, the majority of my collection (rock, funk, jazz, electroswing, swing, EDM) sounds superior to my ears with the XL pads and the added comfort is just an added plus (and a much appreciated one). I'm sure for some music I'll want to go back to stock, but for now I'm more than happy with the XL pads. It just works for my collection of music. 

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #17,162 of 23,366
That's so far out of the box it's in a different warehouse. :p If V-MODA made a giant, $500, open-backed, velour-padded monstrosity, I know I would be last in line to order one...considering none of those specifications appeal to me or fit my use patterns (I'm not a big "sitting inert, anchored to my home headphone station" type of person). :wink: What I should have said, I guess, was that V-MODA's M-100 replacement (of the kind focused, as SpiderNhan stated, on portability and DJ-friendly functionality) should be built around the XL pads and tuned with them in mind.

Could not agree more with your last sentence. The next headphone should be tuned with XL pads as the stock ones!

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #17,165 of 23,366
How water resistant are the M-100's? I play water polo and may be participating on swim team in the near future. Also, I don't know how rain may affect them. Does anybody have insight into this?

Rain is fine. Water polo probably not so much. I don't have any direct experience and am only working on Anakchan's review. But they don't seem to play nicely with gross amounts of water.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #17,167 of 23,366
Here us the link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/11445#post_9047358

beerchug.gif

I posted same link. Quite relevant though. 

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #17,168 of 23,366
I keep going back and fourth between wanting the xl pads.

The headphone has the perfect sound I want for my music listening, completely and entirelly all progressive house, electro house, and trance (edm i guess you could say!) but they are not 100% comfortable for me all the time and when gaming its hard to game with these.. hard to listen to the game and my friends on ventrilo because it all sounds like its right on top of my ears.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #17,170 of 23,366
Rain is fine. Water polo probably not so much. I don't have any direct experience and am only working on Anakchan's review. But they don't seem to play nicely with gross amounts of water.

Thanks for the replies, didn't know somebody had done that with their pair before. I will be spending a lot of time around pools and Boston may have more rainy weather than I'm used to (I'm originally from California). Good to know they will be relatively safe.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #17,171 of 23,366
Thanks for the replies, didn't know somebody had done that with their pair before. I will be spending a lot of time around pools and Boston may have more rainy weather than I'm used to (I'm originally from California). Good to know they will be relatively safe.

I have walked in the rain with both my M-80 and M-100 with no adverse affects. I wouldn't swim with them though. You play water polo with headphones on?

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #17,172 of 23,366
I have walked in the rain with both my M-80 and M-100 with no adverse affects. I wouldn't swim with them though. You play water polo with headphones on?

Haha, no, sorry for the misunderstanding. I simply wanted to know how they react to water in general, as I will be on the pool deck often and don't want to be constantly worrying about my headphone's safety.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #17,175 of 23,366
  I keep going back and fourth between wanting the xl pads.

The headphone has the perfect sound I want for my music listening, completely and entirelly all progressive house, electro house, and trance (edm i guess you could say!) but they are not 100% comfortable for me all the time and when gaming its hard to game with these.. hard to listen to the game and my friends on ventrilo because it all sounds like its right on top of my ears.

For electronic music, you shouldn't even consider the XL pads. Unless comfort is a huge issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back