V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #17,191 of 23,366
Thanks for your reply.  Has anyone tried the Astro Mixamp set-up with M-100?  Is the sound quality worth the cost? Cheers

Would like to know too, mixamp brings Dolby headphone too good for games, not sure how m100 would fare as a closed can tho unless the soundstage/positioning is top notch. Madlustenvys gaming hp thread has lots about mixamp not sure if any m100 users there tho. I've been thinking about getting a mixamp or similar for ps3 to make using a normal mic easier.

On another note, anyone compared m100 to P7? Interested to hear how the compare especially for electronic music; sounds like the p7 would have fuller mids and deep bass but not as much punch/midbass, so just a different signature.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #17,192 of 23,366
  Wat. Electronic music + M-100 + XL pads are basically my portable rig. XD

I guess its preference. For electronic music, I like the sound intimacy of the original pads as well as the hard hitting low mids. For rock, I like the neutrality of the XL Pads and the less fatiguing highs. To be honest, electronic and Rock Music will still sound great on either pad. If comfort was an issue for me on the original pads, I'd probably switch to the XLs. For me, the added comfort of the XL pads sacrificed sound quality. I've switched back and forth twice, and I'm sticking with the originals. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #17,195 of 23,366
I guess its preference. For electronic music, I like the sound intimacy of the original pads as well as the hard hitting low mids. For rock, I like the neutrality of the XL Pads and the less fatiguing highs. To be honest, electronic and Rock Music will still sound great on either pad. If comfort was an issue for me on the original pads, I'd probably switch to the XLs. For me, the added comfort of the XL pads sacrificed sound quality. I've switched back and forth twice, and I'm sticking with the originals. 

My main concern was electronic music and the XL pads. Good to know they are worth it there.

Edit: 100th post for me and 17200th post on the M-100s!

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #17,197 of 23,366
Anybody tried to pair FIIO E12 with the m-100? With iPhone 5 source? What does it sound like? Would you recommend those as a set-up? If not , then What model of amp/Dac will add more spark, clarity, definition, and detail to the music using FIIO brand? Verza is too high for my budget.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #17,198 of 23,366
Anybody tried to pair FIIO E12 with the m-100? With iPhone 5 source? What does it sound like? Would you recommend those as a set-up? If not , then What model of amp/Dac will add more spark, clarity, definition, and detail to the music using FIIO brand? Verza is too high for my budget.

Look for a discounted or used Sony PHA-1 for around $300.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #17,200 of 23,366

Are you running iOS 7 on your iPhone?  Another option would be to use a Lightning to USB adapter from Apple to a USB cable to an outboard DAC/amp that works with iDevices.  Right now, I think the least expensive way to go in this direction would be the Fiio E07K (less than $100US) but I have not tested this Fiio model.  I am fairly certain that the E07K works with iPads when set on no USB charging and using the CCK or Lightning to USB adapter.  

In any event, if you use a DAC/amp and connect digitally to your iPhone, you bypass the internal headphone amp of the iPhone which is (IMO) the weakest link in the chain.  And unlike 30-pin iDevices, Lightning-based ones don't have line outs, so a DAC is the way to go.  

I have used the Fiio E17 with the iPhone 5c, but it requires a hub in between.  I also have tried it with the microStreamer (less than $200US) which doesn't.  Here's a picture showing the setup:

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #17,201 of 23,366
Thanks Dr.Sheep. Would appreciate if people can help me find one too.

There should be more cheap PHA-1 for less than $300 once the PHA-2 is out soon.  Amazon already has a couple of new PHA-1 on sale that are close to $300 with free shipping.

Are you running iOS 7 on your iPhone?  Another option would be to use a Lightning to USB adapter from Apple to a USB cable to an outboard DAC/amp that works with iDevices.  Right now, I think the least expensive way to go in this direction would be the Fiio E07K (less than $100US) but I have not tested this Fiio model.  I am fairly certain that the E07K works with iPads when set on no USB charging and using the CCK or Lightning to USB adapter.

In any event, if you use a DAC/amp and connect digitally to your iPhone, you bypass the internal headphone amp of the iPhone which is (IMO) the weakest link in the chain.  And unlike 30-pin iDevices, Lightning-based ones don't have line outs, so a DAC is the way to go.

I have used the Fiio E17 with the iPhone 5c, but it requires a hub in between.  I also have tried it with the microStreamer (less than $200US) which doesn't.  Here's a picture showing the setup:

This is another good option, and instead of the microStreamer, the AudioQuest DargonFly will work for this too.  However, you are still looking for a budget close to $300 with all the hardware and cabling.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #17,203 of 23,366
How's does sony PHA-1 sound vs the versa? With iPhone5 and m-100?

Less power (should not matter with the M-100) but very clean (think AudioQuest DragonFly level clean), and you will need a V-MODA Tuono cable, or equivalent, for it.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #17,204 of 23,366
Ha, she [the electronic artist] ≠ S.H.E [the Mandopop group], although I like some of their songs too.

A lot of Chinese pop is kind of the same. I tend to prefer Cantopop more though.

Or some of the Taiwanese rock artists.

Yup, S.H.E. Sounds pretty much how I remember it from ten years ago XD
But the other songs were pretty cool, I always like to hear new things and those were nice. Thanks for sharing them :)

Thanks for your reply.  Has anyone tried the Astro Mixamp set-up with M-100?  Is the sound quality worth the cost? Cheers

Just played 3 games with M-100, Turtle Beach DSS (same Dolby Headphone as the Mixamp, less hiss, but no chat control), and CoD4. Just for you. Soundstage isn't as airy or broad as the best (AD700, MA900, Q701), but surround imaging/positional cues with Dolby headphone are distinct. Even though the DSS has less hiss, you can still hear white noise in the background in between matches. The noise isn't volume dependent though... So if you hook up the E12 and turn the DSS almost all the way up and the E12 to like 10 or 11 o'clock, you hear no hiss, and a more visceral impact to gun sounds and explosions.

Don't get fooled though, DoD4's sound engine is very smart, so if you can only hear a helicopter through a doorway, it will sound like it's coming from say your right, when actually the helicopter is to your left on the other side of the building, just from an angle you would actually be able to hear it from in real life (through the door and not x-Ray hearing, lol). Just about the only thing the sound engine doesn't emulate through surround, is height cues :/

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #17,205 of 23,366
  This is another good option, and instead of the microStreamer, the AudioQuest DargonFly will work for this too.  However, you are still looking for a budget close to $300 with all the hardware and cabling.

One could get in less expensively, I think.  Assuming the Fiio E07K works without a hub (have not checked personally, but there have been reports that it works hub-less with the iPad), one could use the Fiio E07K + official appropriate Apple Camera dongle + USB A to mini USB cable, which all in is less than $140 at current prices.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back