V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #17,178 of 23,366
I just purchased the matte black M-100 and they so fantastic so far. The sound is pretty much ideal for all the things that I intend to use it for such as games, movies and music. The only downside to me would be the comfort. I have been reading a lot of posts on Head-Fi saying that stretching the headband would help. It does help extend my listening time but not by much. My ears would feel discomfort after about 1.5 hours of use. The top lobe of my ear would begin to touch the driver and I would be force to take it off. For music listening, this isn't a problem but when I'm playing games or watching movies, this is a really big issue for me. Does anyone that suffered discomfort with the M-100 know if it will get better over time? Thanks. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #17,179 of 23,366
  I just purchased the matte black M-100 and they so fantastic so far. The sound is pretty much ideal for all the things that I intend to use it for such as games, movies and music. The only downside to me would be the comfort. I have been reading a lot of posts on Head-Fi saying that stretching the headband would help. It does help extend my listening time but not by much. My ears would feel discomfort after about 1.5 hours of use. The top lobe of my ear would begin to touch the driver and I would be force to take it off. For music listening, this isn't a problem but when I'm playing games or watching movies, this is a really big issue for me. Does anyone that suffered discomfort with the M-100 know if it will get better over time? Thanks. 

Comfort does improve over time, but it sounds like you would benefit from the XL pads.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, IMO comfort goes from a "6" to a "9" with the XL pads.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #17,180 of 23,366

Suggest you read a few pages of this thread. Comfort is discussed at length, and a lot of guys had discomfort. It resulted in the development of XL pads, which solve the problem you described. Good stuff and only $20.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #17,181 of 23,366
Suggest you read a few pages of this thread. Comfort is discussed at length, and a lot of guys had discomfort. It resulted in the development of XL pads, which solve the problem you described. Good stuff and only $20.

I've been considering the XL pads but I've been reading that the XL pads do change the sound signature of the M-100s a bit. I really like the sound on the M-100s as it is. Would changing to the XL pads make a noticeable difference in its sound signature? I mainly listen to Hip-Hop, R&B, Eletronic, D&B, Pop and Classical. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #17,182 of 23,366

I've been considering the XL pads but I've been reading that the XL pads do change the sound signature of the M-100s a bit. I really like the sound on the M-100s as it is. Would changing to the XL pads make a noticeable difference in its sound signature? I mainly listen to Hip-Hop, R&B, Eletronic, D&B, Pop and Classical. 

I don't like the way the XL pads sound, but others find it an improvement. For me, jazz, rock and EDM sounded better while pop lost its energy. Weirdly enough I didn't test the XL pads with classical. Just haven't been in a mood for it recently.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #17,183 of 23,366
  I don't like the way the XL pads sound, but others find it an improvement. For me, jazz, rock and EDM sounded better while pop lost its energy. Weirdly enough I didn't test the XL pads with classical. Just haven't been in a mood for it recently.

I guess I'll  let these stock earpads break in for a couple more weeks to see if I notice a difference in comfort. I really enjoy the sound that comes out of the M-100s as it is. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #17,184 of 23,366

I'd have been interested in a comparison with classical music (even though the conventional Head-fi wisdom is that one should use completely different headphones).  Anyone?

I also wonder whether the sonic difference for most listeners who might find the original pads intolerable would be as dramatic as it has been for some of the posters here. 

Would a person who hadn't heard the original pads' sound be disinclined to like the the XLs' and, by extension, the M-100s'?

Also:  Some of the earlier posts stated the XLs were leather (which would be a treat for $20), while later posters have said they were pleather or leather-like.  Which is it?  It seems as though enough people have the pads to give us a definitive answer -- though I'd be surprised if real leather weren't mentioned in marketing and on the product page.

Whatever the disadvantages of the XLs, I'm still appreciative that a headphones company made them available for an existing model based on Head-fi feedback.  That's no small investment in time, money, production and marketing.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #17,185 of 23,366

I'd have been interested in a comparison with classical music (even though the conventional Head-fi wisdom is that one should use completely different headphones).  Anyone?

As the bass is toned down a bit, the highs extend a bit further and the soundstage is a bit bigger, I enjoy instrumental more with the XL pads.  I say instrumental because I don't listen to classical and the closest music in my collection would be movie soundtracks.

I also wonder whether the sonic difference for most listeners who might find the original pads intolerable would be as dramatic as it has been for some of the posters here. 

The comfort difference is many times more noticeable than the sonic difference which I would describle as subtle, yet present.

Would a person who hadn't heard the original pads' sound be disinclined to like the the XLs' and, by extension, the M-100s'?

If the M-100 launched with the XL pads, I would still rave about them.  I imaging there would be slightly less enthusiasm about the bass punch.

Also:  Some of the earlier posts stated the XLs were leather (which would be a treat for $20), while later posters have said they were pleather or leather-like.  Which is it?  It seems as though enough people have the pads to give us a definitive answer -- though I'd be surprised if real leather weren't mentioned in marketing and on the product page.

Definitely pleather.  Same material as standard pads based on texture.

Whatever the disadvantages of the XLs, I'm still appreciative that a headphones company made them available for an existing model based on Head-fi feedback.  That's no small investment in time, money, production and marketing.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #17,186 of 23,366
I havent had much time to come on, but I got the coil pro, the boom mic, and the XL pads. Now I have a cord coming out of everything and these head phones are literally glued to my head. I don't have a ear judge what's sounds better, but IMO the XL rumbles more at a louder volume than the stock. Before I had the XL pad I would wear it all day too but I would have to give it air and rest it. But now with the XL I seriously don't take it off unless I'm at work/shower/sleeping. Mind you would love to leave them on while doing those things too but I can't . Lol. I'm happy with the mic only issues I seem to get is when the mic is muted(switch) and I increase the volume, the computer would pick up the music(I think cause I see my input moving). The coil pro is perfect. Just the feeling I need when I'm jamming in my basement. And I will get to try out my faders this weekend . Nothing but improvements for me. Thank you v-moda team and Val for listening to our complaints/feedbacks.

And I didn't notice the rust between the earpads until I changed the pads. And if it wasn't for getting the XL pads I wouldn't have ever check. But I believe it should be maintained regularly. I don't know how to clean it now or get rid of it. But I think it should be suggested to new users to take out the pads and clean it regularly, so it's not a suprise and people are aware, cause i was like what the hell is that... But anywho just a FYI .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back