V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #1,696 of 23,366
V-MODA tweet approx. 2am EST:

@VMODA landed Vegas for #EDC and we've counted more Crossfades than B__ts at the airport for the first time! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #1,698 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone else here really hoping for some elegant color choices on top of the flashy ones. 

and yeah, I didn't really like the lp2 that much, even though I love bass, and if I crave some bass I normally can't get enough ^^, but I couldn't listen to the lp2 for anything but bass, and at some points it got annoying :/, but I did enjoy it for a good amount of time ^^

The LP2 is really very bass heavy, and presents little else. Still, I love my V-MODAs. :)

On a sidenote, I haven't seen a single soul in Singapore sporting a pair of V-MODA cans. I'm not sure if I've seen IEMs, as those are way more difficult to spot.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,699 of 23,366
Quote:

The LP2 is really very bass heavy, and presents little else. Still, I love my V-MODAs. :)

On a sidenote, I haven't seen a single soul in Singapore sporting a pair of V-MODA cans. I'm not sure if I've seen IEMs, as those are way more difficult to spot.

With EQing they sound quite nice though, but without EQing I was also a bit disappointed. 

My EQ settings for a more balanced sound (ignore "holes covered", they aren't lol).

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #1,700 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted%r0by RPGWiZaRD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With EQing they sound quite nice though, but without EQing I was also a bit disappointed. 

My EQ settings for a more balanced sound (ignore "holes covered"%2 they aren't lol).

Hey, thanks. I'll try that EQ setting later. I really need to bring the mids a little forward. They are really bass heavy, and sometimes bring that wall of bass effect that we were talking about in the other thread. The vocals on them sound quite recessed.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,702 of 23,366
Quote:

Hey, thanks. I'll try that EQ setting later. I really need to bring the mids a little forward. They are really bass heavy, and sometimes bring that wall of bass effect that we were talking about in the other thread. The vocals on them sound quite recessed.

My EQ settings for my LP2's are about the same as his.  I've also noticed that the mids being recessed are more pronounced with lower listening levels.

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,704 of 23,366
Quote:
Anybody like to EQ their m-80s? Seems that's the closer sound signature to the upcoming M-100 than the older, DJ-Centric LP2 headphones.

I don't normally EQ, but I was curious to what the M80s would sound like if I flattened the FR curve.  So I created an EQ that would do it.  Here it is:

I can give you specific points to what is EQ'ed and by how much.  Requires parametric EQ that supports at least 15 bands :p

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,705 of 23,366
Quote:

I don't normally EQ, but I was curious to what the M80s would sound like if I flattened the FR curve.  So I created an EQ that would do it.  Here it is:

I can give you specific points to what is EQ'ed and by how much.  Requires parametric EQ that supports at least 15 bands :p

Whoa.....this sounds weird lol, or at least my ballparking does

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #1,708 of 23,366
I find that technique never worked for me, I always use my own ears to EQ for my ears percievable optimal balance, often it matches the frequency response graphs quite well but not necessary always and the exact amounts needed to EQ rarely need to be adjusted THAT much which an FR graph may hint. Not to mention we rarely even want to hear a perfectly "linear"/flat frequency response, the ideal frequency response probably is different for every people, probably not a huge variation at all for some, but yea there's probably a difference. For example my "ideal" frequency response looks probably roughly like this (the limegreen drawn line):

Which I've grown to learn by testing different headphones, comparing their frequency responses as well as how I EQ them to get to that sound I find ideal to me. M-Audio Q40 headphones which this graph represents is the first headphone I've tested which is so close to my ideal frequency response that I haven't EQ'd it at all, I wouldn't say no to slightly more forward lower-mids for example but since it's a question of using the onboard chip's EQ (which isn't the very best either) + DirectSound vs no EQ + WASAPI, the WASAPI wins for me in that case over the 1~2dB or whatever I'd boost the lower-midrange. If I had a good hardware 31-band EQ for example I could probably improve it a little bit but not to the point I'd find it worth spending $250 or something to get a minor improvement.

At this point since I've kept EQing for many years and spent a good amount of time with tweaking the sound in general, I've spent lots of times with different Winamp plugins in the past and today I keep tweaking my Custom Dolby Headphone Foobar2000 config to reverse-EQ the change that plugin brings as well as mastering tracks for a producer friend of mine I've become so used with what frequency will sound like what regarding the instruments or vocals or whatever in some track so already when I put on a pair of headphones I automaticly start to analyze the frequency response in my head roughly whereabouts I hear the peaks and dips haha and make adjusts thereafter.

For less experienced EQ'ers I'd just recommend taking one slider at a time, then drag it both to the top and bottom and listen if it sounds better maxed or at the lowest setting to get an idea if it should be lowered or increased. Then go from the middle slowly decreasing or increasing depending on what sounded better to you until you start to hear the frequencies start to stick out from the rest of the range (at some point you will start hearing it) or if it was excessive until you think it's not excessive sounding anymore and then back-off a little on the slider so it doesn't stick out anymore and proceed to the next slider and do the same. You should get quite quickly a rough EQ setting like that, afterwards you can start finetuning the sliders.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #1,709 of 23,366
Quote:

My EQ settings for a more balanced sound (ignore "holes covered", they aren't lol).

Wow thanks! These sound 10x better now! But it'd be really useful if you could show the decibel values so I can use it on my EQ app on my iPod.

Edit: After a few minutes of toying around with the EQ, I've found this to sound pretty good, but it still does need a tad bit of critiquing.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,710 of 23,366
At this point in the thread, I have to point out that you guys aren't talking about the M-100 at all, or else you're talking about it in a very roundabout way.
Maybe there's no way to get back on topic because there's no news of the M-100...? It's funny how much of this thread has been speculation.

But the real reason I'm posting today is to have this thread take the lead over the M-80 thread for sheer number of posts. As it stands right now (before I submit my reply), both threads are at 1,708 replies to the OP's post. My submission puts the M-100 thread in the lead!! bahahaahahahaha!!
darthsmile.gif

Here's to excitement about the upcoming release!! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back