V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #15,931 of 23,366
My preferences are bass, with the requirement that the driver actually be the component providing it. Isnt "good sound" subjective? This forum is abound with people saying they are bassheads and then backpedaling one way or the other when faced with a bass heavy set of cans. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #15,933 of 23,366
Quote:
Would you consider it the bassiest headphone out there for $300? 

And what is the bassiest headphone of all?

This may be the bassiest of them all.  Definitely the bassiest I've heard and I've had a couple basshead contenders.  See my sig for examples of comparisons I'm using. 

It's called a Darth Beyer.  A Beyerdynamics DT770 80ohm model Frankensteined with extra deep wood cups, new cable and some driver tweaks that no one is quite sure what entails.  My ears are still moving a bit like a tuning fork after this afternoons session with my vintage Realistic receiver playing some Pandora through them. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #15,934 of 23,366
For probably the most extreme bass-head cans, Google XB1000

70 mm drivers (apparently the larges in the headphone world), FR starting at 2Hz and an probably the largest cushions known to man. 
o2smile.gif

Sadly does not come with wearer in pic below.

http://cfile7.uf.tistory.com/image/171F1A504D785A9D2D8286

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #15,938 of 23,366
Quote:
Again, if you're planning to amp them....get a ZO2.

^ XB700 most faded, XB1000 faded, M-100 not faded (matched at 1 kHz)

XB700 has the most bass of the 3 in this comparison.

That's interesting. I wonder why they'd market the XB1000 with an implication that it provides more bass than the 700... The dip at 2k Hz seems strange also.

C

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #15,940 of 23,366
Quote:
For probably the most extreme bass-head cans, Google XB1000

70 mm drivers (apparently the larges in the headphone world), FR starting at 2Hz and an probably the largest cushions known to man. 
o2smile.gif

Sadly does not come with wearer in pic below.

http://cfile7.uf.tistory.com/image/171F1A504D785A9D2D8286

Quote:
I had the 700s and sold them, Ive always wanted to try the 1000s. Supposedly with amping they kick hard. 

I suggest you check out hifiguy's review he posted awhile back when they first came out. According to him the XB1000 is NOT bassier then the XB700. According to him the bassiest of the XB line would be the XB500 which I can confirm. Although I've never heard the XB1000 I have owned the XB500 and still own the XB700. The XB500 is all mid and sub bass. Everything else is rather bland about it to the point you wonder where the mids and highs went. But, if you want bass that will cause your eyeballs to shoot across the room when you crank it up the XB500 is the bassiest I've ever heard. If you can still find it it's pretty cheaply priced too. If I could find an XB1000 for around 200 I'd buy it without a second thought. The pure novelty of owning such a massively sized 70mm sized can would be worth it.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #15,942 of 23,366
Quote:
if the 1000 is not bassy, I would assume its because the drivers are just so big a low power source cant move them properly. I know my 700s definitely opened up with the cmoy amp I had, but it still wasnt right/enough. 

Nope, the XB1000 was tuned for better quality bass not wub, wub, wub, in your face bass. It's supposed to be better layered and textured with a lot of detail and has a large sound stage. As for your comment about being driven properly, I suggest you look up hifiguy's YouTube channel, head-fi reviews and his head-fi profile page and see for yourself what gear he runs. The guy plays on the top tier end of the hobby with his headphone rig and definitely on the top tier end with his hi-fi setup. He has gear that's more then capable of driving a XB1000. You don't believe me then ask him yourself. I've seen the odd post from him on this thread so it's obvious he keeps an eye on whats going on with the M-100. Stay tuned, I'm sure once he see's these posts he'll chime in and clear up any questions or doubts you may have. By the way, I never said the XB1000 wasn't bassy, I said according to hifiguy's review it wasn't as bassy as the XB700. The bassiest of the XB line is the XB500 which I've owned and can confirm when compared to the XB700. If you're doubtful of what I'm saying that's easy to solve. An XB500 is an easy find on eBay and is cheap. Buy one and have a listen for yourself then come back and tell me it isn't bassier then your XB700. I guarantee you you won't think your XB700 is bassier.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #15,943 of 23,366
This is getting a bit offtopic but what kind of bass are you looking for? Punchiness? Impact? Slow rumbly bass or fast "attacking" bass? For example I was very dissappointed with XB700 in terms of punch & impact. XB700 provides a LOTS of soft, slow rumbly bass but doesn't pack a lot of punch. The hardstyle music I listen to therefore sounded wrong as the midbass didn't provide enough punch so it remained overly slow, soft and rumbly instead of having a more solid "hit" / punchiness to the bass.

From my experience testing different bassy headphones and analyzed frequency curves and how I EQ'd them etc, if you want maximum "punch & impact" for example it's actually beneficial with slight roll-off down deep rather than go linearly down to like below 10Hz. A maximum impact/punch is recieved if the bass curve has like a peak I'd say roughly around 80Hz and starts to roll off slightly after around 40Hz and in the upper end after about 150Hz and the more peaky the bass curve is the better from punch/impact point of view. Of course the construction of the headphone (pads, cups etc), the capabilities of the driver itself and the amping all play a role too.

I'm just guessing here but since you weren't satisfied with XB700 I'm guessing you're looking for more punch and impact in the bass which you WON'T be getting from a deeper extending bass. XB800/900 for example have very different kind of bass compared to XB700, it's maybe more of the bass you're looking for. XB800/900 sits on ear though so it absorbs a bit the "skin-feeling" ear-tickling-sensation that headphones that sit around the ear can provide.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #15,944 of 23,366
why is france holding a sale on the vmoda m100 and the rest of amazon isnt? its a big price difference if you ask me

http://www.amazon.fr/V-Moda-Crossfade-audiophile-filaire-réduction/dp/B00A39PPCG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376036115&sr=8-2&keywords=v+moda+m100

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #15,945 of 23,366
https://twitter.com/VMODA

So i guess they'll be a sale on monday. Hopefully M100's go for $200 or less, i'd definitely pick one up at that price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back