V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #15,961 of 23,366
Spending money on power is fine as long as it needs it, but the m-100 was made for mobile devices so getting such a high power amp just confuses me

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #15,962 of 23,366
Quote:
Spending money on power is fine as long as it needs it, but the m-100 was made for mobile devices so getting such a high power amp just confuses me

The best reason to do it is to fix the recess mid.  It's not a total fix but it does help a great deal.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #15,965 of 23,366
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #15,966 of 23,366
Quote:

The DAC/amp combo is really what sets Verza apart.  Verza takes M-100 and most other capable headphones to another level in the sense that I perceive the sound with greater clarity and resolution.  There are subtle sounds and tones as well as a natural spaciousness that come through with Verza vs. my Iphone direct.  It is especially apparent with vocals.  There is also a bass boost button as an added bonus which I rarely use because Verza seems to fill out the low end by bringing out the sound that is already on the track as opposed to having a default boost.

As with all high-end gear, the cost/benefit ratio is subjective, but there is a noticeable difference for portable audiophiles.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #15,968 of 23,366
Quote:
How does the Verza work with the phone part of a smartphone? Will the mic and buttons on the M-100 cable still work when the Verza is between the headphones and the phone?

Sadly, no.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #15,969 of 23,366

The best reason to do it is to fix the recess mid.  It's not a total fix but it does help a great deal.

Wait, you don't need to spend $600 to do that. O.o

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #15,970 of 23,366
Quote:
Wait, you don't need to spend $600 to do that. O.o

Ture, but I don't NEED a lot of things in my life either, I just want them.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #15,971 of 23,366
Quote:

Overall, we're talking about a improvement in sound. I think most of us believe that they do sound good, right out of the box but they really reach their true potential with additional clean power that most mobile devices dont provide.

Currently I'm running the M100's on The National from ALO Audio and the sound is really amazing. Mids are more forward, getting even more quake from the lows and the highs are more clear without being too bright.

The M100s are very efficient in terms of power so an amp isnt totally necessary but with a good amp, even a novice will notice a clear improvement.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #15,972 of 23,366
Quote:
Ture, but I don't NEED a lot of things in my life either, I just want them.

I think some of us wonder (myself included), if the verza is truly worth the price in comparison to similar amp/dac combos on the market today. I think you'd be hard presed to see it win in a comparison test against the ALO, Pico, RSA or some others in the same price range.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #15,973 of 23,366
Quote:

I think some of us wonder (myself included), if the verza is truly worth the price in comparison to similar amp/dac combos on the market today. I think you'd be hard presed to see it win in a comparison test against the ALO, Pico, RSA or some others in the same price range.

That's very true, but remember that the VERZA is pretty much the only one that supports both iOS and a majority of Android devices out there (and Windows RT, if you care.)  Of course for $600 amp only, then I will get the ones you mentioned anytime.  In fact, I am very likely to pick up a ReMK3-B+ or HiFi M8 in the future.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #15,975 of 23,366
Returned my M-100s to Amazon. Contacted V-Moda support and they told me that they don't cover shipping for replacements, which is understandable, but disappointing to say the least. 2 pairs hit with the same problem, very unlucky. Made one side of my $300 headphones feel like a Chinese knockoff. Maybe Amazon got a bad batch with damaged hinges.

Anyways, if V-Moda's Monday sale is decent and possible includes the XL pads, I'll order the M-100s again, but otherwise, my HA-S500s will be my portable fix until something else blows over. Sad though, since I really enjoyed the M-100 sound signature, how low-profile it was and its portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back