V-Moda Crossfade M80 vs AKG K518 value for money
Sep 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rfcg

New Head-Fier
Hi, new here but I would like your opinion on which of these headphones offers greatest value for money at the moment.

I have been looking at the V-Moda Crossfade M80, available at Amazon for £112
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crossfade-M-80-Shadow-On-Ear-Headphones/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347207248&sr=8-1

and the AKG K450, available for £42
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K450BLU-K450-Headphones-Navy/dp/B001F6M5DI

I know that these probably cannot be directly compared, however I basically would like to know if the M80's are worth more than double the price of the K450's.

Many thanks.

Edit: K450s are out, K518s are in!

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 7
I haven't heard the AKG, but the M-80 is a fantastic headphone with a huge portability factor.  It seems to be made to take quite the beating, I love mine and highly recommend it.  I really don't think there's more I could want from a portable can, all things considered.  Worst-case scenario, V-MODA has a 60 test drive program in case you don't like it.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 7
M-80 hands down... I haven't heard the K450, but I tried the Q460. I thought it was a very disappointing product, so did Tyll from Innerfidelity

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far.

I've now narrowed it down (ha ha!) to:

V-Moda M80 - everyone says they are brilliant, but they are more than twice the price of the others I am looking at, and they don't fold for portability.

AKG K518 - some mixed reviews, concerned you have to modify the headphones, removing foam etc to get them sounding decent.

Sennheiser PX200 II - again, lots of people saying they are excellent sounding for the size, love how they are small and fold, but really concerned about the reviews regarding durability and build quality. It seems common for the left ear to stop working after 6 months or so.

Again, I welcome your comments, need some help to narrow it down!

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 7
The M-80 may not fold, but it's a tiny headphone.  When I first saw them in person, I was a little surprised at the size.  The press photos don't seem to convey the size of them very well.  They just fit on my head at the largest setting.  I had the B&W P5s for a little bit and while those folded flat, the M-80 is just as portable IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back