V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Aug 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,952 of 2,828
Pretty sure it's the mids. Burned in for around 50 hours, tried lots of different ear positioning. It just makes my music sound as if it was encoded at very low bitrates but most of my stuff is either flac or 320 Kbps mp3 and I've never had the problem with quality phones before. I even tried a few of the spare cables i had in case that was the issue. It sounds kind of like my set of fake akg k450s from fleabay but with much better bass. In any case, to each their own and it saved me a hefty chunk of change since I'm sending these back. Glad you guys are enjoying yours! :)

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #1,953 of 2,828
That's really weird. One of the reasons I value the M-80s so highly is because even low-bitrate files sound great on them (pandora), although I usually use ALAC or CDs. I also find the headphone to be very balanced across the spectrum to my ears. To each their own and I hope you find what you're looking for. Maybe the upcoming M-100 might suit you better. It's worth looking into.

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,954 of 2,828
Quote:
Have been listening to my new pair for a fair bit..  As much as I want to like them I just can't.  For some reason the mids sounds extremely veiled to me, even compared to my incase sonics they are nowhere near as lush or smooth.  I've had M-Audio Q40s and Ultrasone Pro 900s at different points in time (not anymore) so I don't think it's just that I haven't heard nice cans.  Maybe I got a dud?  They just don't sound like $150+ dollar headphones to me.  

As mentioned previously, these things need a good 20 hours or so to "conform" to your ears and assuming you got the black ones, it could take even longer.  For some reason the grey pads on the white M80s break in a lot faster.  A little heat from your ears gets them molded correctly...just doesn't happen instantly.  Give em a chance!

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,955 of 2,828
I just picked this up, they seemed to be what im looking for as i returned a pair of HD25s because they clamped on my ears much and they got sore. I wore the m80s maybe for an hour or 2 (5 clicks from the smallest head band setting) and now i have a dull headache a different kind of discomfort to the HD25. I believe this is to the clamp force, which is weird because of most of the reviews Ive read say has a lighter clamp force then usual

I was wondering how do you guys wear them? Arm adjustment wise, do you have them the shortest they go while being on your ear and the headband a little tight on the head? or as long as they go on the ear while still touching/resting on your head? (7-8clicks from smallest)I tried the long way later in the day i felt that its looser/ less clamp force but seems less stable on the head not in a really bad way. obviously i have only had them for a day and the pads and band havent conformed to my head, but with the headache i dont know if i can go 20+hours, or maybe on the ear just isnt for me as i have big ears

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #1,956 of 2,828
Some of that might possibly be the earpads haven't softened up yet.  I found them to be rather uncomfortable when I first got them.  So either my head adjusted or the pads got softer.  I think it's a combination of both.  I do always need to make minor adjustments because they are so small that it's easy for them to move slightly out of the ideal listening position. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,957 of 2,828
I just picked this up, they seemed to be what im looking for as i returned a pair of HD25s because they clamped on my ears much and they got sore. I wore the m80s maybe for an hour or 2 (5 clicks from the smallest head band setting) and now i have a dull headache a different kind of discomfort to the HD25. I believe this is to the clamp force, which is weird because of most of the reviews Ive read say has a lighter clamp force then usual

I was wondering how do you guys wear them? Arm adjustment wise, do you have them the shortest they go while being on your ear and the headband a little tight on the head? or as long as they go on the ear while still touching/resting on your head? (7-8clicks from smallest)I tried the long way later in the day i felt that its looser/ less clamp force but seems less stable on the head not in a really bad way. obviously i have only had them for a day and the pads and band havent conformed to my head, but with the headache i dont know if i can go 20+hours, or maybe on the ear just isnt for me as i have big ears

Flex the headband until you get the desired clamping force. Then twist the band so the pads align with the angle of your ears. I find them pretty comfortable once adjusted and broken in.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,958 of 2,828
Quote:
Flex the headband until you get the desired clamping force. Then twist the band so the pads align with the angle of your ears. I find them pretty comfortable once adjusted and broken in.

ive gotten it to where its quite comfortable, one thing i have a problem with is the sound isolation. If I music playing loud enough I can't hear anyone in my office talking, but when i am watching a movie/tv show i cant hear every word not clearly just mumbling. I can live with i it i guess, but what I want to know is how does it compare to the HD25 on air plane. I had a pair for a bit on a plane with the velour pads and still have to turn the volume up to drown out the engine noise. Id imagine i would have to turn it up alot louder. How does the isolation compare to the M50 as well as this another consideration as my office/portable (travel not commute).

My opinions of the 2 i owned and why i am considering the m50
HD25 +s sound, isolation, -s uglier cable on the right (not a big deal but would prefer left as i keep my phone on the left)
M80 +s sound, looks (price too 151 on amazon seems way better than average) accessories -s isolation, seems small cups but could wait for m100 to go down in price

M50 + full size (less adjusting to get good seal) cheapest, folding,
seems like a good middle ground of looks sound, and isolation
-s long ass cable

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #1,959 of 2,828
Quote:

ive gotten it to where its quite comfortable, one thing i have a problem with is the sound isolation. If I music playing loud enough I can't hear anyone in my office talking, but when i am watching a movie/tv show i cant hear every word not clearly just mumbling. I can live with i it i guess, but what I want to know is how does it compare to the HD25 on air plane. I had a pair for a bit on a plane with the velour pads and still have to turn the volume up to drown out the engine noise. Id imagine i would have to turn it up alot louder. How does the isolation compare to the M50 as well as this another consideration as my office/portable (travel not commute).

My opinions of the 2 i owned and why i am considering the m50
HD25 +s sound, isolation, -s uglier cable on the right (not a big deal but would prefer left as i keep my phone on the left)
M80 +s sound, looks (price too 151 on amazon seems way better than average) -s isolation, seems small cups but good wait for m100 to go down in price

M50 + full size (less adjusting to get good seal) cheapest
seems like a good middle ground of looks sound, and isolation
-s long ass cable

I've been forgetting to say this but my M-80s suck on planes. I swear they actually make the engine louder somehow....

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,960 of 2,828
The isolation of the M50s and M-80s are comparable.

That said, I don't recommend any of them for a plane. I'm not a big IEM person but my Etymotic HF3s do the job on the plane. The isolation is bliss and so is the detailed sound.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,961 of 2,828
Quote:
The isolation of the M50s and M-80s are comparable.
That said, I don't recommend any of them for a plane. I'm not a big IEM person but my Etymotic HF3s do the job on the plane. The isolation is bliss and so is the detailed sound.

i guess for headphones this is as good as its going to get, i have a couple fans going on in my office i can still hear them with the m 80 with no sound although slightly attenuated but more tunnely. I also have a pair of 280 pros here, with no sound the fans sound about the same maybe little quieter with the 280s id imagine the m50 is about the same. 

I guess now what about comfort comparisons between the m50 and m80. yesterday i had the m80s on most of the day with no discomfort, but today my ear a little hot and the dull headache is somewhat back. i found that the 280s are comfortable maybe 30 min then after that the clamp force makes you want to throw them away. i do own a pair of 558s and find them to be the most comfortable for many hours with the dt880 being a close second ( i think i am  huge fan of velour pads ). obviously still got to wait for the m80 to settle, 

is the 60 day trial on if ordered from vmoda? or does this count with amazon as well (theirs is a 30day return policy)

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #1,962 of 2,828
Quote:
Pretty sure it's the mids. Burned in for around 50 hours, tried lots of different ear positioning. It just makes my music sound as if it was encoded at very low bitrates but most of my stuff is either flac or 320 Kbps mp3 and I've never had the problem with quality phones before. I even tried a few of the spare cables i had in case that was the issue. It sounds kind of like my set of fake akg k450s from fleabay but with much better bass. In any case, to each their own and it saved me a hefty chunk of change since I'm sending these back. Glad you guys are enjoying yours!
smily_headphones1.gif

I recommend turning the cable upside down so that the mic end is the one in the device u're playing the music from, there's something weird about the mic that made everything sound kind of bad, when I turned it everything was awesome though. I really really enjoy these cans.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,963 of 2,828
 they changed the mic cable, all the pics ive seen have the mic and the cable on the same plastic piece. The cable i received has it the mic where it used to be and the remote about 8in further down the cable.

Anyone know if they improved the mic? im not sure if i like the placement of the remote

edit: DISREGARD found the answer

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #1,965 of 2,828

Users who are viewing this thread

Back