V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jan 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #871 of 2,828
Okay, so I FINALLY was able to pick up my M-80's. I haven't listened to them at all because I want to let the drivers burn in for a few hours before I let them actually start breaking in and shaping to my head while I listen to them. My first impressions on these headphones as far as appearance and feel is.....kinda mixed. No doubt they are very sleek and stylish. I really like the exoskeleton case, and I really like the memory foam ear padding. However, the thing that I immediatly noticed when I placed them on my head is that these things are EXTREMELY small. I knew that they were on ear headphones and that they were smaller than the LP's, but so were my Ludacris SL150's. The SL150's had some weight to them, and they had ear pads that covered my entire ear, just a little bit too small to fit over my ears. With the M-80's, they only cover about 1/2- 3/4 of my ear. Also, while they are on your head, you really feel exactly how small they are. I really liked the size of the SL150 ear pads, however that is not to say that I won't be able to adjust to this size of an earpad. Don't get me wrong, the small feel to these headphones might not be a bad thing. I can tell right off the bat that between the durability and size of these headphones, these are a traveler's dream. After wearing them for a while, I very well might feel that I like the smaller feel, however as of right now, I just am not used to them. I definitely need to spend some more time with these headphones to get a more total feel. After I listen to them for a while, I will put in my two cents with a total review
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #874 of 2,828
Hey everyone! 

First post here, I'm just a little college student who wants a little taste of this little sinful hobby. These V-modas really caught my eye and I've been trying to do a little research to see if they're the best for me, they would be my first real high(ish)-end can. I'm mainly a metalhead (an... aspiring... drummer myself) who is big into crushing and/or technical death metal but also love atmospheric, symphonic black metal as well. I listen to an ounce of pop, a pound of industrial, and a good bit of busy and chill electronica on the side. 

But mainly, I wanted to see if there were any more metalhead audiophiles with perspectives on these m-80's. From what I've read I should refer to Grado immediately, but I desire a multi-purpose, versatile and also portable headphone that I could use on my computer for gaming and such. I understand that it's nearly impossible to come to a compromise, but I wanted to see if these were the right for me. I will shamelessly admit that i'm gravitating to these from an aesthetic standpoint, these headphones have little match.

thanks in advanced! 

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #875 of 2,828
Over the weekend I've put my M-80 through a little bit more hell. Took it snowboarding and temps ranged from -5C to -15C. I further took it off-piste backcountry (not that I condone this! Please ride safely!!) :-

The M-80's held up well in the cold weather. Noted that it was dry snow so little condensation got in. Admittedly due to the poor isolation, I could hear a lot of wind noise whilst boarding. However, that also felt somewhat safer since I could hear people around me (useful whilst on-piste). It didn't fall off my head whilst riding; the clamping force was strong enough to keep it on but not painful to my ears.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #876 of 2,828

Quote:
Hey everyone! 

First post here, I'm just a little college student who wants a little taste of this little sinful hobby. These V-modas really caught my eye and I've been trying to do a little research to see if they're the best for me, they would be my first real high(ish)-end can. I'm mainly a metalhead (an... aspiring... drummer myself) who is big into crushing and/or technical death metal but also love atmospheric, symphonic black metal as well. I listen to an ounce of pop, a pound of industrial, and a good bit of busy and chill electronica on the side. 

But mainly, I wanted to see if there were any more metalhead audiophiles with perspectives on these m-80's. From what I've read I should refer to Grado immediately, but I desire a multi-purpose, versatile and also portable headphone that I could use on my computer for gaming and such. I understand that it's nearly impossible to come to a compromise, but I wanted to see if these were the right for me. I will shamelessly admit that i'm gravitating to these from an aesthetic standpoint, these headphones have little match.

thanks in advanced! 

If you didn't add gaming and portable use I would say the grados would be a much better choice (except for the electronica and pop) however if you need portable and gaming the grados wouldn't be your best choice. Out of the two I would recommend the M-80s but I don't speak for anything but my M80 and grado SR-80i.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #877 of 2,828
Quote:
The M-80's held up well in the cold weather. Noted that it was dry snow so little condensation got in. Admittedly due to the poor isolation, I could hear a lot of wind noise whilst boarding. However, that also felt somewhat safer since I could hear people around me (useful whilst on-piste). It didn't fall off my head whilst riding; the clamping force was strong enough to keep it on but not painful to my ears.

Yep, I have also noticed that these do not fair too well with wind noise, however, I personally think that they let in enough sound for you to be aware of your surroundings xD

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #878 of 2,828
In response to Vaed:

The Ultrasone HFI-780 would serve you well if it meshes with your ears. People either love or hate them, but they are good with a variety of genres. The bass is fairly robust, mids slightly forward, and highs slightly bright and aggressive (but less so than Grado). Good soundstage for movies, and presumably gaming. I don't have the M-80, so I can't compare. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #880 of 2,828

Quote:
Over the weekend I've put my M-80 through a little bit more hell. Took it snowboarding and temps ranged from -5C to -15C. I further took it off-piste backcountry (not that I condone this! Please ride safely!!) :-

beerchug.gif
 I like this post 

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #881 of 2,828

Quote:
If you didn't add gaming and portable use I would say the grados would be a much better choice (except for the electronica and pop) however if you need portable and gaming the grados wouldn't be your best choice. Out of the two I would recommend the M-80s but I don't speak for anything but my M80 and grado SR-80i.

Thanks! I'll probably check out the Grados sooner or later just to see what the fuss is about; they might make a good pair of alternative headphones when I just want to rock out. 

Quote:
In response to Vaed:

The Ultrasone HFI-780 would serve you well if it meshes with your ears. People either love or hate them, but they are good with a variety of genres. The bass is fairly robust, mids slightly forward, and highs slightly bright and aggressive (but less so than Grado). Good soundstage for movies, and presumably gaming. I don't have the M-80, so I can't compare. 

Nevertheless, it's another headphone for me to look out for. From what you've said it seems like a good compromise between the two (price-wise, too!). I just need to find a place to audition these guys. Thanks alot!

Are there any retailers that I can audition the M-80's at? That would be really helpful in my analysis.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #882 of 2,828
The only store that would allow you to audition them would be a microsoft store (last I checked) and there are only a handful of those.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #883 of 2,828

Quote:
In response to Vaed:

Over all to me the M80 is better.  Sound and comfort.  However, the 780 has far better extension at both ends, can handle much more power/volume and can be made to sound like a subwoofer for people who must have BASS.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #884 of 2,828
Does anyone who has m80s also have HFI-580s? I'd like to know how they compare, especially bass quantity-wise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Over all to me the M80 is better.  Sound and comfort.  However, the 780 has far better extension at both ends, can handle much more power/volume and can be made to sound like a subwoofer for people who must have BASS.

I believe the 580s have even more bass than the 780. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #885 of 2,828
Hey guys, here's my review of the m-80 from a consumer standpoint. I'm not an expert on sound description but hopefully this review could be helpful for someone like me (not an audiophile, but enjoys good sound quality). (TL;DR: They sound great and the build quality is as excellent as everyone said, although the lack of boomy bass may turn off bassheads. They go well with most genres which is their best quality). This is my first post and review here, btw.
I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means as I don't really do any critical listening. I usually listen to my music on the go (train, bus, walking), at work, at the gym and at home while doing other stuff.
My sources are my 2nd gen iPod Touch (out of a fiio e6, as the audio jack doesn't work anymore), Sansa clip+ (mostly for the gym and running), Sony Ericsson Xperia arc and out of my Dell laptop. Almost all of my files are 320kbps. I value looks, sound and durability. I mostly listen to EDM, a lot of NIN, some rock and some hip hop, plus the occasional movie/tv episodes on the laptop.

I just got into this hobby (since September of last year) and I've returned or sold the following headphones in the past 6 months or so:
- Sennheiser hd428: returned, first foray into "good quality" headphones, I didn't use an amp, so they sounded pretty weak out of my iPod. Plus the cable seemed pretty flimsy.
- Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals: Returned, didn't like the plastic build and the look, the sound was pretty good though. Clamping force was a bit too strong for long session listening.
- Sony MDR-XB500: First basshead headphones, liked the comfort and bass, but hated the noise leak, lack of isolation, and the slow nature of the sound. Returned.
- V-Moda Crossfade LP: Second basshead headphones, liked the build quality, packaging and bass but had some problems with the fit (the shape of my ears made them akward to obtain a good seal and they got uncomfortable after 30 min-1h = sweat building up in the back of my ears), the weight (nice materials but i felt they were heavy on my head) and the sound signature didn't go well with some of my NIN. Sold.
- Skullcandy Mix Master: I based this purchase based on Tyll's review over at innerfidelity. Loved their sound (good bass, mostly a DJ oriented sound, sounded a bit closed in, good for electronic music but not as much for other genres) and design but didn't like the glossy plastic, the mostly plastic build and the skullcandy logos made them look cheap. For 340$ (that's with taxes), I didn't feel like they were worth it. Returned.

Here's what I currently have:
- Koss Portapro: great headphones, had them for 2 years, I just can't use them on the go as they're open headphones.
- Shure SE215: first iem, had them for 2 months. Great for the train commute, although i hate fiddling with them when putting them on. The fit isn't as secure in my ears (I tried all the tips included) and I have to push them back in now and then. I still use them for the great isolation though.
- Sennheiser PMX680: My sports headphones. I used them mainly for running but I recently stopped using them as I don't like the headband design (clamps too much). Decent SQ when running (the bass is what you'll hear most when running).

As you see, I'm pretty picky! I was looking for something portable, that sounded great unamped, closed but not completely noise isolating (need to hear my surroundings for safety reasons and at the office, if my phone rings or someone talks to me), that is well built and durable. Having owned a v-moda product before, I followed the progress of the m-80 closely in the past few months and they seemed to meet most of my needs so I ordered a pair last week. It took them 4 days to get here (Montreal). Very fast delivery time. Unfortunately, I had to pay full price as there were no coupons at the time, so they cost me 249$ with the 20$ shipping costs. They luckily included a 3rd audio cable (no mic, no buttons) which was the only one compatible with my cellphone. I listened to them for about 10 hours. No noticeable burn-in (my ears are perhaps not well trained to notice the difference).

Sound wise, these are fairly balanced and flat compared to some of the headphones I previously owned. I usually prefer a more "consumer friendly" V-shaped sound. The bass is punchy, tight, clean and doesn't bleed a lot into the midrange. They won't satisfy the bassheads out there though. The problem here might be that the bass is not boomy and isn't always present compared to basshead cans like the XB500 or the LP. These weren't marketed as basshead cans so I was expecting this. For long listening sessions, this is great as you won't get tired of being constantly punched in the face by bass. I still think they're good for EDM. They do respond easily to EQing but with my cheap fiio e6, all it really does is boost the volume. I usually prefer keeping the EQ flat. The mids are very good. Vocals on trance songs sound lush, smooth and quite inviting. The highs are on the warmer side which is a good thing as I plan on listening with these for long sessions and a bright can can get tiring. Tracks like "Not so pretty now" leave you wanting more in terms of the brightness of the hi-hats/cymbals but detail is quite good from such a small pair of headphones. Again, you can EQ them. Instrument separation is decent and soundstage is okay/good for a small closed can. This might be due to the v-port vents advertised
Hey guys, here's my review of the m-80 from a consumer standpoint. I'm not an expert on sound description but hopefully this review could be helpful for someone like me (not an audiophile, but enjoys good sound quality). (TL;DR: They sound great and the build quality is as excellent as everyone said, although the lack of boomy bass may turn off bassheads. They go well with most genres which is their best quality). This is my first post and review here, btw.
I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means as I don't really do any critical listening. I usually listen to my music on the go (train, bus, walking), at work, at the gym and at home while doing other stuff.
My sources are my 2nd gen iPod Touch (out of a fiio e6, as the audio jack doesn't work anymore), Sansa clip+ (mostly for the gym and running), Sony Ericsson Xperia arc and out of my Dell laptop. Almost all of my files are 320kbps. I value looks, sound and durability. I mostly listen to EDM, a lot of NIN, some rock and some hip hop, plus the occasional movie/tv episodes on the laptop.

I just got into this hobby (since September of last year) and I've returned or sold the following headphones in the past 6 months or so:
- Sennheiser hd428: returned, first foray into "good quality" headphones, I didn't use an amp, so they sounded pretty weak out of my iPod. Plus the cable seemed pretty flimsy.
- Sennheiser HD-25 Adidas Originals: Returned, didn't like the plastic build and the look, the sound was pretty good though. Clamping force was a bit too strong for long session listening.
- Sony MDR-XB500: First basshead headphones, liked the comfort and bass, but hated the noise leak, lack of isolation, and the slow nature of the sound. Returned.
- V-Moda Crossfade LP: Second basshead headphones, liked the build quality, packaging and bass but had some problems with the fit (the shape of my ears made them akward to obtain a good seal and they got uncomfortable after 30 min-1h = sweat building up in the back of my ears), the weight (nice materials but i felt they were heavy on my head) and the sound signature didn't go well with some of my NIN. Sold.
- Skullcandy Mix Master: I based this purchase based on Tyll's review over at innerfidelity. Loved their sound (good bass, mostly a DJ oriented sound, sounded a bit closed in, good for electronic music but not as much for other genres) and design but didn't like the glossy plastic, the mostly plastic build and the skullcandy logos made them look cheap. For 340$ (that's with taxes), I didn't feel like they were worth it. Returned.

Here's what I currently have:
- Koss Portapro: great headphones, had them for 2 years, I just can't use them on the go as they're open headphones.
- Shure SE215: first iem, had them for 2 months. Great for the train commute, although i hate fiddling with them when putting them on. The fit isn't as secure in my ears (I tried all the tips included) and I have to push them back in now and then. I still use them for the great isolation though.
- Sennheiser PMX680: My sports headphones. I used them mainly for running but I recently stopped using them as I don't like the headband design (clamps too much). Decent SQ when running (the bass is what you'll hear most when running).

As you see, I'm pretty picky! I was looking for something portable, that sounded great unamped, closed but not completely noise isolating (need to hear my surroundings for safety reasons and at the office, if my phone rings or someone talks to me), that is well built and durable. Having owned a v-moda product before, I followed the progress of the m-80 closely in the past few months and they seemed to meet most of my needs so I ordered a pair last week. It took them 4 days to get here (Montreal). Very fast delivery time. Unfortunately, I had to pay full price as there were no coupons at the time, so they cost me 249$ with the 20$ shipping costs. They luckily included a 3rd audio cable (no mic, no buttons) which was the only one compatible with my cellphone. I listened to them for about 10 hours. No noticeable burn-in (my ears are perhaps not well trained to notice the difference).

Sound wise, these are fairly balanced and flat compared to some of the headphones I previously owned. I usually prefer a more "consumer friendly" V-shaped sound. The bass is punchy, tight, clean and doesn't bleed a lot into the midrange. They won't satisfy the bassheads out there though. The problem here might be that the bass is not boomy and isn't always present compared to basshead cans like the XB500 or the LP. These weren't marketed as basshead cans so I was expecting this. For long listening sessions, this is great as you won't get tired of being constantly punched in the face by bass. I still think they're good for EDM. They do respond easily to EQing but with my cheap fiio e6, all it really does is boost the volume. I usually prefer keeping the EQ flat. The mids are very good. Vocals on trance songs sound lush, smooth and quite inviting. The highs are on the warmer side which is a good thing as I plan on listening with these for long sessions and a bright can can get tiring. Tracks like "Not so pretty now" leave you wanting more in terms of the brightness of the hi-hats/cymbals but detail is quite good from such a small pair of headphones. Again, you can EQ them. Instrument separation is decent and soundstage is okay/good for a small closed can. This might be due to the v-port vents advertised. It creates a bit of an airy, open feel but still sounds closed overall. This can cause sound leakage at high volume. Isolation is decent with music playing but at low volumes (at the office, for example) you can hear background noises such as people talking and phones ringing, and, disappointingly, there is some microphonics. The rubbing of the cable on my shirt collar is quite noticeable at low volumes. Finally, I used them for interval runs on the treadmill and they stay on quite well, although I'd recommend using earbuds for longer runs as your ears won't sweat as much.
. It creates a bit of an airy, open feel. This can cause sound leakage at high volume. Isolation is decent with music playing but at low volumes (at the office, for example) you can hear background noises such as people talking and phones ringing, and, disappointingly, there is some microphonics. The rubbing of the cable on my shirt collar is quite noticeable at low volumes. Finally, I used them for interval runs on the treadmill and they stay on quite well, although I'd recommend using earbuds for longer runs as your ears won't sweat as much.

I highly recommend these cans and I'll be keeping them (finally!). They meet all of my criteria plus they're great earmuffs for winter. I'll be watching the m-100 closely.

Thank you for reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back