V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #631 of 2,828

Quote:
Just got back from B&H Photo in NYC.  They have the Crossfade LPs available on their amped rack for listening.  Since it's close to my office I visit from time to time, and I've given these a brief listen each time I've went.  Earlier in this thread someone said burn-in helps kill that bizarre reverb-in-a-cavern effect, but that hasn't happened on the floor model.  They are visually arresting cans, so I can't help but gravitate towards them as soon as I see them, and I'm sure that's true for many people.  But I swear that cavern anomaly is killing a lot of potential sales.  I anyone from V-Moda reads this, maybe have a local/regional sales rep bring them a burned-in pair to use as floor model?  Or do you think that may artificially boost the number of returns if customers find that effect on their set when they get them home?  It just feels a shame that the true sound may not be represented to potential users.

Thanks for info, I'll make sure they get M-80 and LP2 there ASAP, LP is virtually sold out now but I agree the amp and burn-in makes a big difference and having a bad rig setup is worse than none at all!  Our listen stations sound amazing with LP, LP2 or M-80.  Music matters too!  Many store devices are low powered and compressed-by-novice o ripped from youtube MP3s.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #632 of 2,828

Quote:
Sorry if it's been asked before, what type of genre of music do you like? What use would you have for them?

Dubstep, progressive, classical, alternative, rock, metal, jazz, some oldies, country.  I'd say I mostly listen to classical though.  And this would be on the go in school mostly, which is why im concerned about isolation.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #633 of 2,828
Val, any chance you'll do another give-away once the M-100 comes out? 
tongue.gif
 Really excited about them although the price tag is killin' me.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #635 of 2,828

Quote:
Val, any chance you'll do another give-away once the M-100 comes out? 
tongue.gif
 Really excited about them although the price tag is killin' me.

I am working on some options on another beta program, but it maybe different...You know I'll figure out something for the Head-Fiers which help craft them so that it is win-win.

Unfortunately though, as a self-financed company we can't sell more at a loss and make it up in volume!!!  My ULTIMATE dream product is still 3 generations away and will require lots of investment to make/tool (perhaps 2-3 years). Once it is completed, I may have to take a sabatical!  

Don't worry, each product has its own "unique" use-case.  Although I am damn tempted to make this existing unit LP-1000, I hear ya'll loud and clear.  Come by at CES and try some options out!

-V

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #636 of 2,828
So far loving my m80's, I may try and do a review soon. (I'm still not that good at headphone gear reviews, but I'm experienced with pc hardware and guitar/bass gear reviewing). I have about 7 hrs burned in and I can tell a slight difference so far and for the better even though they were good out of box. :)

Like I said before, next Christmas I may be picking up whatever new model you guys have out.
Also what are some suggested budget amp/dac's that work well with the m80, I know these are easy to drive but I'm sure a better rig will help overall sound. I was thinking of the O2 amp or the new desktop amp/dac being designed by the guy who made the O2 amp

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #637 of 2,828

Quote:
I am working on some options on another beta program, but it maybe different...You know I'll figure out something for the Head-Fiers which help craft them so that it is win-win.

Unfortunately though, as a self-financed company we can't sell more at a loss and make it up in volume!!!  My ULTIMATE dream product is still 3 generations away and will require lots of investment to make/tool (perhaps 2-3 years). Once it is completed, I may have to take a sabatical!  

Don't worry, each product has its own "unique" use-case.  Although I am damn tempted to make this existing unit LP-1000, I hear ya'll loud and clear.  Come by at CES and try some options out!

-V

For a family run business that basically just started producing full size headphones, I have to say that your company is very far ahead of the industry if you can market a ULTIMATE product in just three years.

I am already comsidering letting the M-80s go to pick up the M-100 when they come out.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #638 of 2,828

Quote:
Dubstep, progressive, classical, alternative, rock, metal, jazz, some oldies, country.  I'd say I mostly listen to classical though.  And this would be on the go in school mostly, which is why im concerned about isolation.

Considering it'd be on the go and the isolation is important, I'd probably have to say the LP2 would be better suited for you if only for the fact that they're more comfortable, more sleek, and have the best isolation.

As for your genres, I listen to a lot of rock, oldies, orchestra (OSTs for like Final Fantasy for example), and the LP2 handle them very well. I think I can say that the LP2 performs well with most genres, but for any songs that have a good bass presence, it will seem like the bass is what's most emphasized.

I've also got to say that the LP2 have been used for not only music but for gaming and for movie use for me, and they work well for those uses too.

Those are just my insight and usage that I have for my LP2.

Lastly, there is a 60 day auditioning period, if I remember correctly. The best way to properly audition both is to get both right now so you can compare them directly. Otherwise, get whichever one, see how it fits well for you and if it doesn't work for you, send it back in and try again.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #639 of 2,828

Quote:
For a family run business that basically just started producing full size headphones, I have to say that your company is very far ahead of the industry if you can market a ULTIMATE product in just three years.

I am already comsidering letting the M-80s go to pick up the M-100 when they come out.

THANKS!  Actually M-80/LP/LP2/M-100 have been in development 5-6+ years now (and ~100,000 gray hairs), but hey who's counting.  V-MODA's first EVER product, is nearly SEVEN YEARS in development (it will launch this year). I had the first working LP/M-80s at CES 4 years ago - they were then the Crossfade SL/LP, I'll post pics of the early machines and their 20+ evolutions soon.  

I never release a product til I'd use it myself, and I'm a OCD techie and former software engineer-turned producer/remixer, to a fault!  M-80 came out long after LP because of the ergonomics of on-ear, and I decided to go "Head-Fi" sound or which for me personally translates to Mobile Producer/Studio.  As I'm sitting here staring at my favorite M-100 version since Can-Jam and the 50+ variations, it sounds a bit more like a "MLP-1000" hybrid with a new twist (can't tell!).  Tough decisions to make if it is going to come out soon, it's already slipped past February because of the fine-tuning.

I still can't give up my M-80, as it is so ULTRA portable and easy to wear/carry everywhere.  Also, the M-100 as of now sounds better amped vs M-80 as its 50 vs 40mm.  They will be slightly different weapons, yet both gladiators that I am confident will win many battles.   

From a consumer POV, I'm just thrilled this hobby is a much better bang for the buck than the days of my high-end car or home stereos (my dream theater setup is for sale, FYI).  It feels more gratifying to have a rack of headphones like coats/shoes, than all the interconnects and components of home audio! 

Happy Holidays everyone!

-v

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #641 of 2,828
Ugh, Amazon said my delivery is  delayed. But the NEW delivery date specified is earlier than the original delivery date? Or could Amazon have confused the delivery date meaning with shipping date? Because that would make much more sense...

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #642 of 2,828
For those who have asked if the M-80 can do metal well, my personal opinion and I emphasize this is only my opinion it can shine with certain metal sub genres. In my humble opinion the M-80 stands out the best with heavily drum driven metal such as metalcore. As I Lay Dying's song Confined sounds especially good to my ears on it. If you're a drum enthusiast who really digs slamming detailed percussion the M-80 will deliver in spades. Other sub genres is does not to badly in is old school doom and it also does especially very well in funeral doom. Old school heavy metal such as Iron Maiden or Twisted Sister it sounds pretty good too. Power speed and death it can do OK but lacks the aggression some of the hardcore metal heads out there may be looking for.

@Val
Dude you gotta talk to your engineers one day and get them working on a killer sounding rocker headphone that will knock the metal crowd on their ass. A V-MODA headphone with in your face Grado like aggression coupled with the M-80 liquid mids and detailed bottom end would make us gear/music geeks really stand up and take notice.

If you ever do make a headphone like that I'll be the first to buy it and the picture above is going to be my shield pic

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #643 of 2,828

Quote:

@Val
Dude you gotta talk to your engineers one day and get them working on a killer sounding rocker headphone that will knock the metal crowd on their ass. A V-MODA headphone with in your face Grado like aggression coupled with the M-80 liquid mids and detailed bottom end would make us gear/music geeks really stand up and take notice.

ya,he knows what he is talking about.

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #644 of 2,828

Quote:
Considering it'd be on the go and the isolation is important, I'd probably have to say the LP2 would be better suited for you if only for the fact that they're more comfortable, more sleek, and have the best isolation.

As for your genres, I listen to a lot of rock, oldies, orchestra (OSTs for like Final Fantasy for example), and the LP2 handle them very well. I think I can say that the LP2 performs well with most genres, but for any songs that have a good bass presence, it will seem like the bass is what's most emphasized.

I've also got to say that the LP2 have been used for not only music but for gaming and for movie use for me, and they work well for those uses too.

Those are just my insight and usage that I have for my LP2.

Lastly, there is a 60 day auditioning period, if I remember correctly. The best way to properly audition both is to get both right now so you can compare them directly. Otherwise, get whichever one, see how it fits well for you and if it doesn't work for you, send it back in and try again.

I'm most likely going to get the M-80's and if I'm not satisfied with the comfort/isolation I'll return them for the LP2's.  But I see what you mean with movies/gaming.  I watch a lot of movies, probably one every other day, and I watch a decent amount of action packed TV series on Netflix.  But on the other hand, I listen to more music.  And as far as gaming goes, that would be very nice to have them.  Though how are they for chatting. I don't need them to be great, just enough ?

But again, for me comfort/isolation > better sounding.  I'll have to mess with the M-80's adjusting them to get them as comfortable as possible.

Also, how do the LP2's and M-80's benefit from an amp,  how long should I burn in the M-80's to make my decision, and are they entirely picky with what format your music is in since my music varies from 192kbps-lossless.  These are from CDs also, not youtube ripped MP3's or torrents.

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #645 of 2,828
For me, I found the biggest changes to occur in the first 5 hrs, thereafter the changes are somewhat more subtle. I've probably only put my M-80's through 40 hrs since I got it a week ago. My listening is almost exclusively through the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 (DAC/Amp) and only a few hrs through the CLAS/Pico Slim. Although these devices do reveal a little more than what the M-80's are capable of, I find the headphones perfectly fine straight out of the iPhone 4S/iPad. They seem (and Val's mentioned this before anyway) tuned for the portables already without really needing an external amp or DAC.

To put it to perspective, the M-80's (lack of) isolation has already been mentioned in this thread. So the difference of an external DAC/Amp vs straight out of the iPhone for example isn't very noticeable when walking around outside/in a mall, etc. At home in a quiet environment then the difference is more obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back