V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Dec 22, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #616 of 2,828

Quote:
The M-100 looks like they will be out of my price range, and I don't like the size of the M-80's.  So will the LP2's be an ok choice?  I like to have a good bass, but I also listen to less bass heavy music and wondering if the LP2's will still be a good choice.

I don't wanna be a stick in the mud, but that's what the LP2's sound like.  M80's on the other hand, is fantastic.  

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #617 of 2,828

Quote:
I don't wanna be a stick in the mud, but that's what the LP2's sound like.  M80's on the other hand, is fantastic.  

I see, two questions then.  If you were listening to a song that didn't have much bass, like classical, would you enjoy listening to it on the LP2's?  Second, how are the M-80's on isolation and comfort, if they are good I might actually get them over the LP2's.  Though I don't expect much isolation from them.

But for me, Isolation and comfort > a bit better sounding.  So which would you recommend between these two?

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #618 of 2,828

Quote:
I see, two questions then.  If you were listening to a song that didn't have much bass, like classical, would you enjoy listening to it on the LP2's?  Second, how are the M-80's on isolation and comfort, if they are good I might actually get them over the LP2's.  Though I don't expect much isolation from them.

But for me, Isolation and comfort > a bit better sounding.  So which would you recommend between these two?

Only music that sounds good with the LP2's is electronic.  I wouldn't attempt classical with them.  They are both very comfortable but I find the M80's better in comfort.  The LP2's do not go around the ear, it actually sits on the ear also but further back than the M80's.  Isolation wise, LP2's isolate better but M80's are not bad.  Remember you can adjust the clamping force with these because you can bend the crap out of them for more clamping force for better isolation.  If you have any sort of an audiophile preference in sound quality, M80's will suit you much better.  Take it with a grain of salt because this is just my thoughts and impressions of these two cans.  

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #619 of 2,828

I'm trying, was with Jude @ Head-Fi HQ til 5am last night trying out M-100 options!!!  czech it out!  Although I have to say, the hybrid M/LP sound we have now is SIIIIICKKK.  I was smiling ear to ear, especially when I wore it outside walking down 5th Ave in NYC with a headphone amp.  It performed better than any headphone I've ever heard in my life, it was life-changing for me...  stay tuned!  PS - the MSRP of this guy is as of now $299, we debuted the M-100 in a first test drive last week live at a DJ Gig with Erick Morillo, I made him a 24k gold one!  

-v 

Well I know what I'm getting next Christmas...but waiting till then is going to kill me. Also if the world ends before then like some conspiracy theorists say... I will be rather angry, should just send me a 24k gold one out of the goodness of your heart =P

In all seriousness I have an m80 on the way and I can't wait for the m100. UPS is being a tease though(want to put a word with a c in front of tease but not sure about the rules =P), they keep changing their minds if it comes later today or tomorrow!

Edit: I can't sleep so I'm up listening for trucks, but I keep hearing tons of trucks drive down the road haha. Each one sounds more and more like a ups truck to me, the anticipation is literally killig me =P

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #620 of 2,828
DB, you must have big ears if the LP2 sits on top of your ears. But yes, the LP2 isn't tuned for classical, and at least in my opinion, nor instrumental jazz (e.g. Dave Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan, Paul Desmond, etc.). I bought the LP2 and the M-80 for my friends (and bought another M-80 for myself) and we spent last weekend burning and listening to both of them. The LP2 improved a lot after a quick 6 hr burn-in time however still no comparison to the M-80.

Definitely if the M-100 is closer toward the M-80, then it's the circumaural version of the M-80. This may seriously come close to challenging my Ed8.

BTW, dunno about you guys, but the M-80 is becoming to be the easy "gift to friends" for me. I really don't have to spend time thinking about it - bought 2 already and seriously thinking of buying 2 more (next pending next coupon code :wink:).

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #621 of 2,828

So..uh..how do I become your friend?
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

BTW, dunno about you guys, but the M-80 is becoming to be the easy "gift to friends" for me. I really don't have to spend time thinking about it - bought 2 already and seriously thinking of buying 2 more (next pending next coupon code :wink:).

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #622 of 2,828

Quote:
DB, you must have big ears if the LP2 sits on top of your ears. But yes, the LP2 isn't tuned for classical, and at least in my opinion, nor instrumental jazz (e.g. Dave Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan, Paul Desmond, etc.). I bought the LP2 and the M-80 for my friends (and bought another M-80 for myself) and we spent last weekend burning and listening to both of them. The LP2 improved a lot after a quick 6 hr burn-in time however still no comparison to the M-80.

Definitely if the M-100 is closer toward the M-80, then it's the circumaural version of the M-80. This may seriously come close to challenging my Ed8.

I'd like to be your friend.  Nice gifts you provide.  I don't consider my ears to be big but I find it weird that it doesn't fit completely inside.  RPGWiz, also commented the same in the LP2 thread.  Possibly the design of the cups has something to do with this.  Either way, I really do love the design.  

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #624 of 2,828
I've had my M-80s for about a day now (opened them yesterday) and I can say that I never realized how muddled up the instruments were when listening to rock on my sony xb500s. Only gripes I  have are they are a little tight and not as comfy as the xb500s (though to be fair the xbs are basically pillows).
So far it seems the M-80s have plenty of bass even after having become used to the xb500s bass however the xb500s still have a bit more bass but its mostly heard in rap or drum&bass and such however the one thing I've noticed is the thump from drums on the M-80s is much better, bass drums thumb tightly, cymbals are clearer.

On a side note has anybody figured out how to put the xb500 cushions on the M-80s lol.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #625 of 2,828

Quote:
Only music that sounds good with the LP2's is electronic.  I wouldn't attempt classical with them.  They are both very comfortable but I find the M80's better in comfort.  The LP2's do not go around the ear, it actually sits on the ear also but further back than the M80's.  Isolation wise, LP2's isolate better but M80's are not bad.  Remember you can adjust the clamping force with these because you can bend the crap out of them for more clamping force for better isolation.  If you have any sort of an audiophile preference in sound quality, M80's will suit you much better.  Take it with a grain of salt because this is just my thoughts and impressions of these two cans.  

It doesn't sound like the LP2's will fit me then.  My current pair of headphones are bass heavy and I was a bit ignorant to headphones at the time, I enjoy good quality sound and extra bass kinda ruins most of my music.  I found a store near me that has M-80's and i think I'm going to go try them out, if they have better isolation that my last pair of headphones I may just get them.  Thanks for the advice.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #626 of 2,828
The M80s have maybe a slight bass emphasis that's more noticeable at higher volumes, but the presentation and separation are surprisingly sophisticated, so it doesn't get in the way of the other things.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #627 of 2,828

The M-80's are balanced with good bass emphasis. That's how everybody's always viewed them, and that's how I viewed them when I did my brief thread about it. However, I would argue that the LP2 sound good with a lot of genres, just really shine when it's bass emphasized music. I also find the LP2 a lot more comfortable and definitely have the best isolation out of the two. Unfortunately, it seems that the M-100 will be out of a lot of price ranges for people, but that might still be the ticket for most people. I'm going to stick to being happy with my LP2 though. Especially since they work PHENOMENALLY with movies/games. Skyrim + LP2 = Drool.

I need to convince Val to do a noise cancelling mic with the LP2, it'd be an amazing gaming headset.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #628 of 2,828
@sempermalum

Great, now you're convincing me to get the LP2's.  This is killing me.  I guess I'll just get the M-80's, if I don't like the comfort/isolation, then I'll return them and get the LP2's.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #629 of 2,828
Just got back from B&H Photo in NYC.  They have the Crossfade LPs available on their amped rack for listening.  Since it's close to my office I visit from time to time, and I've given these a brief listen each time I've went.  Earlier in this thread someone said burn-in helps kill that bizarre reverb-in-a-cavern effect, but that hasn't happened on the floor model.  They are visually arresting cans, so I can't help but gravitate towards them as soon as I see them, and I'm sure that's true for many people.  But I swear that cavern anomaly is killing a lot of potential sales.  I anyone from V-Moda reads this, maybe have a local/regional sales rep bring them a burned-in pair to use as floor model?  Or do you think that may artificially boost the number of returns if customers find that effect on their set when they get them home?  It just feels a shame that the true sound may not be represented to potential users.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #630 of 2,828

Quote:
@sempermalum

Great, now you're convincing me to get the LP2's.  This is killing me.  I guess I'll just get the M-80's, if I don't like the comfort/isolation, then I'll return them and get the LP2's.

Sorry if it's been asked before, what type of genre of music do you like? What use would you have for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back