V-MODA CROSSFADE M-80 AUDIO VOYAGE – Reviewers wanted!
Sep 19, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #346 of 467
I'm currently in the middle of writing a shootout with the HD25/DT1350/T50p/HDJ-2000, so the M80 will probably be making it into the list as well. They're all close to the same price bracket, and with the exception of the HDJ2000 they're all of the same form factor as well. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #347 of 467
^ show off 
eek.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #348 of 467
Sep 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #349 of 467

Quote:
^ show off 
eek.gif

I wish I could say I actually owned all of them, but it's only with the generosity of a couple friends that I'm able to make the comparisons. That said, I think my comparisons may surprise a few people. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #350 of 467

Quote:
I wish I could say I actually owned all of them, but it's only with the generosity of a couple friends that I'm able to make the comparisons. That said, I think my comparisons may surprise a few people. 

I kid man.

any chance you could add the AiAiAi TMA 1 to that shootout? it would be awesome. pretty much all decent choices between 200 and 300 USD.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #351 of 467
Well if someone would kindly send me a TMA-1, I would be happy to add it. I don't think those are even available in Canada...?

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #352 of 467

Quote:
I've regularly use the M-80 directly driven by my iPhone 3GS (waiting for the iPhone 5 to upgrade)--using the three-button remote/mic cable--and I find it to be easy to drive.  Yes, it does sound very good that way (and directly out of my iPad).

I find the M-80 to be a revealing headphone, though, so, when practical, you should try an amp with it, too.

Quote:
there is a review up,  V-MODA M-80-SHADOW Crossfade M-80  by Milosolo

Quote:

The iPhone 4 and iPad 1/2 were used as the PRIMARY tuning sources/amps during development although we used many others of course, especially pro DJ gear from Allen & Heath, Pioneer and NI.  IMO the iPhone 4/iPad has quite amazing "vivid" midrange and flat response curves as source amps and DACs, way beyond the previous gen iPod and iPhones.  The iPhone 4/iPad trumps even the Macbook Pro I had during development and that I use for music production, I always convert the song to AIFF and send it to my iPad or iPhone for critical listening.   Firmware/Software versions of OS and the player software can change sound drastically, we learned this also with our V-MODA MUSIQUE app for iOS + Android.

Big kudos to Apple, I can't wait to see what the iPhone 5 has up its sleeves... I'm trying to find the best Android & Windows phone and software combo too, but so far the sound just seems "thinner" on the Androids amps I've tried.

-v

Thanks for the reply guys! So, another question: I know it's more of personal preference, but would the brushed black custom plate or the shiny red custom plate look nicer on the M-80? Thank you!

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #353 of 467

Quote:
  Thanks for the reply guys! So, another question: I know it's more of personal preference, but would the brushed black custom plate or the shiny red custom plate look nicer on the M-80? Thank you!

Black looks sleek, but I prefer the contrast from the red plates (they stand out from the mostly black headphones).

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #354 of 467

Quote:
Well if someone would kindly send me a TMA-1, I would be happy to add it. I don't think those are even available in Canada...?

At this rate it's only a matter of time before you get the moniker Reviewus Supremus and go head to head with Joker and his review threads. Say by the way I know it's not proper to give out details to a review before it's posted but I'm curious if the DT1350 has been fairing acceptably well in your tests.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #356 of 467
  Hi, i am still quite new to this so pardon my ignorance. But Mr. Valkolton, why is it that the M-80's are $30 more expensive than the M-80's now. Shouldn't the special true blood version be more expensive than the basic M-80? Could i boldly ask if it is possible to bring down the price of the M-80's to the current V-80's price. That would convince my parents to let me buy me the M-80's. Thank you so so much!

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #357 of 467

Quote:
  Hi, i am still quite new to this so pardon my ignorance. But Mr. Valkolton, why is it that the M-80's are $30 more expensive than the M-80's now. Shouldn't the special true blood version be more expensive than the basic M-80? Could i boldly ask if it is possible to bring down the price of the M-80's to the current V-80's price. That would convince my parents to let me buy me the M-80's. Thank you so so much!

You know what. I got the V-80s.. To be honest they look almost identical to the M-80s in every way minus a few details and to my knowledge the same headphones.. I say just go for the one that is cheaper online.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #358 of 467
The M80s are 199 @ Radio Shack...so not sure what the issue is.  Both the V and M models are the same price.  Even Amazon.com has them both for 199...so um??

As for the looks...I've got plain red and the original black plates and I prefer the blacks.  They are the brushed metal variety so they don't show fingerprints as much as the red shiny ones do.  Both look good, but I prefer the original blacks on the headphones.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #359 of 467

Quote:
At this rate it's only a matter of time before you get the moniker Reviewus Supremus and go head to head with Joker and his review threads. Say by the way I know it's not proper to give out details to a review before it's posted but I'm curious if the DT1350 has been fairing acceptably well in your tests.

My general feeling of the DT1350 is that they have the technical chops but no life to them. It's like they're too technical and the music becomes sterile. An exception though would be well recorded live music, which comes out very very nicely. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #360 of 467

Quote:
My general feeling of the DT1350 is that they have the technical chops but no life to them. It's like they're too technical and the music becomes sterile. An exception though would be well recorded live music, which comes out very very nicely. 

Jazz At The Pawnshop listen to that album on them. It sounds really nice on them an its the best live recording I ever heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back