V-Moda Crossfade LP
May 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #31 of 129
I just grabbed the crossfade lp's for $100 which I thought was a good deal. They just arrived today, I'm not satisfied at all with them. They sound DECENT, for $200 IMO they should sound wayy better! Let me mention, I purchased the v-moda vibrato's as well (their IEMs). So of course I went ahead and tried the crossfade's first. The sound is DECENT as I said but not amazing IMO. and the WORST thing about them is they are not sound proof at all!!! They are only a tad bit louder with them on. Another words, anyone around you can hear just about every word to the track your listening to. Pretty sad, very very disappointed. My vibrato's I got from them are 10x better and get louder and way more sound proof and sound better IMO. all I can say is these are going back to v-moda. The only positive thing about these is the packaging which is very nice, the case is awesome, and I love the cords and I love how they are detachable, other then that, these headphones are horrible, very disappointed. :frowning2:

May 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #32 of 129

Quote:
I just grabbed the crossfade lp's for $100 which I thought was a good deal. They just arrived today, I'm not satisfied at all with them. They sound DECENT, for $200 IMO they should sound wayy better! Let me mention, I purchased the v-moda vibrato's as well (their IEMs). So of course I went ahead and tried the crossfade's first. The sound is DECENT as I said but not amazing IMO. and the WORST thing about them is they are not sound proof at all!!! They are only a tad bit louder with them on. Another words, anyone around you can hear just about every word to the track your listening to. Pretty sad, very very disappointed. My vibrato's I got from them are 10x better and get louder and way more sound proof and sound better IMO. all I can say is these are going back to v-moda. The only positive thing about these is the packaging which is very nice, the case is awesome, and I love the cords and I love how they are detachable, other then that, these headphones are horrible, very disappointed.
frown.gif

I would have to agree on the sound proof part. The vents in the back let out everything which is horrible for public listening. The only reason I have kept mine is because they are the only headphones I have that can handle some huge bass boosting from my ZO amp. I would never pay $200 for them either, I got a deal on amazon similar to yours.

May 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #33 of 129
I'm still wondering whether or not I should give these headphones a try, it sounds very much like they'd have a frequency response balance which is close to my preferred sound signature. After testing several different sounding headphones and thanks to my EQ-addiction I've spent so much time with it's become quite clear my preferred sound signature looks roughly something like this:

Sony XB500 got such a frequency response curve but it's a bit too drastic slanting curve with slightly too recessed highs (mainly lower highs and upper highs, around ~8kHz it's quite fine) and slightly overpowered upperbass range IMO that causes the bass to overhelm the mids making them sound smoother. I ofc counter this on my good quality EQ and it sounds a lot better like a headphone upgrade basicly but I still believe it has to exist some headphone out there that could satisfy me more.

Besides the frequency response balance another VERY important sonic character is the forward vs laid-back sound. I'm a person that greatly prefer a forward sound no matter music genre or situation. If a headphone that would have a perfect frequency response balance for my liking and sound laid-back I still wouldn't enjoy it and most likely end up selling it shortly. I'm not even sure if you're familiar with forward/laid-back sound thing but if I was to describe it I'd tell you to picture yourself being at a concert, the more forward sound the closer it sounds like you're sitting to the stage (and more often than not leads to smaller soundstage) but has properties associated as "more engaging/fun" (I yet haven't heard a headphone that makes me tap/headbang especially to hardstyle as easily as XB500 for me, it's unavoidable and sometimes makes me feel like I'm "techno viking" or something :p) and with laid-back it sounds like the music was listened with a slight distance to it (but often leads to bigger soundstage) and has properties like being more detailed/analytical and relaxed. For me as strange as it may sound like too much detail could sometimes be counter-effective and I just want to feel the presence of the music being close to me like I'm ON STAGE and being the center and music surrounding me. XB500 does a GREAT job as this also. I'm wondering if the same could be said about V-Moda Crossfade, they are difficult to obtain to reasonable prices around here so would have to order from UK prolly but I'm fed up with trying headphones and hope for the best and possibly feel like wanting to sell it the next day.

I know exactly what I'm looking for but the trouble is finding it!

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #35 of 129

Quote:
I'm still wondering whether or not I should give these headphones a try

Step away RPG...they really are not very good I was very disapointed with mine.. They do look nice and the build quality is top notch but the muddy bloat bass with rolled of treble is to much to ignore.   
You are the EQ master and you might be able to salvage them but there are plenty of other cans out there.

will be putting my ultrasone HFI-780 up the for sale forums soon (cheap) and is a much better alternative to the crossfades

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #36 of 129
I'd never use them out in public because of the terrible leakage. But when I'm really feeling it I pair them with my ZO and the bass that can be produced is amazing. If you can get them around $100-120 I would at least try them (you can just return them if you don't like them...). I would never pay close to full price though.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #37 of 129
Maybe I got a defective pair, but while the bass is quite strong, it's very loose and muddy and overpowering.  The mids & highs are very repressed and sound quite muddy, as well.  If what I've heard is what its capable of, then it's way overpriced.  A+ for the aesthetics, though.  But in my opinion, this set of cans is for looking-at, and not listening-to.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #38 of 129

Quote:
Maybe I got a defective pair, but while the bass is quite strong, it's very loose and muddy and overpowering.  The mids & highs are very repressed and sound quite muddy, as well.  If what I've heard is what its capable of, then it's way overpriced.  A+ for the aesthetics, though.  But in my opinion, this set of cans is for looking-at, and not listening-to.

They do look quite nice, but I wouldn't even recommend listening to them in public, so what's the point?? Take yours off for a bit and put a towel or something between them. The sound leakage is utterly terrible. Wear them on a bus and everyone will know what you're listening to. You might've gotten a defective pair, or you're just more picky with me about SQ. I got them for around $120 so I wasn't expecting that much. The bass I get when paired with my ZO is pretty crazy, rumbles my ears a bit actually.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #39 of 129

Quote:

They do look quite nice, but I wouldn't even recommend listening to them in public, so what's the point?? Take yours off for a bit and put a towel or something between them. The sound leakage is utterly terrible. Wear them on a bus and everyone will know what you're listening to. You might've gotten a defective pair, or you're just more picky with me about SQ. I got them for around $120 so I wasn't expecting that much. The bass I get when paired with my ZO is pretty crazy, rumbles my ears a bit actually.

lol yeah, I live in Canada and we get shafted on everything - those Crossfades cost around $220 after taxes up here everywhere you go, so I was expecting QUITE A BIT.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #40 of 129

Quote:
lol yeah, I live in Canada and we get shafted on everything - those Crossfades cost around $220 after taxes up here everywhere you go, so I was expecting QUITE A BIT.

That's rough... and you guys just had that postal strike too (real pain in the butt, I had a new phone coming from Canada that barely got out in time). Is Audio Technica that overpriced in Canada? You might want to look at the Pro700 MK2 if you can get them for a decent price.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #41 of 129

Quote:
That's rough... and you guys just had that postal strike too (real pain in the butt, I had a new phone coming from Canada that barely got out in time). Is Audio Technica that overpriced in Canada? You might want to look at the Pro700 MK2 if you can get them for a decent price.

Well I managed to find the M50 for $139 + tax, which is already a lot cheaper than most places that want $199 + tax.  The Crossfade is $199 no matter where you go.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #42 of 129
So This thread caught my eye because i'm looking to find out more about the new Crossfade LP 2 which they pride themselves on being near unbreakable. I was told I should pick them up by Tyle *or however you spell it* at InnerFidelity. He told me that they're great, but like I cannot find any info on them... help me out?

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #43 of 129
Quote:
So This thread caught my eye because i'm looking to find out more about the new Crossfade LP 2 which they pride themselves on being near unbreakable. I was told I should pick them up by Tyle *or however you spell it* at InnerFidelity. He told me that they're great, but like I cannot find any info on them... help me out?

Same here. I am lookin @ th LP2's.
aorn, the LP's (GMB) can be had for $140 on Amazon. I missed the $80 newegg deal and If I was looking then I would have jumped on it.

On V-Moda's twitter ch there is a coupon for the LP2's that gets you them for $170-ish... Considering they have the extra shields and are supposed to be "better" It's all relative to the worth of the user.
For me, durability and clarity/staging are most important.

ftr, I asked the twitter feed for a 20-30% off coupon and was shot down... too bad, I wanted to do a full unboxing/review video.
o2smile.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #45 of 129
I picked up a pair @costco yesterday. I will say this, for dj'ing they are decent. Loud response and can handle tons of bass ...for studio monitors I wouldn't even think of using these.

The tonal seperation is not good and the lack of highs is brutal.

After eqing you can defeat most of those issues but without eqing you'd probably hate them.

it seems they really push around the 250hz mark. I do live the build and efficiency so I will be keeping these for my weekly gigs...

More in depth review soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back