V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Sep 4, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #1,516 of 1,668
1) Yeah that's true when I owned my Sony I did all my reviewing by just putting them on the table and admiring them from a minimum of six feet away good point.

2) Hey exaggerate much?

3) If people hate ANC they don't have to use the ANC, but the Sony ANC also has no pressure and I've compared them to several other models that do (Sennheiser, B&O).

The only legitimate point you brought up was people disliking ANC but AFAIK there are very few pairs that don't have any ANC at all, VModa and Audio Technica offering the only ones I'm aware of.

Sep 4, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,517 of 1,668
1) Yeah that's true when I owned my Sony I did all my reviewing by just putting them on the table and admiring them from a minimum of six feet away good point.

2) Hey exaggerate much?

3) If people hate ANC they don't have to use the ANC, but the Sony ANC also has no pressure and I've compared them to several other models that do (Sennheiser, B&O).

The only legitimate point you brought up was people disliking ANC but AFAIK there are very few pairs that don't have any ANC at all, VModa and Audio Technica offering the only ones I'm aware of.

Sony's cracking headband is not only a wide-known issue (easily googleable, discussed here and on Reddit), it's has a meme status now, so neglecting it won't help. It's the only thing that is terribly wrong with 1000X—if we're speaking ANC headphones specifically—of which there are not many.

Regarding the sound, not really. There are Tyll's measurements if you're interested. If I had to use 1000X only, I'd bring a pair of really cheap in-ears with me to trips just in case. The problem is not unique to Sony, of course, there are many wireless headphones plagued by this, some much worse. However, we're in V-MODAs thread, and one thing unique about them is that they are really, really good with a wire, in fact, probably the best hybrids on the market. You're on a laptop or have a amp/dac, plug it in. You're on the go, remove the wire.

Regarding the ANC, YMMV, I've tested both Bose and Sonys, both give me ear pressure. It is of course the weakest point of my three, since you can disable ANC and still get wireless sound not only comparable to competiton, but one of the best on the market.

With ANC specifically, there are only two good ANC headphones on the market, 1000X (and revisions) and QC35 (and revisions). All other brands ANC technologies are really sub-par compared to both Sony and Bose. Including Sennheiser, B&W (PX is a flop), JBL and others.

That said, V-MODA could've included a cheap ANC module just to "tick the box", but I'm happy they did not, since that would be BS. Unfortunately, they went for another kind of BS with codec issues, however, the latest revision of C2W is finally the headphone I've hoped for and I wish they could've done it properly from the start.

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,518 of 1,668
[OT]
Luckily I didn't have the cracking headband issue with my 1000x (I've since given it to my nephew so I still can check), but I thought the XM2 was to fix the headband problem?
[/OT]

Ergonomically, maybe I'm V-Moda biased but it just works. I like the fact the headband hugs close the the cranium esp with the yoke and the driver cups. It's just low profile. I prefer it over the Sony. In fact in this respect, I prefer the V-Moda over most other headphones.

Having an ANC would be nice, but so far I'm fine without it. I do agree that the latest Codex edition should have been it from the start. Another gripe I do have is the buttons do feel a little cheap, however the rest of the construction (headband, yoke, cups themselves, etc.) are pretty solid.

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #1,520 of 1,668
I should be receiving the Codex version as soon as Amazon replenishes Matte Black stock. I will be able to compare to the CF2W Rose Gold version.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,521 of 1,668
I've read that the new sony wh1000mx3 sounds more analouge,due to its analouge amplifier.It also have Ldac.The fews reviewes that has been puplished,says that it sound fantastic,but has strong bass :)

There's no such thing as an "analog amplifier." All amplifiers are analog. That's literally how they work.

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,522 of 1,668
I'd like the CF2W much more if the driver housing and, by extension, the pads were larger and deeper. As they are, 2/3 of my ears fit in the pads and the rest is compressed, and it gets REALLY uncomfortable in a hurry.

One thing I have noticed over time is that the imaging in these is really lacking. Lack of soundstage is one thing, but listening long term to my DSR9BT and DT1990 really highlights the shortcomings of the CF2W in the imaging department. The difference is generally very subtle, but it's really noticable with binaural recordings and electronic music. I suppose it's not terribly important on the go since surrounding noise generally drowns out those kinds of details, but when I'm sitting in dead silence comparing them, the subtle flittering of certain sounds in songs is present in other HPs and not present in the CF2W.

I still use my CF2W on and off, but I use them as fashion cans more often than not since they are easier to carry around when not in use. Now that I have heard the fidelity differences between these and my other HPs, I'm having a hard time appreciating these.

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,523 of 1,668
I'd like the CF2W much more if the driver housing and, by extension, the pads were larger and deeper. As they are, 2/3 of my ears fit in the pads and the rest is compressed, and it gets REALLY uncomfortable in a hurry.
Meaning you need the V-Moda XL Cushions?

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #1,524 of 1,668

I got them as I found the originals too cramped for my ears. The XL cushions are not memory foam though, they slowly compress over time and are not great value. My ears now press against the speaker grill after a couple of months.

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,526 of 1,668
Y'all must have some satellite dish ears because I know mine are pretty big and I got no issues.

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,527 of 1,668
I just noticed the Immortal Life Upgrade thing on V-Moda website.
I have the original Crossfade Wireless. I can get a $200 discount if I get Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex for upgrading.. $350-$200 = $150.

I usually use my CW1 in wired mode like 90 - 95% of times. I prefer the bass, got them primarily as basshead headphones. Should I really go for the upgrade?

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,528 of 1,668
I just noticed the Immortal Life Upgrade thing on V-Moda website.
I have the original Crossfade Wireless. I can get a $200 discount if I get Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex for upgrading.. $350-$200 = $150.

I usually use my CW1 in wired mode like 90 - 95% of times. I prefer the bass, got them primarily as basshead headphones. Should I really go for the upgrade?

I say try them first. If you mostly use them wired and you like the bass on the cfw1, keep them. The cfw2 have a bit less bass. The main reason for my upgrade was my cfw1 were flaking apart and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with codecs. I'm used to the sound signature now, but I still slightly prefer the cfw1. If you're in the mood for a new color or you were replacing yours anyway, it's worth a shot to at least try them, you get 60 days.

Sep 9, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,529 of 1,668
I say try them first. If you mostly use them wired and you like the bass on the cfw1, keep them. The cfw2 have a bit less bass. The main reason for my upgrade was my cfw1 were flaking apart and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with codecs. I'm used to the sound signature now, but I still slightly prefer the cfw1. If you're in the mood for a new color or you were replacing yours anyway, it's worth a shot to at least try them, you get 60 days.
Hmm.. good idea! I'll go try them out at local headphone shop one of these days.
Yeah, mine are still in great condition though, they're built like a tank.
I was eyeing the new sony bluetooth WH-1000MX3(I think) at bestbuy, but didn't feel so confident about their durability.. wouldn't wanna bend and twist its headband like V-modas hehe

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,530 of 1,668
Hmm.. good idea! I'll go try them out at local headphone shop one of these days.
Yeah, mine are still in great condition though, they're built like a tank.
I was eyeing the new sony bluetooth WH-1000MX3(I think) at bestbuy, but didn't feel so confident about their durability.. wouldn't wanna bend and twist its headband like V-modas hehe

If you like the CFW sound the MX3 is going to be a serious disappointment. They're not gonna give that hefty bass or meaty dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back