V-dac modifications
Nov 22, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #92 of 259
This has less to do with modding than finding a spare part, but can any of you point me to a PSU (doesn't have to be "dedicated", but of good quality) that manages the North American 110v --> 12v DC conversion? This is to replace a 220v --> 12v DC PSU from the UK that I assume will not work stateside. I hope it doesn't involve tinkering too much with the V-DAC itself.

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #94 of 259
I heard that Teddy is also making ps for vdac, it is not listed in his products,just ask him:

Teddy Pardo home of TeddyCap TeddyXPS power supply for Naim Audio replaces HiCap and XPS

I have built my around the superteddyreg and it is phenomenal
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #95 of 259
Thanks! A bit pricey for me though... Any solutions below $50-$100 for this already inexpensive DAC?

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #96 of 259
I am using meanwell medical power supply which is universal voltage 110-240. Look at 1st post for the photos but not sure if this model is available any more. 12vdc adaptor should be readily available if you search on the net.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #98 of 259
For caps 1-4, I use Simlic II. Nichicon Muse KZ and Panasonic FC are suitable. The values are the same as the original except voltage ratings are higher whenever possible. Values are stated at previous posts.

For 5-6, I use flim caps, 4.7uF Gad Viva Audio caps. Search back for previous posts on the photos.

You may also want to try changing out the 2 brown caps near the relays to films types.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #99 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by spore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread was created to share MF V-dac modifications, be it upgrading the supplied default stock power supply or changing of capacitors and op amp.

The V-dac by itself is pretty good out of the box. However, with a little bit of modifications, the v-dac can be greatly improved.

I wont go into details of how good the v-dac sounds after modification as what sounds good to me may not be the same for others. But one thing for sure, there is great potential in v-dac which can be unleashed.

The cost of the modifications excluding the power supply is only about 10-15% of the cost of v-dac. Components cost such as capacitors and op amp are not that expensive.

I have stopped further modifications as I am pleased with the improvements. My modification list as below is just a guide which I have tried out and I welcome everyone interested to contribute. I wont be posting much here as I will be spending more of my time listening now on
smily_headphones1.gif

Power supply:
1. Changed default supplied stock wall wart power supply to Meanwell medical power adapter P/N: MES30A-3P1J. Fitted an 2.1mm adaptor bought separately to connect to V-dac.

V-Dac:
1. C3 and C4 replaced with same kind of capacitor
2. C25 replaced
3. C45, C22, C61, C41 replaced with same kind of capacitor
4.C58, C50, C27,C29,C36,C32,C38, C30, C18 and C37 replaced with same kind of capacitor
5. C43, C46 replaced with same kind of capacitor
6. C5, C34, C44, C21, C53 and C39 replaced with same kind of capacitor
7. C14 replaced with 47uF capacitor
8. Dual NE5532 opamp changed to LME49860 at location IC7
9. Quad MC33079 opamp changed to LME49740 at location IC5

For C14, I have tried various values at 1uf, 10uF, 47uf and 100uf. 47uf and 1uf sounds better than 10uf and 100uF. Next I tried various sizes of 1uF and 47uf and finally stick with 47uf (blue) which sounds best to me.

I am a newbie in this forum, so i would like to make a new member and contribute my ideas and improve my knowledge from the others.I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.Gee! this thread will attract many people to give more info.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #100 of 259
Quote:

For caps 1-4, I use Simlic II. Nichicon Muse KZ and Panasonic FC are suitable. The values are the same as the original except voltage ratings are higher whenever possible. Values are stated at previous posts.

For 5-6, I use flim caps, 4.7uF Gad Viva Audio caps. Search back for previous posts on the photos.

You may also want to try changing out the 2 brown caps near the relays to films types.

Thanks spore, I appreciate the info.

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #101 of 259
Just an update......

I got the IC's today and put them in the V-DAC.

I haven't got the caps yet but will replace them when the new caps arrive.

With the new IC's all I can say is the sound is VERY NICE! Well worth the little work it takes to do.

Now I can't wait to get the caps and see what improvements are made.

Thanks everyone for the help getting this thing running at peak performance!

John

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #103 of 259
Quote:

John, thats good news. So what ic have you changed too?

I took your advice and used the following:
IC5:LME49740NA [Original MC33079]
IC7: LME49860NA [Original NE5532]
Got both IC's off ebay....good prices.
LME49740NA this is for two IC's
LME49860NA

Instead of soldering the IC's directly into the board I put DIP sockets in. This way if I want to make any changes later on it will be a whole lot easier!

Thanks spore for you help.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #104 of 259
Hi everybody,
I want to do some modifications in my V-DAC and count on your advice.
I am not an expert, but as i know Sanyo Os-con capacitor is the best for DAC chip power supply chain. And i want use it in this way. But i've seen photos where different capacitors replaced with Sanyo Os-con. Somebody replaced C27 with Os-con, somebody replaced C22. Could you recomend what capacitor or capacitors should be replaced with Sanyo Os-con.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back