USB-powered amp/DA @ around $150?
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Morten

Head-Fier
I've come to realise the headphone output of my MacBook isn't very good. So I'm looking for a conveniently sized headphone amp/DA converter to plug into the USB port. It'll drive my Panasonic HJE900 as well as Sennheiser HD650.

What are the options, what do you recommend?

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 8
I only have the udac2 and just got a HDP.  My office mate has a E9 (not E7 just E9).  I am not a "audiophile" - I just like to listen to music.  My opinion may not be valid.  But for the budget, get the E9 for sure.  I drive HD580 through udac2, it is just a hair thin compared to the E9.  E9 even on low gain just has more meat to it for HD580.  HDP650 may be harder to drive still.  HDP solved that problem but that is way over your budget also, HDP for the high cost does not have a gain switch... and honestly, right now, I am not sure I am going to keep it compare to the udac2.  The udac2 has that finger snapping quality on music that HDP does not.  some would call that 'color' but finger snap is finger snap.  On the HD580, HDP drives it better for sure as does the E9.  udac2 runs through E9... not a bad combo but more $$ than your budget as well as E7/E9 combo again.

either you live with just E9 (no dac)
or
bump up budget for E7/E9
or
udac2 but live with slightly thin on the senny
or
bump up budget for udac2/E9

Do not get HDP.  way over budget.  But you may have much better ears and sources than I do that it may be worth it to you.

EDIT:

oops, forgot you want usb powered only.  Forget E9 and HDP.  Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back