USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Oct 30, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #5,506 of 6,440
Any news on the price? But now let's not do like last time... tell me already in dollars... lol

No idea :shrug:

Dollars? Sure :wink:

Dollar is the name of more than 25 currencies. The United States dollar, named after the international currency known as the Spanish dollar, was established in 1792 and is the first so named that still survives. Others include the Australian dollar, Brunei dollar, Canadian dollar, Eastern Caribbean dollar, Hong Kong dollar, Jamaican dollar, Liberian dollar, Namibian dollar, New Taiwan dollar, New Zealand dollar, Singapore dollar, Trinidad and Tobago Dollar and several others.

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #5,507 of 6,440
No idea :shrug:

Dollars? Sure :wink:

Dollar is the name of more than 25 currencies. The United States dollar, named after the international currency known as the Spanish dollar, was established in 1792 and is the first so named that still survives. Others include the Australian dollar, Brunei dollar, Canadian dollar, Eastern Caribbean dollar, Hong Kong dollar, Jamaican dollar, Liberian dollar, Namibian dollar, New Taiwan dollar, New Zealand dollar, Singapore dollar, Trinidad and Tobago Dollar and several others.
I tried to ask iBasso... tight-lipped until the exit... they want to surprise us... let's hope it's a... nice surprise :L3000:

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #5,508 of 6,440
It's strange, the description and graphic say : "two separate XR2001 opamp, each individualy powered with individualy 3.5 and 4.4mm" so my understanding is : one opamp per jack output, but the 4.4mm balanced has really twice more power according to their data.

Also "Volume Memory" is the new expression for independant-hardware-volume i guess ?

And finally one manufacturer with good button functions, ergonomics.

I'm worried about the jacks design though, too deep ?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #5,509 of 6,440
Oct 31, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #5,510 of 6,440
Any word on power consumption of that Colorfly dongle?

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #5,511 of 6,440
It's strange, the description and graphic say : "two separate XR2001 opamp, each individualy powered with individualy 3.5 and 4.4mm" so my understanding is : one opamp per jack output, but the 4.4mm balanced has really twice more power according to their data.

Also "Volume Memory" is the new expression for independant-hardware-volume i guess ?

And finally one manufacturer with good button functions, ergonomics.

I'm worried about the jacks design though, too deep ?
About opamps no idea, but volume memory I suppose is a volume setting that is kept between uses. Some dongles have independent volume control but once you disconnect and connect again, it loses the last volume and starts from a factory-defined setting.

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #5,512 of 6,440
I would encourage everyone who listens desktop or full system to try Polky74's setup or mod: the power brick, that certain (or certain type) of USB hub for your listening. It starts around page 357 I think. Also, turn your phone to airplane mode then select wifi or whatever you use to stream so that the source is as quiet as possible - can't hurt. I am not going to go on and on, but it sounds really good. I have run my RU6, B1, DC04 Pro this way for a few hours each. Passed the Etta James, Iron Maiden and Bach tests with flying colors.

It makes sense. A stable power source, if that is the only thing that is happening, but I bet there is more, is huuuge. When you read the difference between a company's entry level streamer or DAC or Player all the way to their flagship the differences are often in firming up the current through the device by PSU upgrades, caps,etc... with the intention of clean (signal cleanliness) all the way through. I heard an improvement (quieter background, more detail and when balls out listening to Run To the Hills I was surprised by how used to the drums and bass losing some distinction I had become - it was "normal" - not anymore, now the bass lines are more distinct.) Also, listened to some really good Hawaiian slack guitar, OMG. More details of the box, not just the strings. I would say like 25-30% improvement. No BS.. I am hearing really great sound in a solid home stereo using dongles this way. I'm stoked. Try it or don't, but I think you should if you can swing it (and it is a cheap proposition). Kudos Polky74

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #5,513 of 6,440
I would encourage everyone who listens desktop or full system to try Polky74's setup or mod: the power brick, that certain (or certain type) of USB hub for your listening. It starts around page 357 I think. Also, turn your phone to airplane mode then select wifi or whatever you use to stream so that the source is as quiet as possible - can't hurt. I am not going to go on and on, but it sounds really good. I have run my RU6, B1, DC04 Pro this way for a few hours each. Passed the Etta James, Iron Maiden and Bach tests with flying colors.

It makes sense. A stable power source, if that is the only thing that is happening, but I bet there is more, is huuuge. When you read the difference between a company's entry level streamer or DAC or Player all the way to their flagship the differences are often in firming up the current through the device by PSU upgrades, caps,etc... with the intention of clean (signal cleanliness) all the way through. I heard an improvement (quieter background, more detail and when balls out listening to Run To the Hills I was surprised by how used to the drums and bass losing some distinction I had become - it was "normal" - not anymore, now the bass lines are more distinct.) Also, listened to some really good Hawaiian slack guitar, OMG. More details of the box, not just the strings. I would say like 25-30% improvement. No BS.. I am hearing really great sound in a solid home stereo using dongles this way. I'm stoked. Try it or don't, but I think you should if you can swing it (and it is a cheap proposition). Kudos Polky74
I thank you for two reasons, the first is the words of praise you spent on me and the second is because you were one of the few to believe that with a minimal expense you could achieve what is evident to both me and you.. that is, a clear improvement in the performance of the dongle as well as the convenience of no longer having to worry about the "usual dead phone". Thank you for sharing your experience... I was sure that you would like it and that you would do what I also did... share something for the benefit of everyone without having any personal gain. This is the highest purpose that a forum like this can achieve. Ensuring that users who have the same passion share it and share the small and large discoveries that can be made through that passion. Thanks again.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #5,514 of 6,440
You are welcome and thanks again for sharing your advice. I am benefiting from it.
I couldn't agree more about the use of a forum.
I think next we need to figure out, to the best of our abilities, Electrical / Circuit design Engineers... reading this... what is or could be going on. Where the benefit(s) is coming from and seeing if there can be even further improvements. I recall some guy coming back with the usual, "confirmation bias" There is no electrical reason... stuff... well, great, no need for him to waste his time and money. This worked. My cell phone airplane mode mini-hack worked by itself but this took it further. Why ? I want to know what is going on and if there is more that we can do to this or like this... on the cheap. I am not going to buy a Holo Audio or Ares DAC, it is too fun to have so many dongles with different character. So any way to maximize these is right up my alley. I disagree that this form factor is inherently limited. The tiny circuit boards, small and really fast firing capacitors, great technology available for the analogue sections and the fact that they have to run off of some battery ( pretty close to ideal power supply) makes them advantageous, even. I think all of my dongles run this way sound better than my stand alone home DAC which is supposedly an awesome DAC from yesteryear. But, it runs off of dirty wall power, all of the components and the board make a pretty long signal path. The caps are huge. Perhaps there is some advantage to the size of the total circuit path in a dongle ? I don't know...

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #5,515 of 6,440
You are welcome and thanks again for sharing your advice. I am benefiting from it.
I couldn't agree more about the use of a forum.
I think next we need to figure out, to the best of our abilities, Electrical / Circuit design Engineers... reading this... what is or could be going on. Where the benefit(s) is coming from and seeing if there can be even further improvements. I recall some guy coming back with the usual, "confirmation bias" There is no electrical reason... stuff... well, great, no need for him to waste his time and money. This worked. My cell phone airplane mode mini-hack worked by itself but this took it further. Why ? I want to know what is going on and if there is more that we can do to this or like this... on the cheap. I am not going to buy a Holo Audio or Ares DAC, it is too fun to have so many dongles with different character. So any way to maximize these is right up my alley. I disagree that this form factor is inherently limited. The tiny circuit boards, small and really fast firing capacitors, great technology available for the analogue sections and the fact that they have to run off of some battery ( pretty close to ideal power supply) makes them advantageous, even. I think all of my dongles run this way sound better than my stand alone home DAC which is supposedly an awesome DAC from yesteryear. But, it runs off of dirty wall power, all of the components and the board make a pretty long signal path. The caps are huge. Perhaps there is some advantage to the size of the total circuit path in a dongle ? I don't know...
Luxury & Precision W1, iBasso DC04PRO, Cayin RU6, Questyle M15, Luxury & Precision W4, Cayin RU7, ifi GO bar, Shanling UA3, (iBasso DC-Elite in November) contain the following chips: Cirrus Logic, ESS, R2R, 1bit , AKM, RHOM. How much would I have to spend to purchase the relevant DAP/DAC that contain so many types, qualities and implementations present in these dongles? How much is the real difference with their older brothers? How convenient is it to be able to connect them to the same amplifier simply by taking them from the desk drawer? How convenient it is to be able to connect them to a mobile phone and listen to them directly connected to a high quality IEM. These considerations and others are pushing the market towards an already marked path... There are those who don't want to admit it... there are those who cannot admit it... there are those who will never admit it... but now the road is clear and marked... and nothing will be able to stop the dongles and the desire of more and more new customers to buy them. There's no going back... you can only move forward... and they understood this very well.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #5,517 of 6,440
Anyone here have experience with the Tanchjim Space? I seen the go to rec below 100 USD. Is it a notable upgrade over the regular headphone jack? Thank you!!!

Oh, I like mine a lot. I'm using it with my laptop, most of the time paired with my Focal Elegia. This dongle is plenty powerful and has a nice clean neutral-sounding output.

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #5,520 of 6,440
What would be a dead neutral source at the same price bracket?
...a little further up there is the excellent iBasso DC04PRO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back