USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Sep 4, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #5,251 of 6,425
The collection of tiny things grows, couldn't resist and got myself a ddHifi TC44Pro :relaxed:

20230904-113621.jpg

20230904-113837.jpg

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #5,252 of 6,425
Now, the most difficult part: to find a use case for each :D

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #5,255 of 6,425
Hi all, I'm new to this hobby and recently bought my first hi-fi headphones, the Sennheiser HD 400 pro(560S repaint) but the sound of these headphones is very low on my PC. Especially when I play a competitive game like csgo, I can barely hear the footsteps. Would the apple dongle be enough to make these headphones louder? The choices I have are:

Venture Electronics Abigail/Abigail Pro

Venture Electronics Avani

Creative Sound Blaster Play 4

Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle

Here are my headphone's specs:
  • Impedance
    120 Ω
  • Frequency response
    6 Hz to 38 kHz (-10 dB)
  • Sound pressure level (SPL)
    110 dB (1 kHz / 1 V RMS)
  • THD, total harmonic distortion
    < 0.05 % (1 kHz / 90 dB SPL)

Sep 6, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #5,256 of 6,425
Hi all, I'm new to this hobby and recently bought my first hi-fi headphones, the Sennheiser HD 400 pro(560S repaint) but the sound of these headphones is very low on my PC. Especially when I play a competitive game like csgo, I can barely hear the footsteps. Would the apple dongle be enough to make these headphones louder? The choices I have are:

• Impedance
    120 Ω
  • Frequency response
    6 Hz to 38 kHz (-10 dB)
    110 dB (1 kHz / 1 V RMS)

Abigail Pro

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #5,257 of 6,425

• Impedance
    120 Ω
  • Frequency response
    6 Hz to 38 kHz (-10 dB)
    110 dB (1 kHz / 1 V RMS)
Welcome to the hobby!

The two numbers you are interested in impedance and the SPL (often called sensitivity in the headphone world). You can do some maths to work out what the amp needs to produce for a given volume but it's easier just to pop them in a calculator. I've done one for you at 110db which is higher than you'd ever listen to allow for the sensitivity being different at different frequencies and a bit of headroom. https://www.omnicalculator.com/everyday-life/headphone-power?c=GBP&v=R:120!ohm,dB1V:110,loudness:110

Based on those numbers it's at the edge of what an Apple Dongle (non-eu) can drive. If you have one on hand it's worth a go but if you're buying I'd probably go with something with a slightly higher output to be safe. As Artpiggo says I think the Abigail has a fair bit more omph so should be fine.

Sep 7, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #5,258 of 6,425
Welcome to the hobby!

The two numbers you are interested in impedance and the SPL (often called sensitivity in the headphone world). You can do some maths to work out what the amp needs to produce for a given volume but it's easier just to pop them in a calculator. I've done one for you at 110db which is higher than you'd ever listen to allow for the sensitivity being different at different frequencies and a bit of headroom. https://www.omnicalculator.com/everyday-life/headphone-power?c=GBP&v=R:120!ohm,dB1V:110,loudness:110

Based on those numbers it's at the edge of what an Apple Dongle (non-eu) can drive. If you have one on hand it's worth a go but if you're buying I'd probably go with something with a slightly higher output to be safe. As Artpiggo says I think the Abigail has a fair bit more omph so should be fine.
Thank you for the suggestions and unfortunately I only have access to the EU version of Apple Dongle.

It seems Abigail pro is out of stock everywhere in my country. Would you recommend Creative sound blaster play 4? Here are its specs:

If not, any other recommendations under $30?
1694085232066.png

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #5,260 of 6,425
Thank you for the suggestions and unfortunately I only have access to the EU version of Apple Dongle.

It seems Abigail pro is out of stock everywhere in my country. Would you recommend Creative sound blaster play 4? Here are its specs:

If not, any other recommendations under $30?
Ah fair enough. Unfortunately despite the huge amount of numbers on there they don't really tell you want you need to know about the Creative and I can't find it listed anywhere from a quick google unfortunately but maybe someone else can help.

If you're in Europe it's worth looking at HiFiGo. They've got quite a few cheap dongles that should be fine and will deliver it, tax and duty paid to pretty much anywhere in the EU for $5 if memory serves. Something with a CS43131 (which powers a lot of the dongles that are thought good on here) should be fine and there are options you could get delivered for less than $30 like the Jcally JM20. There's also the JM30 and the AP7 from the same people which seem to be more or less the same thing just in a different form factor.

Slightly above your budget but probably easier to get closer to home are things like 7hz 71, Tanchjim Space Lite and the Moondrop Dawn Pro. All should do a good job.

Speaking of which has anyone got an info on the Jcally SP30? I've been looking for a usb cable to allow me to charge and listen to a dongle but this looks like I could get that in a neater solution for not much more money.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #5,261 of 6,425
Ah fair enough. Unfortunately despite the huge amount of numbers on there they don't really tell you want you need to know about the Creative and I can't find it listed anywhere from a quick google unfortunately but maybe someone else can help.

If you're in Europe it's worth looking at HiFiGo. They've got quite a few cheap dongles that should be fine and will deliver it, tax and duty paid to pretty much anywhere in the EU for $5 if memory serves. Something with a CS43131 (which powers a lot of the dongles that are thought good on here) should be fine and there are options you could get delivered for less than $30 like the Jcally JM20. There's also the JM30 and the AP7 from the same people which seem to be more or less the same thing just in a different form factor.

Slightly above your budget but probably easier to get closer to home are things like 7hz 71, Tanchjim Space Lite and the Moondrop Dawn Pro. All should do a good job.

Speaking of which has anyone got an info on the Jcally SP30? I've been looking for a usb cable to allow me to charge and listen to a dongle but this looks like I could get that in a neater solution for not much more money.
Hi, what do you think about this one https://conceptkart.com/collections/jcally/products/jcally-jm25-portable-dac-dongle

Sep 7, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #5,262 of 6,425
I wonder how USB-C dongles will work with the iPhone 15’s with their new type c port.

Sep 7, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #5,263 of 6,425
Sep 8, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #5,264 of 6,425
I wonder how USB-C dongles will work with the iPhone 15’s with their new type c port.

Probably no different than with iPads equipped with USB-C ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back