USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #5,221 of 6,433
Aug 20, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #5,223 of 6,433
The question referred to USB-C replacing the Lightning port in future iPhones, not Bluetooth.

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #5,225 of 6,433
Hello, I'm looking for a few recommendations for a USB DAC with 2.5mm+3.5mm output termination? I can only find Fiio BTR5 2021 as a decent option but it's a bit bulky to be used as a USB DAC. Any leads would be helpful. TIA.
Shanling had a unit last year called the UA2 that fits your needs.

https://headfonics.com/shanling-ua2-review/

I focus primarily on my FIIO Q3 which has all three terminations but is about 2/3 the size of a iphone. Whereas the Shanling UA2 is fairly small.

I will most likely be putting the Shanling UA2 up for sale; but lately I keep all my trades/sales to the US due to exorbitant prices and unreliable international shipping incidents.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #5,226 of 6,433
Apple just has a bad habit of blocking out non Apple devices. I don't expect that in this case, just was checking.

My iPad Pro works with anything I connect to its' USB-C socket.

I do not expect iPhone 15 to behave differently.

Aug 21, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #5,227 of 6,433
Aug 22, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #5,229 of 6,433
Greetings to all!
I need your advice. I listen to music from iPhone, Apple Music only. The headphones have a resistance of 32 and 16 ohms and a sensitivity of 114 and 113, respectively. Now I use a 3.5 mm adapter for lightning from Ugreen. And everything suits me, I like Ugreen even more than Dackport xd, as it is not strange)
But you always want something better and more. Therefore, I decided to study the issue with dongles, read various reviews here and there, the last 100 pages of this topic and got completely confused.
The question is, will there be an increase in the overall sound quality when switching to a dongle?
My headphones do not require any special amplification, etc. Now the adapter from Ugreen is doing a great job. I do not need any colors - the most honest, transparent sound, such as the author intended.
I would really appreciate your comments.

Aug 22, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #5,230 of 6,433
Just grabbed one under 40€ with coupons cumulations, that was too tempting! Hopefully it will delivers well with a low battery consumption. I like the Space-like design but with all rounded edges here. About the holes, let's hope it's not too much of a dust grabber, they seems fairly small enough. Would be more concerned with any water spill :sweat:. Do you think it will function with an app? Not sure if it was the case or not with the Dawn.

Aug 22, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #5,231 of 6,433
Just grabbed one under 40€ with coupons cumulations, that was too tempting! Hopefully it will delivers well with a low battery consumption. I like the Space-like design but with all rounded edges here. About the holes, let's hope it's not too much of a dust grabber, they seems fairly small enough. Would be more concerned with any water spill :sweat:. Do you think it will function with an app? Not sure if it was the case or not with the Dawn.
HifiGo, Shenzen Audio and Linsoul also all seem to have it in their sales for a smidge over $40. Very tempted as my aging Dragonfly seems to both suck up battery life and the volume steps in android are a bit coarse to find the right level on IEMs. Do we know what units that seem more or less the same like the Tanchjim Space and Shio were like with battery life and app compatibility? I use Roon Arc and the usb driver seems to be fussy.

Aug 22, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #5,232 of 6,433
HifiGo, Shenzen Audio and Linsoul also all seem to have it in their sales for a smidge over $40. Very tempted as my aging Dragonfly seems to both suck up battery life and the volume steps in android are a bit coarse to find the right level on IEMs. Do we know what units that seem more or less the same like the Tanchjim Space and Shio were like with battery life and app compatibility? I use Roon Arc and the usb driver seems to be fussy.
With 100 steps of independant volume adjustement there's plenty to find the right level here

Aug 22, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #5,233 of 6,433
Greetings to all!
I need your advice. I listen to music from iPhone, Apple Music only. The headphones have a resistance of 32 and 16 ohms and a sensitivity of 114 and 113, respectively. Now I use a 3.5 mm adapter for lightning from Ugreen. And everything suits me, I like Ugreen even more than Dackport xd, as it is not strange)
But you always want something better and more. Therefore, I decided to study the issue with dongles, read various reviews here and there, the last 100 pages of this topic and got completely confused.
The question is, will there be an increase in the overall sound quality when switching to a dongle?
My headphones do not require any special amplification, etc. Now the adapter from Ugreen is doing a great job. I do not need any colors - the most honest, transparent sound, such as the author intended.
I would really appreciate your comments.

Is your sensitivity values in dB/mW or dB/V?

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #5,235 of 6,433

Then TBH, probably you won't get much benefit from amplification. Even a sub $10 apple dongle should suffice for your needs.

However, some dongles do colour the sound (ie they are perhaps warmer or bassier) and some consumers desire this colouration. Also, some dongles have high output impedance, and may not be suitable for gear with low impedance (rule of 8ths). Otherwise, the more powerful dongles probably might benefit you if you are using gear with low sensitivity or high impedance, in terms of tightening bass, increasing dynamics/soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back