USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 6, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #4,534 of 6,528
omg.....that Andy site is sick!!!

can't wait till he posts the iBasso 04 vs. 03 in-depth.

Andy, I just subscribed to your channel! How can you devote so much effort to this topic???

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #4,538 of 6,528
Any update on your opinion of the AK HC3 Someyoungguy? Also what is your source,,,,and how does the volume control work if not Android, if you know?
Sorry been sick for a few days and just noticed this. Yeah I love it, definitely a keeper for me. I’m using it with an iPhone, and control volume using the slider on HF Player. The only downside is the power draw is the highest out of the dongles I’ve owned, so I usually use it while connected to a charger.

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #4,540 of 6,528
Having had a bit of time to get used to the HC3, I thought I'd post some thoughts since there doesn't seem to be much around the internet about it.

A few things that spring to mind immediately are the great dynamics and punch it offers - there's a nice solidity to the low end that gives music a sense of heft and authority, as well as the HC3 having a well-developed ability to jump out with dynamic swings.

Most interesting is probably the sense of detail and soundstage it offers. I don't know how A&K manage it, but a trait I've noticed across several of their products is an ability to present the vocals as distinct from the rest of the music - not just in terms of definition or resolution, but also that the vocals often feel almost suspended in space, in the middle of the soundstage, so that they are distinctly audible in the sense of physical separation as well as audible clarity. Maybe it's some psychoacoustics at play, but I also feel like with the HC3 the bass instruments/notes are sitting in a lower position toward the depths of the soundstage, with the vocals or focus instruments (e.g. a main guitar line) floating above that bass in the center of the soundstage, and then with other instruments and elements dancing around these two from different places around the rest of the surrounding stage.

In terms of positioning of instruments, sometimes specific cymbal strikes or individuals notes come from a very distinct position with the soundstage, but in general there's a certain haziness to the imaging of many instruments. All the other dongles I have at hand - the Questyle M15 and Violectric Chronos - as well as other devices such as Cowon PM2 and Chord Mojo, all have more definite imaging, but without the same sense of bass fundamental, dynamic slam or soundstage that the HC3 has. To be clear, it's not that the HC3's is 'better' per se at any of these - as better is subjective - just that it is different, and different in a way I find fascinating rather than off-putting.

Detail-wise, the HC3 delivers some fascinating little touches and surprises with specific drums, cymbals or instruments being heard with an emphasis, position or drifting off of reverb that's different from that I get with other devices.

As odd as it sounds, the HC3 reminds me in many ways of the Apple Airpods Pro 2, which I owned for some time last year. They had an impressive sense of space and detail that would draw you in. But eventually, after hearing the ZE3000, I found the latter to be less immediately enthralling but ultimately more natural, with the Airpods 2 sounding a little too 'enhanced' in its approach to be entirely believable or rounded.

But whereas I found the Airpods 2 a bit too much in terms of it's presentation, the HC3 dials things back and, to my ears, doesn't go too overboard with it's emphasis. It has an image I wouldn't entirely class as strictly 'neutral' - there's some enhancement or coloration, whether applied at the DSP level or from the specific hardware decisions made during production, that gives it a bit of magic, but I find it draws me in without going too far into the realm of sounding processed or too extreme.

One of the few drawbacks to the device is the power draw. Among the dongles I've tested it comes out on top, so expect some battery drain if you pick up one yourself. From low to high the ones I've tested are:
Chronos: 320 mW
Questyle M12: 450 mW
Questyle M15 (single-ended): 430/450mW low/high gain
Shanling UA3: 530 mW
A&K HC3: 568 mW

The device itself gets a bit warm on use, but far below Mojo levels of warm. The fact the HC3 is compatible with an iPhone is a big upgrade over the PEE51, and the included adapter works fine even if it does add a slight extra extension from the phone socket.

In all, I love it, and it's rapidly become one of my favorite dongles. I'll be keeping it, the Chronos and M15, each of which offer something a little different in terms of sound, versatility and power. I also have the HC2 at present, but the only headphones I owned with balanced cables, the HD58X, I recently sold, so I have no way to use the HC2 at present to do comparisons.

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #4,541 of 6,528
Having had a bit of time to get used to the HC3, I thought I'd post some thoughts since there doesn't seem to be much around the internet about it.

A few things that spring to mind immediately are the great dynamics and punch it offers - there's a nice solidity to the low end that gives music a sense of heft and authority, as well as the HC3 having a well-developed ability to jump out with dynamic swings.

Most interesting is probably the sense of detail and soundstage it offers. I don't know how A&K manage it, but a trait I've noticed across several of their products is an ability to present the vocals as distinct from the rest of the music - not just in terms of definition or resolution, but also that the vocals often feel almost suspended in space, in the middle of the soundstage, so that they are distinctly audible in the sense of physical separation as well as audible clarity. Maybe it's some psychoacoustics at play, but I also feel like with the HC3 the bass instruments/notes are sitting in a lower position toward the depths of the soundstage, with the vocals or focus instruments (e.g. a main guitar line) floating above that bass in the center of the soundstage, and then with other instruments and elements dancing around these two from different places around the rest of the surrounding stage.

In terms of positioning of instruments, sometimes specific cymbal strikes or individuals notes come from a very distinct position with the soundstage, but in general there's a certain haziness to the imaging of many instruments. All the other dongles I have at hand - the Questyle M15 and Violectric Chronos - as well as other devices such as Cowon PM2 and Chord Mojo, all have more definite imaging, but without the same sense of bass fundamental, dynamic slam or soundstage that the HC3 has. To be clear, it's not that the HC3's is 'better' per se at any of these - as better is subjective - just that it is different, and different in a way I find fascinating rather than off-putting.

Detail-wise, the HC3 delivers some fascinating little touches and surprises with specific drums, cymbals or instruments being heard with an emphasis, position or drifting off of reverb that's different from that I get with other devices.

As odd as it sounds, the HC3 reminds me in many ways of the Apple Airpods Pro 2, which I owned for some time last year. They had an impressive sense of space and detail that would draw you in. But eventually, after hearing the ZE3000, I found the latter to be less immediately enthralling but ultimately more natural, with the Airpods 2 sounding a little too 'enhanced' in its approach to be entirely believable or rounded.

But whereas I found the Airpods 2 a bit too much in terms of it's presentation, the HC3 dials things back and, to my ears, doesn't go too overboard with it's emphasis. It has an image I wouldn't entirely class as strictly 'neutral' - there's some enhancement or coloration, whether applied at the DSP level or from the specific hardware decisions made during production, that gives it a bit of magic, but I find it draws me in without going too far into the realm of sounding processed or too extreme.

One of the few drawbacks to the device is the power draw. Among the dongles I've tested it comes out on top, so expect some battery drain if you pick up one yourself. From low to high the ones I've tested are:
Chronos: 320 mW
Questyle M12: 450 mW
Questyle M15 (single-ended): 430/450mW low/high gain
Shanling UA3: 530 mW
A&K HC3: 568 mW

The device itself gets a bit warm on use, but far below Mojo levels of warm. The fact the HC3 is compatible with an iPhone is a big upgrade over the PEE51, and the included adapter works fine even if it does add a slight extra extension from the phone socket.

In all, I love it, and it's rapidly become one of my favorite dongles. I'll be keeping it, the Chronos and M15, each of which offer something a little different in terms of sound, versatility and power. I also have the HC2 at present, but the only headphones I owned with balanced cables, the HD58X, I recently sold, so I have no way to use the HC2 at present to do comparisons.
Better is not always subjective.
I think the Questyle M15 sounds harsh. I'm looking for an open airy sounding dongle that is an huge upgrade from the Tempotec HD.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #4,543 of 6,528
Andy any update on DC 04 pro vs DC 03 pro ?
Trying not to buy the 04 😀
I will second this nudge.....with a further question. With the exception of volume control is the 03 the same as the iBasso DC05 I bought (and sold) a couple years ago?
edit...answering my own question. the 05 was ESS 9129.......and a bit harsh. the 03 (and 04) are Cirrus.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #4,544 of 6,528
Today's review on Headfonia is all about the brand new iBasso DC04PRO DAC/AMP. The DC04PRO dongle features the good old CS43131 from Cirrus-Logic, and it's our newest Recommended Buy Award winner. An article by @nanotechnos chrome_2023-03-16_08-29-00.png

Find out how the new iBasso DC04PRO sounds and performs, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/ibasso-dc04pro-review/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back