USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 1, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #4,501 of 6,458
I really liked the iBasso DC06 but after connecting it to the laptop one day, it started to emit e noise on the left side of the headphones. And now when I connect it to the phone, it causes the phone to restart and the same noise continues. I tried a different cable as well but nothing. It seems it has some kind of hardware issue and I won't risk to connect it again.

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #4,502 of 6,458
Hello guys,

I am new to all of this dongle and audio stuff. I would appreciate your help in deciding to get the right tools for my needs and setup.
Thanks in advance.

My headphones are HD 600, I use Windows 10 most of them, Spotify Prem, I also have a lot of FLAC files for specific albums For phone i use OnePlus 8T with usb C end no jack. Mainly for PC.

I would like to listen. At the moment I have a hard time running my 300 Ohm on the HD 600. I have been browsing a lot on AliExpress and other websites, my budget is 20-75 USD for the AMP/DAC dongle. But I am confused, what should I get?

I listen mostly to vocals, instrumental and pop songs. I play also a lot of Valorant and would like to make my HD 600 sound wider sound stage, if any AMP/DAC dongle allows or has that futuristic it would be cool.

Is 4.4mm balanced cable and dongle worth or should I focus on 3.5mm standard jack because I would need to connect the USB C dongle to a USB C to USB A, so it works with my desktop. If 4.4mm balanced worth it can you guys also link me some good cables from China AliExpress or Taobao?

I seen many dongles with different chips and some has 2x of them instead of 1x, does it matters? What is the best chip or leading one, or should I not care about the model and look for something else that is more important?

Chip models I have come across, what should one look for or go for?

Dual CS43131
ESS9118EC
CX31993
ESS ES9280C Pro
ES9281 Pro
AKM AK4377ECB

Which of these AMP dongles to get or do you have better suggestion?

Meizu mblu HiFi DAC

HiBy FC3 MQA

Xnycocn
random
random 2

JCally - JM7
Jcally JM50
Jcally JM60

BGVP T01s

iBasso DC03 Pro, DC04? 05? 06?

FiiO JadeAudio KA2, KA1? KA3?

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #4,503 of 6,458
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #4,504 of 6,458
Hello guys,

I am new to all of this dongle and audio stuff. I would appreciate your help in deciding to get the right tools for my needs and setup.
Thanks in advance.

My headphones are HD 600, I use Windows 10 most of them, Spotify Prem, I also have a lot of FLAC files for specific albums For phone i use OnePlus 8T with usb C end no jack. Mainly for PC.

I would like to listen. At the moment I have a hard time running my 300 Ohm on the HD 600. I have been browsing a lot on AliExpress and other websites, my budget is 20-75 USD for the AMP/DAC dongle. But I am confused, what should I get?

I listen mostly to vocals, instrumental and pop songs. I play also a lot of Valorant and would like to make my HD 600 sound wider sound stage, if any AMP/DAC dongle allows or has that futuristic it would be cool.

Is 4.4mm balanced cable and dongle worth or should I focus on 3.5mm standard jack because I would need to connect the USB C dongle to a USB C to USB A, so it works with my desktop. If 4.4mm balanced worth it can you guys also link me some good cables from China AliExpress or Taobao?

I seen many dongles with different chips and some has 2x of them instead of 1x, does it matters? What is the best chip or leading one, or should I not care about the model and look for something else that is more important?

Chip models I have come across, what should one look for or go for?
Dual CS43131
ESS9118EC
CX31993
ESS ES9280C Pro
ES9281 Pro
AKM AK4377ECB

Which of these AMP dongles to get or do you have better suggestion?

Meizu mblu HiFi DAC

HiBy FC3 MQA

Xnycocn
random
random 2

JCally - JM7
Jcally JM50
Jcally JM60

BGVP T01s

iBasso DC03 Pro, DC04? 05? 06?

FiiO JadeAudio KA2, KA1? KA3?

Thanks!

My 2 cents is that the DAC chip is secondary to the implementation and tuning (and the rest of the circuitry).

A 4.4mm output will generally give more power than a 3.5mm output, assuming your transducer has not enough headroom (eg something with high impedance and/or low sensitivity). In general, some manufacturers also gimp the 3.5mm output and put it as an afterthought, but if implemented well, the 3.5mm can sound as good as the 4.4mm output, other than a lack of power, and supposed better crosstalk/measurements (which may or may not be audible).

Would suggest the Colorfly CDA M1, with a firmware update, it has independent volume controls (fine steps), with good power on the 4.4mm output (also has high and low gain options). Good technicalities and mostly neutralish.

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #4,506 of 6,458
In today's article, we look at the Hidizs XO ($99), the new dual ES9219C chip dongle from the Hidizs. An article by @nanotechnos

Find out how the Hidizs XO dongle performs, sounds and compares, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/hidizs-xo-review/

chrome_2023-03-02_09-50-38.png

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #4,507 of 6,458
I don't know if you are aware of the Fosi Audio DS1 but if you don't you better be because this is a hidden gem at a bargain price.
1. Does it have a device-independent volume control?
2. How many steps does the volume volume control has?
3. Does DS1 remembers the last volume setting? If not, on which volume level does it start when connected?
4. Is it possible to press and hold a volume button to continuously change the volume, or is it necessary to press a button a number of times in order to change the volume by that much steps?

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #4,508 of 6,458
just ordered the iFi go link from Bloom Audio yesterday and it shipped today. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #4,509 of 6,458
No
2. How many steps does the volume volume control has?
15 in my phone
3. Does DS1 remembers the last volume setting? If not, on which volume level does it start when connected?
Yes
4. Is it possible to press and hold a volume button to continuously change the volume, or is it necessary to press a button a number of times in order to change the volume by that much steps?
Yes continuously

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #4,510 of 6,458
Thanks for the answers. I hope Fosi will add this feature in a firmware update, like Tanchjim did to Tanchjim Space: shared volume control with Android's 15 steps is woefully inadequate, especially after you get used to 100 steps provided by much cheaper dongles...

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #4,512 of 6,458
Tanchjim Space > Tempotec E44 >> Fosi DS1, imo.

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #4,513 of 6,458
If a dongle lacks 100 volume steps, UAPP solves that issue. You are limited to the app internal ecosystem though.
I don't use UAPP (prefer Neutron), but even for those who do - if there is a need to use an app, there is not much point in having a dongle with physical buttons. There are much cheaper good dongles without them. And I am not sure that using an app in such a case will be equivalent to having a separate control - it probably requires some software processing, which will have an impact on sound quality.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #4,514 of 6,458
Guys with your knowledge of the topic about portable DAC/AMP or experience of owning of the following below, which one would you go for and what would be your reasoning? My main goal will be getting 4.4mm balanced cable in future to run these with the HD 600, desktop use mainly.
I would like to get clear and detailed sound, for instrumental songs and when playing Valorant to get accurate image or whatever the right term would be.

• Colorfly CDA M
    -(Custom “Alpha” ESS Sabre based,RT6863 high-performance independent Op-AMP, 32-bit/768kHz PCM, DSD512 natively, DSD256 - DoP.)
  • iBasso DC06 (Double ES9219C, 32bit/384kHz PCM, DSD256)
  • TANCHJIM Space (Double DAC CS43131, 32-Bit/768kHz PCM, Native DSD256)
  • iBasso DC04 4.4.mm BL (Double DAC CS43131, 32bit/384kHz PCM, Native DSD256)
  • BGVP T01s 4.4mm BL (Single CX31993 chip, 32bit/384kHz PCM, DSD64/128)
  • FiiO JadeAudio KA2 (Double DAC CS43131, 32bit/384kHz PCM, DSD256)
  • FiiO JadeAudio KA3 (ES9038Q2M, 32bit/768kHz PCM, DSD512)
Thanks in advance.

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #4,515 of 6,458
I don't use UAPP (prefer Neutron), but even for those who do - if there is a need to use an app, there is not much point in having a dongle with physical buttons. There are much cheaper good dongles without them. And I am not sure that using an app in such a case will be equivalent to having a separate control - it probably requires some software processing, which will have an impact on sound quality.
If Neutron offers integration with streaming services I think i'd migrate. Thats my main reason for having UAPP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back