USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Nov 7, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #4,201 of 6,421
Maybe you can wait for @OspreyAndy review of jcally ap10 to see if its a good options too for around 40ish
What I can share for now, 7Hz 71 is a very basic unit without any added features, AP10 on the other hand has two gain mode for up to 3.8 Vrms (7hz limited to 1 Vrms). So you pay for more feature on AP10. Quality wise they are both great sounding dongles, 7Hz 71 a bit crisper focused while AP10 has smoother timbre (similar to JCally JM10 but more powerful). So it also boils down to preferences

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #4,202 of 6,421
What I can share for now, 7Hz 71 is a very basic unit without any added features, AP10 on the other hand has two gain mode for up to 3.8 Vrms (7hz limited to 1 Vrms). So you pay for more feature on AP10. Quality wise they are both great sounding dongles, 7Hz 71 a bit crisper focused while AP10 has smoother timbre (similar to JCally JM10 but more powerful). So it also boils down to preferences
When we can expect the release of the AP10 review, really looking forward to it.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #4,204 of 6,421
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #4,206 of 6,421
I've bought a Jcally AP10 from Lnefan Audio Store but the product is out of stock. Be aware.
Still waiting for mine to be shipped from cklewis audio store also.

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #4,207 of 6,421
Hello guys, here's my mini feedback with hifigo if you ever plan to shop there.

I bought a xDuoo Link2 Bal a while back then eventually the 3.5 mm jack got lose and start having broken signal intermittently. I reached out to them and they were happy to take it back for repair. The painful part was me shipping it back to China for them to repair which took foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (2-3 months?). I swear I thought the item was lost and I had already given up.

But next thing I know I got an e-mail saying they have received it and started the repair process (sending back to xDuoo). Then shortly after I got the item back! (somehow ship to me is fast) So now I have a newish/refurbished xDuoo Link2 Bal!

So aside form shipping to China (from Canada) is absolutely TERRIBLE and SLOW, hifigo has been superb in assisting me getting it repaired and actually got it back to me in reasonable time (if you ignore the time it travel to China).

Let's pray no one has any broken device but otherwise hifigo is amazing in customer service. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #4,208 of 6,421
I'm also thinking about getting a budget dongle to accompany my sonata hd pro, while the 11.11 sale lasts. (something which is practical to use with phone - I'm planning to retire the old less portable dac dongles Lusya es9018k2m and the SMSL X4)

I'm considering options from zero to about 40$. I would prefer detachable cable + hardware volume, but I realize that it's not very common.

My main question would be: are there any impressions about the Tempotec HD III? Link It's based on ess chip, but it's marketed as "new HD Pro". At least, form factor is the same.. That would be my main pick in upper end in terms of price, but I couldnt find any external reviews. Hiby FC1 has similar form factor and for 2/3 price probably a lower tier SQ, but I couldnt find any reviews about this either (apart from aliex feedback)

Without the volume buttons, from cheap to more expensive I wishlisted Jcally JA3/JM6/JM7, BGVP T01S, 7hz 71, Jcally AP7, Fiio KA1 and of course Jcally JM10 (having the HD Pro, I can imagine how this sounds)
I wonder where the SQ becomes inferior to the HD Pro in this list. And for example, is there a clear progression between the conexant based chips, or the T01S doesnt worth the premium over the jcally with same chip?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #4,209 of 6,421
Taking into account I do not use IEMs is there an iPhone-friendly dongle that is better for over ears headphones like Focal Clear or Sundaras? I've narrowed my choices to Cayin RU6, Questyle M15 and Ifi Go Bar. Having a hard time picking between those threes... would appreciate a some input. Thanks.

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #4,210 of 6,421
Taking into account I do not use IEMs is there an iPhone-friendly dongle that is better for over ears headphones like Focal Clear or Sundaras? I've narrowed my choices to Cayin RU6, Questyle M15 and Ifi Go Bar. Having a hard time picking between those threes... would appreciate a some input. Thanks.
I vaguely remember reading about RU6 taking too much power draw on iPhone on high gain over certain volume, then iPhone would give you a power warning and crap out.

Assuming of you don't run into power draw issue then I think all 3 are solid choices. But I personally don't have Sundara or Clear so let's see what others have to say.

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #4,211 of 6,421
Hello guys, here's my mini feedback with hifigo if you ever plan to shop there.

I bought a xDuoo Link2 Bal a while back then eventually the 3.5 mm jack got lose and start having broken signal intermittently. I reached out to them and they were happy to take it back for repair. The painful part was me shipping it back to China for them to repair which took foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (2-3 months?). I swear I thought the item was lost and I had already given up.

But next thing I know I got an e-mail saying they have received it and started the repair process (sending back to xDuoo). Then shortly after I got the item back! (somehow ship to me is fast) So now I have a newish/refurbished xDuoo Link2 Bal!

So aside form shipping to China (from Canada) is absolutely TERRIBLE and SLOW, hifigo has been superb in assisting me getting it repaired and actually got it back to me in reasonable time (if you ignore the time it travel to China).

Let's pray no one has any broken device but otherwise hifigo is amazing in customer service. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Hifigo also has USA warehouse where returns are processed. They should have allowed you to send your item there to save on time and shipping. Good to hear it all worked out.

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #4,212 of 6,421
Hifigo also has USA warehouse where returns are processed. They should have allowed you to send your item there to save on time and shipping. Good to hear it all worked out.
I think they said something about needing to send back to xDuoo for repair.

But yeah otherwise sending to US would've been much quicker and easier lol.

Nov 12, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #4,213 of 6,421
I have a FIIO Q3-MQA unit that gets zero attention around here. It has THX power and AKM chips. I have not tried it with over ear headphones but it has its own batteries so worth doing a bit more research. Oh, I don't use the MQA but you want this version because it has a good USB sync chip which helps a lot on the iphone.

Nov 13, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #4,214 of 6,421

Nothing but praise for the Questyle M15.
I use it with Senns HD800S, AK T5P 2nd Gen and various Grados.
Great sounding unit with plenty of power for headphones.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #4,215 of 6,421
I have a FIIO Q3-MQA unit that gets zero attention around here.
Assuming that's because Q3 is not a dongle. It's a battery-powered DAC/amp that's the size of a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back