USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Nov 2, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #4,187 of 6,469
any news about the release of tanchjim space?

Nov 4, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #4,188 of 6,469
updated the firmware on the Colorfly CDA M1 - the main change is that the sound control has become independent on the DAC and is smoother (100 steps instead of 10 before). The firmware (M1_V1.0 2022-10-20) is downloaded from official site https://www.colorfly.net/down.aspx
to update, you need to install the M1_Windows driver (downloaded from the same link above).
download the driver and firmware, unpack, install the driver, then click on the firmware file, it is installed. in the folder with the firmware there is an instruction with a picture of the installation (the same as I wrote, but in Chinese)
simply and easily.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #4,190 of 6,469
Is Shanling UA2 and UA2 Plus the same unit except for the 4.4 socket?

Not really. Although the DAC chip is the same (but ES9038Q2M is a really capable one, so no need for changing it), they use 2 RT6863 amps, instead of one. As a consequence of that different amp section, output impedance has been reduced from 0.8 Ohm to 0.5 in single ended and from 1.6 to 1 Ohm in balanced.

They also say power management has been optimized up to 40% in playback, but this is something to be verified.

My take: it appears to be an optimized update of the original UA2, with all its problems and shortcomings addressed. I like that @Shanling would have opened an official thread about this model, as I think it seems to be a very good contender.

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #4,191 of 6,469
Just picked up the A&K HC2. The power draw specs I get are:

Connected only (no music):
70 mA
270 mW

Playing music:
89 mA
349 mW

That's pretty good, higher than Chronos but less than the other dongles I've had and tested: Questyle M12, M15, Shanling UA3. Soundwise I don't have much to say yet - the only headphones I have with a balanced cable are a pair of HD58Xs, with I've also just got hold of.

I previously had the PEE51, which was one of my favorite dongles, but unfortunately I sold it so can't do side by side comparisons. I couldn't use PEE51 with my iPhone though, which you can with HC2, so that's a bonus.

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #4,193 of 6,469
I am very satisfied with the Moondrop Dawn 4.4 mm

It has natural sound and excellent resolution, without being too clinical and sterile and not harsh at all

I am using it with some HD 660S which are quite dark sounding headphones and the pairing is great

The only thing I would like more is about the functionality, it would be fantastic to be able to obtain through firmware update a precise and independent volume control, directly from the app, as iBasso does, and why not MQA decoding

Nov 7, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #4,194 of 6,469
I am very satisfied with the Moondrop Dawn 4.4 mm

It has natural sound and excellent resolution, without being too clinical and sterile and not harsh at all

I am using it with some HD 660S which are quite dark sounding headphones and the pairing is great

The only thing I would like more is about the functionality, it would be fantastic to be able to obtain through firmware update a precise and independent volume control, directly from the app, as iBasso does, and why not MQA decoding
I almost regret ordering the Link2 BAL now.

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #4,196 of 6,469
What would be a better pick between 7hz Sevenhertz 71 or JCALLY AP7 considering similar specs (AK4377) in this ~ 30 to 40 price bracket? or maybe JCALLY AP10 with Dual (CS43131)?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #4,197 of 6,469
What would be a better pick between 7hz Sevenhertz 71 or JCALLY AP7 considering similar specs (AK4377) in this ~ 30 to 40 price bracket? or maybe JCALLY JM10 with (CS43131)?
Maybe you can wait for @OspreyAndy review of jcally ap10 to see if its a good options too for around 40ish

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #4,198 of 6,469
I almost regret ordering the Link2 BAL now.
They should be quite different, Moondrop Dawn is exceptionally clean and transparent, Link2 Bal as I understand it adds a bit of harmonic distortion, a bit warmer and fuller sound at the expense of some resolution and precision.

Link2 Bal definitely has the advantage of having 3.5 and 4.4 mm and the cable is detachable.

It essentially depends on the preferences and character of the headphones / iems to be matched.

With something brighter maybe I would have chosen more Link2 Bal or Shanling UA3.

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #4,199 of 6,469
Maybe you can wait for @OspreyAndy review of jcally ap10 to see if its a good options too for around 40ish
Yes I have been thinking the same thing, definitely looking forward to the review, but want to fit into 11.11 sale window. AP10 seem pretty good and a bit higher end, it goes a bit higher in price too than both 7hz Sevenhertz 71 and JCALLY AP7, also is bigger and probably will be more hungry, specially with dual chips, 71 seem quite perfect in size and especially lower power draw for daily use.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #4,200 of 6,469
Lol I'm assuming it depends on your headphone, from what I read Dawn is brighter and Link2 Bal is darker.

So you might want to pair the opposite signature on your headphone.
100% this. I wouldn't call the L2B dark, because I generally associate that term with a lack of detail due to exaggerated sub bass frequencies. That said, it certainly isn't bright either lol. I'd put it on the warmer side of neutral. Then again I usually use very clear, resolving iems and cans (grados, akg, etymotic, etc.) My lcd-classics should be here within the week so I'll see how it sounds with those!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back