USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Oct 26, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #4,171 of 6,454
Anyone tried the new JCally more premium line?

AP10: Dual CS43131. Hope is Link2 Bal on budget? NOT coincidentally, IBasso is launching DC03 Pro for this year 11.11 (would be great see impressions on both).

AP90: AK4493SEQ is tested by Vortex and he liked it. Transparent replay

AP98: Dual CS43198. A flagship Cirrus? I'm pretty curious about this one but no reviews or opinions at all. By the price and chip, might be better on resolution, idk.

I like warmer tunings, so I might be biased torwards AP10 (if it is in fact a Link2 Bal dupe). But almost risking the more expensive ones because of what they are hardware speaking? Mmm. Anyway, hope anyone is getting any of them and shares insights here :)
I have the latest JCally AP10 now. Frankly JCally has surprised me quite a bit. It's not a Link2 BAL dupe (the design with rotary vol is a fresh take from JCally), that dual CS43131 with 3.8 Vrms of power offer great tuning output. Yes it does exhibit similarities with LINK2 BAL in term of neutral organic timbre and wide staging - this is to be expected of highly competent DAC/Amp. The technicalities seems great too

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #4,172 of 6,454

AP10: Dual CS43131. Hope is Link2 Bal on budget? NOT coincidentally, IBasso is launching DC03 Pro for this year 11.11 (would be great see impressions on both).

AP98: Dual CS43198. A flagship Cirrus? I'm pretty curious about this one but no reviews or opinions at all. By the price and chip, might be better on resolution, idk.

I like warmer tunings, so I might be biased torwards AP10 (if it is in fact a Link2 Bal dupe). But almost risking the more expensive ones because of what they are hardware speaking? Mmm. Anyway, hope anyone is getting any of them and shares insights here :)
I know someone who has all 3 and he said the AP10 has noticeably less power and a laggy volume wheel and he said the AP98 sounds the best which I presume is the Moondrop Moonriver 2.

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #4,173 of 6,454
Check out my Hidizs XO USB DAC dongle.
20221027_141327.jpg
20221027_140926.jpg
20221027_140912_HDR.jpg
20221027_140902.jpg

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #4,174 of 6,454

I have a AP7 in mail and will be able to listen to them tomorrow it also is barely $5-7 cheaper than AP90. Also, I'm looking forward to get one AP90 as soon as it is back in stock at the local retailer.

I'm actually fascinated by the new JCAlly lineup

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #4,175 of 6,454
Check out my Hidizs XO USB DAC dongle.20221027_141327.jpg20221027_140926.jpg20221027_140912_HDR.jpg20221027_140902.jpg

Interesting that according to Hidizs' own stats, the XO is slightly worse in nearly every respect compared to the S9 Pro. It looks like the only thing you're getting is MQA, which is the opposite of a value add from my perspective. I'll stick with my OG S9.

1666971700737.png

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #4,176 of 6,454
I have a AP7 in mail and will be able to listen to them tomorrow it also is barely $5-7 cheaper than AP90. Also, I'm looking forward to get one AP90 as soon as it is back in stock at the local retailer.

I'm actually fascinated by the new JCAlly lineup
AP7 is actually not bad for a portable dongle. AKM DAC is pretty smooth and it has ample of power to drive IEMs. I haven't tried them with the demanding gear as of now but so far the impressions are positive. They serve the purpose of being a good portable dongle.

I tried them with my HZSound Heart Mirror and they were able to drive them efficiently at 40% volume. Good strong dynamics and clean output. I think if balanced output isn't a requirement then it's a fantastic choice for the price.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #4,177 of 6,454

I have the ap10 and the link 2 bal. The ap10 is to the L2B as a mcdouble is to a homemade burger. Cheap production makes cheap sound (or flavor 😜). It isn't terrible though, and to the uninitiated it sounds great! I keep my ap10 at work for the crew to use. For me, it sounds good enough to keep and cheap enough to replace.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #4,178 of 6,454
So I just received my AP98 and unfortunately I'll be requesting a replacement or refund, whichever works best with the Ali store I bought from. The AP98 4.4mm jack has a defect where I can't fully insert the connector. As a result it doesn't playback from the right side audio. I can force it in but it'll slowly eject.

I also have a Fiio KA3 to compare. I'm an amateur but my impressions are as follows. Via Sundara 2020 AutoEQ.
-AP90 (AK) sounds a tad grainy but overall smooth listening.
-AP98 (CS) just clear and smooth. Interesting to note that dimensions have the AP98 slightly shorter in length than the AP90. Also it starts in low gain whereas AP90 starts high gain.
-KA3 (ESS) sharper than either. More treble?

I also bought a CX31988 4.4mm DAC I'm waiting delivery on but I'm guessing I won't hear anything better albeit it will have less power output.

Lastly I have Apple and Google USB DACs but I didn't do a side by side comparison as that would mean I'd have to use the 3.5mm jack which isn't loud enough for me with the Sundara.

Honestly I just wanted to get an impression of these 3 DACs and to me any of the 3 I'm happy with. I bought the Sundara recently too as an upgrade over the HD6xx and K7XX I've had for years and I get better listening upgrade value from the Sundara. I'm satisfied... :)

Screenshot 2022-10-28 154424.png

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #4,179 of 6,454
So I just received my AP98 and unfortunately I'll be requesting a replacement or refund, whichever works best with the Ali store I bought from. The AP98 4.4mm jack has a defect where I can't fully insert the connector. As a result it doesn't playback from the right side audio. I can force it in but it'll slowly eject.

I also have a Fiio KA3 to compare. I'm an amateur but my impressions are as follows. Via Sundara 2020 AutoEQ.
-AP98 (CS) just clear and smooth. Interesting to note that dimensions have the AP98 slightly shorter in length than the AP90. Also it starts in low gain whereas AP90 starts high gain.

I also bought a CX31988 4.4mm DAC I'm waiting delivery on but I'm guessing I won't hear anything better albeit it will have less power output.

Lastly I have Apple and Google USB DACs but I didn't do a side by side comparison as that would mean I'd have to use the 3.5mm jack which isn't loud enough for me with the Sundara.

Honestly I just wanted to get an impression of these 3 DACs and to me any of the 3 I'm happy with. I bought the Sundara recently too as an upgrade over the HD6xx and K7XX I've had for years and I get better listening upgrade value from the Sundara. I'm satisfied... :)

Oh noo 😭 AP98 is already in the cart waiting for 11.11

QC issues hitting hard. The price is so temptative

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #4,181 of 6,454

Screenshot 2022-10-28 154424.png
Ka3 sharper? Have you tried it without eq? To my ears the ka3 is a well balanced natural tuning. It is clear, to be sure, but not shouty or piercing.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #4,182 of 6,454
Ka3 sharper? Have you tried it without eq? To my ears the ka3 is a well balanced natural tuning. It is clear, to be sure, but not shouty or piercing.
I only wanting to keep things as close as possible as I was also comparing headphones between Sundara/HD6XX/K7XX so I AutoEQ'd the 3 headphones. Focusing comparison of the DACs, I used the Sundara primarily.

When I noticed the KA3 as sharper, it was such a miniscule difference on certain tracks between the 3. Honestly it could have been placebo depending on the time of day I repeat the same music over and over again to compare. The 3 are just very close to me. If anything I find preference with AP90/AP98 over the KA3, its that it is easier to use as I can change the gain output via the hard buttons and I don't have to worry about impedence settings when I change headphones or IEMs. The KA3 I'd have to connect to my Android phone and adjust via their app.

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #4,184 of 6,454
I know someone who has all 3 and he said the AP10 has noticeably less power and a laggy volume wheel and he said the AP98 sounds the best which I presume is the Moondrop Moonriver 2.
Please post your impressions - interesting looking dongle 👍🏻.

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #4,185 of 6,454
I only wanting to keep things as close as possible as I was also comparing headphones between Sundara/HD6XX/K7XX so I AutoEQ'd the 3 headphones. Focusing comparison of the DACs, I used the Sundara primarily.

When I noticed the KA3 as sharper, it was such a miniscule difference on certain tracks between the 3. Honestly it could have been placebo depending on the time of day I repeat the same music over and over again to compare. The 3 are just very close to me. If anything I find preference with AP90/AP98 over the KA3, its that it is easier to use as I can change the gain output via the hard buttons and I don't have to worry about impedence settings when I change headphones or IEMs. The KA3 I'd have to connect to my Android phone and adjust via their

When I noticed the KA3 as sharper, it was such a miniscule difference on certain tracks between the 3. Honestly it could have been placebo depending on the time of day I repeat the same music over and over again to compare. The 3 are just very close to me. If anything I find preference with AP90/AP98 over the KA3, its that it is easier to use as I can change the gain output via the hard buttons and I don't have to worry about impedence settings when I change headphones or IEMs. The KA3 I'd have to connect to my Android phone and adjust via their app.
I gotcha, having that physical gain switch IS pretty excellent. I run my PS5 audio through the L2B to my little dot II. Some old mullards make for a rich, involving soundstage.
And without that gain switch I wouldn't hear a bit of it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back