USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Sep 11, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #4,096 of 6,421
Headfonia's weekend review is all about the Fiio K2 DAC/AMP dongle.

Find out how it sounds and compares, now on Headfonia!
https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-ka2-review/

dac-fiio-ka2-headfonia-12.jpg

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #4,098 of 6,421
Maybe this question deserves a new thread. For iphone users, does anybody here use an app from HiBy or FIIO to drive their dongles? I have been using the HiBy app, with has DoP which is needed to get DSD sources to bitstream. The FIIO app seems to have DoP, but the iphone files app does not seem to see the FIIO app as a potential destination.

Anyway my goal would be to create a folder driver playlist. It seems that the HiBy app just stops when it is done with one folder. Would love some tips on managing files that mix PCM (FLAC) with DSD to create a folder driven playlist experience.

I think the Onkyo app can do DoP with a paid upgrade; but I am a bit concerned about purchasing an Onkyo app given that the firm is either bankrupt or having severe issues.

Any other apps or thoughts on using these apps?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #4,100 of 6,421
I just picked up a Shanling UA5 and thought I'd update the table I posted earlier, because man this is a current-thirsty little dongle!

There's a number of settings that affect the power draw, etc. so I've shown some of the different options below. Also, I'm only using the 3.5mm output for the UA5 (and others in the table below).

Connected but not playingPlaying music
DonglemAmWmAmW
Questyle M15 (low gain):6131086430
Questyle M15 (high gain):6131090460
Questyle M12 (auto low gain):6432090450
Shanling UA3 (default settings):38190105530
Violectric Chronos:3317060320
Shanling UA5 - connected, no music56240
Shanling UA5 - single DAC mode, internal battery mode, low gain, charging off58247
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, internal battery mode, low gain, charging off65273
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, usb power mode, low gain, charging off116483
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, usb power mode, low gain, charging on116485
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, usb power mode, low gain, charging on116486
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, usb power mode, high gain, charging on116486

One thing I don't get is the separate options for usb or battery power as well as charging on or off - I would have thought if it's USB powered it will use whatever leftover incoming current there is to recharge the battery? Anyway, that option doesn't seem to change power draw for me at present - maybe the battery is already full.

These measures are with my iPhone, as was done previously for the other dongles in the table, but it seems to hit the iPhone power limit in the bottom rows - with my PC the current draw tops out at over 230mA and 1222mW when all the current hungry settings are on!

So far it sounds pretty good, but I think the current draw will make it a non-starter for me for use as a portable dongle with my phone. It's okay at the lowest power draw settings, but quickly gets pretty high once the settings change. Also it gets warm quickly, and even the cable and connectors get warm.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #4,102 of 6,421
I just picked up a Shanling UA5 and thought I'd update the table I posted earlier, because man this is a current-thirsty little dongle!

There's a number of settings that affect the power draw, etc. so I've shown some of the different options below. Also, I'm only using the 3.5mm output for the UA5 (and others in the table below).

Connected but not playingPlaying music
DonglemAmWmAmW
Questyle M15 (low gain):6131086430
Questyle M15 (high gain):6131090460
Questyle M12 (auto low gain):6432090450
Shanling UA3 (default settings):38190105530
Violectric Chronos:3317060320
Shanling UA5 - connected, no music56240
Shanling UA5 - single DAC mode, internal battery mode, low gain, charging off58247
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, internal battery mode, low gain, charging off65273
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, usb power mode, low gain, charging off116483
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, usb power mode, low gain, charging on116485
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, usb power mode, low gain, charging on116486
Shanling UA5 - dual DAC mode, usb power mode, high gain, charging on116486

One thing I don't get is the separate options for usb or battery power as well as charging on or off - I would have thought if it's USB powered it will use whatever leftover incoming current there is to recharge the battery? Anyway, that option doesn't seem to change power draw for me at present - maybe the battery is already full.

These measures are with my iPhone, as was done previously for the other dongles in the table, but it seems to hit the iPhone power limit in the bottom rows - with my PC the current draw tops out at over 230mA and 1222mW when all the current hungry settings are on!

So far it sounds pretty good, but I think the current draw will make it a non-starter for me for use as a portable dongle with my phone. It's okay at the lowest power draw settings, but quickly gets pretty high once the settings change. Also it gets warm quickly, and even the cable and connectors get warm.
Thank you for sharing this. I recall seeing one post where some of the distortion data seemed alarming. I gather you did not find anything amiss?

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #4,103 of 6,421
Thank you for sharing this. I recall seeing one post where some of the distortion data seemed alarming. I gather you did not find anything amiss?
I don't actually have any way of measuring distortion - other than my ears :beyersmile:. It sounds good, and I'll keep it around for a while to get a better feel for the sound. I liked the UA3 too, but noticed it drained my phone battery quite quickly (iPhone 12 mini), so ended up selling it. Maybe I'll end up doing the same with the UA5, depends how the internal battery use works in everyday life. Chronos is great for me on the go, and then for transportable/desktop use I have Mojopoly, so no real need for a powerful (and power hungry) dongle. The FiiO BTR7 looks interesting too with it's 4-hr battery life.

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #4,107 of 6,421
I see.
The Switch only accepts UAC1 devices that default to 16/48, can't imagine anything above $5 doing that these days.
The default can be set by the user to either USB type.

On some units you need to run some android apps to make the USB default selection.

If you find a device that appeals to you, read the reviews to see if the device does indeed do the trick.

Again, the devices that offer both types of USB do that specifically because they want to support devices like the Switch. Its not an accidental feature.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #4,110 of 6,421
Hi can someone recommend me a dac that purely does male vocals justice? Don't care about anything else but just excellent, very dense and emotional sounding male vocals that aren't too warm but rather detailed with great speed and realism. I hate thin noteweight the most followed by a slow dull warm sound as a close second. Been monitoring this thread a couple of days and was thinking which one from the lotoopaws2, cayin ru6, link2bal or centrance hd port be my best bet? Also a spacious sound would be an added bonus but not priority and my main iem would be moondrop Kato. @OspreyAndy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back