USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Aug 30, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #4,081 of 6,468
This one, that has just been launched, looks very good on paper, but the brand does not have the best track in measurements, and specs do not include output power. Time to wait and see, but...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004661505589.html

Yes, looking for something similar, KA3 and DC06 cost more, but they have a solid brand behind.

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #4,082 of 6,468
Aug 30, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #4,083 of 6,468
Does anyone know of a good DAC that is suitable for low-impedance IEMs (12-14 ohms)? I am looking for something that has low output impedance (to prevent FR deformation) and it should be truly neutral.

Aug 30, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #4,084 of 6,468
Does anyone know of a good DAC that is suitable for low-impedance IEMs (12-14 ohms)? I am looking for something that has low output impedance (to prevent FR deformation) and it should be truly neutral.

fiio thing is neutral.

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #4,085 of 6,468
I found the UA3 to be neutral and clean

Aug 31, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #4,087 of 6,468

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, if you can still find one. OI < 1 ohm.

The Questyle M15 also has low impedance, specifically on the single ended output: OI 3.5mm: 0.96 ohm, OI 4.4mm: 1.22 ohm

Based on the rules of 8ths, these should be good for low impedance IEMs.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #4,088 of 6,468
Just wanted to drop by and support a dongle that seems to be out of everyone’s radar, i own plenty of dongles since its the best option for on the go. Paw s1 (and getting s2 tomorrow, bought one used), w2, a&k peek51, m15, if gobar etc.

The colorfly cda m1 its still my 2go, the gobar its AMAZING and so the Questyle m15, but for a fraction of the price the colorfly stands its ground and delivers sq closed to both of em, its lighter and less bulky.

I just broke my beloved gigabyte essential dac, which was my favorite in terms of battery preservation and easiness to connect to any device, sadly the cable has a shortcut and if i move it around in my pocket it makes a ton of noise before shutting off. It seems its being discontinued since i cant find it anymore but used. Ill try to fix it but … well…

But anyway, just wanted to give some love to the colorfly, most analogue sounding one and fits my needs.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #4,089 of 6,468
Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, if you can still find one. OI < 1 ohm.

The Questyle M15 also has low impedance, specifically on the single ended output: OI 3.5mm: 0.96 ohm, OI 4.4mm: 1.22 ohm

Based on the rules of 8ths, these should be good for low impedance IEMs.

Thank you for your input.

After some research, I am thinking of getting the xDuoo Link2 Bal. Not 100% sure if it would be okay with IEMs lower than 16 ohms. Has anyone measured if it altered the FR out of 3.5mm low-gain.

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #4,090 of 6,468
Earstudio HUD100 Mk2

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #4,091 of 6,468
Sorry if this is a little too off-topic, but I wonder if there's a quality USB-C adapter for my phone that will allow me to use my portable DAC (AQ Dragonfly RED, Zorloo Ztella, ADV Accessport Lite 2) while also fast-charging my Galaxy S22 Ultra at the same time. When I use a DAC with my Samsung Fast Wireless charger, it bumps down to normal wireless charging speed and does not gain much power over time. Between the Android OS, Samsung, the USB-C standard, battery best practices, and each DAC manufacturer's implementations, I'm not sure if this is even possible but I figure someone here might know.

Sep 5, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #4,092 of 6,468
Sorry if this is a little too off-topic, but I wonder if there's a quality USB-C adapter for my phone that will allow me to use my portable DAC (AQ Dragonfly RED, Zorloo Ztella, ADV Accessport Lite 2) while also fast-charging my Galaxy S22 Ultra at the same time. When I use a DAC with my Samsung Fast Wireless charger, it bumps down to normal wireless charging speed and does not gain much power over time. Between the Android OS, Samsung, the USB-C standard, battery best practices, and each DAC manufacturer's implementations, I'm not sure if this is even possible but I figure someone here might know.
I use this with my Sammy A51 in the car:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09LM71CZ9?psc=1

Audio dongle goes in the USB-A slot, power goes in the USB-C slot. Phone charges while playing music out of the dongle no prob.

I think the trick is to find connectors specifically described as "OTG adapters" versus just simply "USB-C splitters." I think the "OTG" USB protocol is official and somehow different to enable this kind of functionality over simple USB-C splitters. Also, you want to make sure that your OTG adapter is capable of fast charging and that your charger is also a fast charger, so that you are charging the battery faster than your dongle is depleting it. The one I linked above ticks both these boxes.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #4,093 of 6,468
Today we review the Shanling UA3 USB on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/shanling-ua3-review/

shanling-UA3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back