USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jun 1, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #3,932 of 6,436
Having the same problem I went ahead and got the Samsung one it's broken four times so I'd rather just spend more and get a good one.

What exactly is UAPP?
UAPP is an app available on the playstore (USB Audio Player)

I had a Tempotec before it died in two months, honestly i don't trust any of these dongles
Apple's dongle has a fragile appearance and inspires care but with zeal you'll be fine

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #3,933 of 6,436
UAPP is an app available on the playstore (USB Audio Player)

I had a Tempotec before it died in two months, honestly i don't trust any of these dongles
Apple's dongle has a fragile appearance and inspires care but with zeal you'll be fine
Thanks!

I had 0 issues whe. I could plug into a phone. Now with singles it's wild and crazy these die so fast. Hoping to NOT spend $100 year in dongles. There had to be a high quality solution for a 3.5mm jack that is not massive in a pocket... Anyone?

Jun 1, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #3,934 of 6,436
Thanks!

I had 0 issues whe. I could plug into a phone. Now with singles it's wild and crazy these die so fast. Hoping to NOT spend $100 year in dongles. There had to be a high quality solution for a 3.5mm jack that is not massive in a pocket... Anyone?
Periodic Audio Nickel

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #3,935 of 6,436
Periodic Audio Nickel
The Periodic Audio Nickel looks very interesting. I like the fact it is purely an amp with 3.5 in and 3.5 out. Have you any experience of pairing this with any LG V-series phones? Wonder how the V30/V40 would sound with this as they are super DACs.

Jun 1, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #3,936 of 6,436
The Periodic Audio Nickel looks very interesting. I like the fact it is purely an amp with 3.5 in and 3.5 out. Have you any experience of pairing this with any LG V-series phones? Wonder how the V30/V40 would sound with this as they are super DACs.
I use my Nickel with my MO, Sansa Clip+ and phone. It sounds great with everything I have used it with. It has been updated to have even longer battery runtime and a bit more output power. One would think double-amping would be detrimental to the sound but that isn't the case as the Nickel has a very high input impedance which greatly reduces the load on the source device. Even the Clip+ sounds superb with the Nickel. Makes for a very stealth package.. HiFi in the palm of the hand!
It also carries a 5 yr. warranty. Periodic's customer service is second to none.
I have never heard one of the LG V series, sorry I can't be of help there.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #3,937 of 6,436
I use my Nickel with my MO, Sansa Clip+ and phone. It sounds great with everything I have used it with. It has been updated to have even longer battery runtime and a bit more output power. One would think double-amping would be detrimental to the sound but that isn't the case as the Nickel has a very high input impedance which greatly reduces the load on the source device. Even the Clip+ sounds superb with the Nickel. Makes for a very stealth package.. HiFi in the palm of the hand!
It also carries a 5 yr. warranty. Periodic's customer service is second to none.
I have never heard one of the LG V series, sorry I can't be of help there.
Thanks. Also, does the Nickel drive high impedance headphones (250ohms+) as well as a budget desktop amp (e.g. Schitt Magni) and to what extent is battery consumption sacrificed as a result?

Jun 2, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #3,938 of 6,436
Thanks. Also, does the Nickel drive high impedance headphones (250ohms+) as well as a budget desktop amp (e.g. Schitt Magni) and to what extent is battery consumption sacrificed as a result?
I tried the Nickel with my 160 0hm 100db/mW ES-P1 earbuds using as a source both my Moto G7 phone and Shanling M0 player and in both cases, the output was well above my normal listening level. I then tried the same combo using my vintage Sennheiser HD-424 over ear phones which have an impedance of 2000 ohms! (That right, 2K!) and a sensitivity of about 96db/mW. With the M0 as the source, I easily reached my normal listening level with headroom to spare. My phone, however, delivered a lower volume. Still listenable but less than my normal level. The 424 is the most difficult to drive headphone I have ever owned, so perhaps you can get an idea of the capability of the Nickel!
I have noticed no excessive battery consumption. I am over 10 hours since charging and still have a green light.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #3,941 of 6,436
I'm trying to just power Sennheiser ear buds so that's a bit overkill.

I bought USB Audio Player Pro and the Apple headphone USB C adapter but
  1. Call volume with this adapter went dow. 25% like people said
  2. USB Audio Player Pro seems to distort or make the sound VERY Crackly.
Any ideas of a solution / setting?
It is an elegant solution to getting great sound from a 3.5 jack. Hardly impacts your phone battery unlike USB dongle.

Jun 7, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #3,943 of 6,436
Isn't it overkill though if all I'm doing is using $200 earbuds?
Maybe, depending on what value you place on your music quality. For sure a $200 earbud will sound better than directly out of your phone's headphone jack.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #3,944 of 6,436
Maybe, depending on what value you place on your music quality. For sure a $200 earbud will sound better than directly out of your phone's headphone jack.
And a $200 earbud will sound even better out of an LG Vxx's headphone jack!

Jun 9, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #3,945 of 6,436
iBasso DC06, detachable usb cable, 3.5 and 4.4 mm jack output

Today we check out the new iBasso DC06 on Headfonia! n article by @nanotechnos

https://www.headfonia.com/ibasso-dc06-review/

chrome_2022-06-09_08-44-07.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back