USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 21, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #3,886 of 6,497
Though I recently decide to give actual desktop unit another chance so I'll see how that goes.
Since needing to switch to IEMs because some big headphones messed up my jaw so badly all over ear headphones cause me pain, I had to switch away from my old dac/amp stacks (I had to set the volume really low to get a reasonable volume for my ears, and that lead to channel imbalance).

And honestly, I’m a huge fan of the ifi idsd nano I got for my desk setup.

May 21, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #3,887 of 6,497
For the longest I've been using Dragonfly Red on my home desktop and my work desktop LOL.

Though I recently decide to give actual desktop unit another chance so I'll see how that goes. Only just got it yesterday so I won't give any impression yet, will get back to you guys after 1 week. :p

EDIT: Sorry you mentioned Dragonfly Black you'll be missed, may I asked what you upgrade to?
I use Dragonfly Black > Dragonfly Red > BTR5.
I lost my black during hectic family event.

I genuinely thought that Red will be Black upgrade. It was not.
Black is all about making the sounds pops out more (moar of everything). it lack nuanced stereo imaging (sounds comes either left or right, no center),
it greats with movies which it emphasizes the explosion and dialog. kinda sucks for gaming, because of that lacking of center sound.

Red in comparison sounds feels a bit veiled, coloured, warm i guess. its not as "clear and pops" like black did. It does have better stereo imaging, there is center sound so in gaming character movement is better presented. Reviews shows that have smoother treble and apparently better mids, but my old gear (ATH-M40x) have no problem with treble so it lack the synergy.
But Red finds new life with HE400i (2020) who have a bit problem with treble, it makes the sounds a bit sweeter.

BTR5 is a different creature, its closer to black. Ultimately, it have clarity that Red is lacking and at the time, it is what i'm looking for.

May 21, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #3,888 of 6,497
I use Dragonfly Black > Dragonfly Red > BTR5.
I lost my black during hectic family event.

I genuinely thought that Red will be Black upgrade. It was not.
Black is all about making the sounds pops out more (moar of everything). it lack nuanced stereo imaging (sounds comes either left or right, no center),
it greats with movies which it emphasizes the explosion and dialog. kinda sucks for gaming, because of that lacking of center sound.

Red in comparison sounds feels a bit veiled, coloured, warm i guess. its not as "clear and pops" like black did. It does have better stereo imaging, there is center sound so in gaming character movement is better presented. Reviews shows that have smoother treble and apparently better mids, but my old gear (ATH-M40x) have no problem with treble so it lack the synergy.
But Red finds new life with HE400i (2020) who have a bit problem with treble, it makes the sounds a bit sweeter.

BTR5 is a different creature, its closer to black. Ultimately, it have clarity that Red is lacking and at the time, it is what i'm looking for.
Ah yes my memory is coming back now LOL. I think I've talked to you about this before. Between reading tons and tons of reviews and impressions and my brain has all meshed together, but it's coming back again lol.

Funny how between Red and Black you prefer the Black. For me between the Cobalt and Red I prefer the Red. Definitely should give Black a try some day!

As I've mentioned I've decided to give desktop amp another chance so I'll go with this first and see how it goes. Will update you guys later LOL.

Thanks for the reply!

May 21, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #3,889 of 6,497
Ah yes my memory is coming back now LOL. I think I've talked to you about this before. Between reading tons and tons of reviews and impressions and my brain has all meshed together, but it's coming back again lol.

Funny how between Red and Black you prefer the Black. For me between the Cobalt and Red I prefer the Red. Definitely should give Black a try some day!

As I've mentioned I've decided to give desktop amp another chance so I'll go with this first and see how it goes. Will update you guys later LOL.

Thanks for the reply!
That being said, i already lost by Black before getting my Red
So i didn't actually a/b them. I just going by from memory.

May 22, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #3,890 of 6,497

Attachments

• chrome_2022-05-22_10-32-17.png
    chrome_2022-05-22_10-32-17.png
    416.8 KB · Views: 0
May 24, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #3,892 of 6,497
I’m looking for a very specific dongle. Currently I’m just using my A52 5g’s headphone jack, and its been pretty good tbh. Even for my HD650. But I need a dongle that has at least 2 volts (I use the 250ohm DT 770 and HD650 often) is plug and play with Android, (preferably no app) doesn’t need to deal with firmware updates, and doesn’t have that annoying auto adjusting power. As sometimes I use IEMs and I don’t want it adjusting based on what you plug in. Anything like that exist? Losing the headphone jack on phones has been so stressful.

I was thinking of getting a BTR5 or Qudelix and using them in DAC mode but I don’t wanna deal with apps or how clunky that setup is.

May 24, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #3,893 of 6,497
I’m looking for a very specific dongle. Currently I’m just using my A52 5g’s headphone jack, and its been pretty good tbh. Even for my HD650. But I need a dongle that has at least 2 volts (I use the 250ohm DT 770 and HD650 often) is plug and play with Android, (preferably no app) doesn’t need to deal with firmware updates, and doesn’t have that annoying auto adjusting power. As sometimes I use IEMs and I don’t want it adjusting based on what you plug in. Anything like that exist? Losing the headphone jack on phones has been so stressful.

I was thinking of getting a BTR5 or Qudelix and using them in DAC mode but I don’t wanna deal with apps or how clunky that setup is.

Questyle M15 fits your criteria to a tee.

May 24, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #3,895 of 6,497
May 24, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #3,896 of 6,497
May 24, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #3,898 of 6,497
hello guys

I opted for the apple dongle, I paid 20 dollars (welcome to Brazil)

I thought he was more fragile, not the most solid thing but definitely better than I imagined

I had a hd sonata II some time ago (it died early) so I can't make comparisons, but against the generic saber I was using the difference is easily noticeable

much more organic sound, wider stage, better separation

the generic besides having more strength, the stage seems to be deeper and the image better, but the apple set beats the generic by a good margin

moondrop ssr takes the dongle almost to its limit but still good,

thanks for the help friends

May 24, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #3,900 of 6,497
Thanks. And it’ll have full volume on Android? I always see people say you need UAPP or something for the Apple Dongle, but then I’ll see people say that all dongles don’t get full volume, not just Apple. So I don’t really understand which dongles do or don’t get full volume.

The M15 has no independent volume controller on the dongle, you will need to adjust the volume on the phone/laptop upstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back