USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 3, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #3,767 of 6,504
Hey sorry I have a dumb question, since I'm lazy so I'm not listening to my devices the "proper way" through wasapi, asio, bit perfect.......etc.

I literally just plug my device into my PC and listen through Spotify. I max Spotify volume to 100% and disable all the normalization, crossfade......etc. and set to highest quality.

Now my question is, for Spotify is 100% volume correct? I'm always under impression that just max Spotify volume and max Windows volume and you're good.

But lately I start to have suspicion that is 100% volume the "default" volume level, or is 50% volume the actual "default" volume level (in Spotify)?

What I mean is is 100% volume = how loud the source file is?
OR
50% is actually how loud it is and 100% volume is actually double (over amplifying) the source loudness?

I'm asking because I notice at 100% Spotify and 100% Windows volume there is always clipping (shown from my Equalizer APO), that's what stems my suspicion. Just wondering if anyone actually know?

Thanks!
Hi.
You are observing clipping in Equalizer APO - so is it used for any equalization? If it is used for EQ then another question - do you use negative preamp that compensate positive boost (if any) configured in EQ?
Normally I do not observe any clipping with 100% volume in Windows + 100% volume in Spotify windows app. But it appears just after I set-up a boost for any frequency... And disappear as soon as I set - following EQ rules - negative pre amplification to compensate boost.

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #3,768 of 6,504
Hi.
You are observing clipping in Equalizer APO - so is it used for any equalization? If it is used for EQ then another question - do you use negative preamp that compensate positive boost (if any) configured in EQ?
Normally I do not observe any clipping with 100% volume in Windows + 100% volume in Spotify windows app. But it appears just after I set-up a boost for any frequency... And disappear as soon as I set - following EQ rules - negative pre amplification to compensate boost.
Yeah I see it in their output thing which goes to red sometimes.

I have it open but it's turned to off so it doesn't apply any EQ also I have pre amp at 0 and all sliders at 0 so even if it's on it should not do anything.

If I apply a -2 db in pre amp then it doesn't clip anymore, but just thought it was weird it would clip at 100% windows volume and 100% Spotify volume with any EQ off.

Apr 3, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #3,769 of 6,504
Yeah I see it in their output thing which goes to red sometimes.

I have it open but it's turned to off so it doesn't apply any EQ also I have pre amp at 0 and all sliders at 0 so even if it's on it should not do anything.

If I apply a -2 db in pre amp then it doesn't clip anymore, but just thought it was weird it would clip at 100% windows volume and 100% Spotify volume with any EQ off.
Is this clipping problem appear only with Spotify? Is any other audio app affected similarly?
I've checked once again my setup and even with "volume level" set to "loud" in Spotify (and both 100% volume) and I don't see clipping in EqAPO.
Maybe it is related to your audio device drivers or Windows audio advanced settings? But in that case you'd also have problem with other audio players ...

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #3,771 of 6,504
Is this clipping problem appear only with Spotify? Is any other audio app affected similarly?
I've checked once again my setup and even with "volume level" set to "loud" in Spotify (and both 100% volume) and I don't see clipping in EqAPO.
Maybe it is related to your audio device drivers or Windows audio advanced settings? But in that case you'd also have problem with other audio players ...
That's a good point, I should try it with YouTube too to see.

THOUGH I realize one issue, I sold my W2 and W2-131 so now I don't device I can test LOL fail. My Dragonfly Red uses source volume to drive the digital pot so right now I only use 6% ~ 8% volume for listening volume and it doesn't clip. 100% volume would blow my eardrum out.

I guess I'll give it another shot once I get my Mojo 2 (which I'll use 100% volume and control hardware volume from device) will update you later, thanks!

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #3,772 of 6,504
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GB229TT

I need one of these for my iPad Air 4 and ATH-AD700. There are so many of them in the $10 range on Amazon. Last one I ordered didn’t work at all, I just ordered this one today. It appears to be Realtek based but it’s hard to know because the majority of them don’t list anything other than bitrate support, and little more than that.

Is there any way for me to test the specs? I assume I can plug it into my PC and check that way?

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #3,773 of 6,504

I need one of these for my iPad Air 4 and ATH-AD700. There are so many of them in the $10 range on Amazon. Last one I ordered didn’t work at all, I just ordered this one today. It appears to be Realtek based but it’s hard to know because the majority of them don’t list anything other than bitrate support, and little more than that.

Is there any way for me to test the specs? I assume I can plug it into my PC and check that way?
Hmmmmmmm as far as I know dacs don't tell you what the actual dac model from PC.

So there's really no way to tell, unless someone knows some trick to it then definitely let me know.

But anything in that price point is most likely Realtek chip yeah.......

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #3,774 of 6,504

ASR measured the Apple adapter.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #3,775 of 6,504
Hmmmmmmm as far as I know dacs don't tell you what the actual dac model from PC.

So there's really no way to tell, unless someone knows some trick to it then definitely let me know.

But anything in that price point is most likely Realtek chip yeah.......
Well I got it, it’s definitely Realtek and can output 384kHz/32bit on my PC so I assume it is ALC5686 which is a pretty good deal for $8. Sounds kind of bright to my ears. I did a direct comparison with the headphone jack on my T-MOBILE Revvl 5g and the dongle on my phone at the same time with an Apple Music hires lossless track and they both sounded exactly the same to my ears.

The equalizer on the iPad actually flattens out the sound a little bit with these making it less bright- I tried an “Atmos” track, honestly couldn’t tell much of a difference. At this point I’m not sure if paying more for a “better” dongle is going to matter with my cans.

I assume using this through the iPad and Apple Music will limit me to 44kHz even though the dongle itself can output 384kHz/32bit? I have it set to hires audio and have to admit it sounds amazing, Stevie Wonder’s Songs in the Key of Life is hi-res album.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #3,776 of 6,504
The race for the best DAC/AMP Dongle is still going strong and Moondrop is now giving it a boost with the Moonriver 2.
Find out all about the Moondrop Moonriver 2 and how it performs and compares, now on Headfonia! Article by @Aerosphere
https://www.headfonia.com/moondrop-moonriver-2-review/

1649140845624.png

Apr 5, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #3,777 of 6,504
Apr 9, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #3,779 of 6,504
For myself my own personal favorites CEntrance DACport HD and Ovidius B1 are pure SE
I am also leaning toward buying the CEntrance DACport HD. The only thing that bowers me is the lack of type-C. I think there's a high risk to easily break the micro USB port. @OspreyAndy, have you tested the DACport PRO yet? That's so strange people are not talking about it.

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #3,780 of 6,504
I am also leaning toward buying the CEntrance DACport HD. The only thing that bowers me is the lack of type-C. I think there's a high risk to easily break the micro USB port. @OspreyAndy, have you tested the DACport PRO yet? That's so strange people are not talking about it.
Thanks. For being the reigning champion of over 120 dongles I owned and extensively tested, DACport HD cons like being a Micro USB device (on the dongle side) is totally negligible. It is easy to find $2 USB-C to Micro short cables and bought myself 5 pieces of them just for good measure, and yet I am still using the 1st one and keeping the other 4 cables in storage. Just like with any devices regardless it is C, Micro or Lightning, if you are careful enough they will last. The sort of daily abuse I did to my DACport HD is no less taxing.

I have plans to get DACport PRO as well, soon. I am a total fan of CEntrance products now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back