USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #3,451 of 6,508
We can debate power for decades. My primary observation is that power output does indeed vary with impedance as stated above. But output at a given power rating also carries some baggage like distortion, noise floors, etc. One of my favorite old school audio brands is NAD, and they have pointed out that their 20 watt units can often put out more clean power in the real world than many 50 watt rated units. What I think is best is to see how reviewers feel about the interaction between the unit and attached headphones, IEMs, speakers, etc.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,452 of 6,508
We can debate power for decades. My primary observation is that power output does indeed vary with impedance as stated above. But output at a given power rating also carries some baggage like distortion, noise floors, etc. One of my favorite old school audio brands is NAD, and they have pointed out that their 20 watt units can often put out more clean power in the real world than many 50 watt rated units. What I think is best is to see how reviewers feel about the interaction between the unit and attached headphones, IEMs, speakers, etc.
That's true, but when a weaker source sounds better it's not because of power, but other reasons like you mentioned. These numbers provided are only for clean power without clipping, so there's no audible distortion, just check the sources to se exactly when they clip and the distortion levels.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #3,453 of 6,508
At which point am I wrong with saying KA3 is a 2 Vrms dongle? FiiO own specifications clearly indicated it is 2 Vrms and up to 2.7 Vrms on BAL:

https://www.fiio.com/ka3_parameters
Yes it can go up to 2.7 Vrms and that is still a region of 2 no?

And have you checked Tempotec E44 specifications? clearly it is a 4 Vrms device which makes is double the powerful than KA3 even on paper

And just because in my summary I said KA3 is a weak 2 Vrms dongle and not specifically mention 2.7 Vrms, now the the accuracy is questionable?
Don't take my words for it, your opinion seems already set on what you want to believe, get yourself an actual E44 and KA3 side by side and compare, while at it get also Questyle M12 and Ovidius B1 - both of which prime examples of 2 Vrms dongles, test them, and see if you are hearing which ones has the better drive for magnetic planars, we can discuss all day long on assumptions and theories but nothing beats the actual experience.

It is not my interest to convince anyone, that is not why I am doing this. I did what I did because it is fun.
Btw, I don't need to try a lot of dongles precisely because of people like you that reviews and give trusted opinions. I bought the Sonata HD Pro with the help of your assessments along with objective measurements, liked a lot. Then I needed balanced to drive a new planar, so I bought the Fiio KA3 without your input because you said you weren't doing it anymore. Today I read your review and it's describing exactly my subjective impressions. So another nice contribution to the community, I'm trusting even more your perceptions, but I just had to point out the mistakes about power, trying to clear things up, it can be complicated.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #3,454 of 6,508
hows fiio ka3 with planar?
I'm no longer considering it since i read that it have bright treble which will emphasize planar somewhat harsher treble.
I'm afraid it won't play well with my HE400i (2020)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #3,455 of 6,508
I'm no longer considering it since i read that it have bright treble which will emphasize planar somewhat harsher treble.
It's not bright and won't emphasize harsher treble, but if you're coming from a warmer source you might get the impression it's brighter when really is just being more neutral. Comparing to my MacBook the KA3 actually makes the treble less harsh. Don't expect sources to fix something you don't like about your headphone, it's better just to use EQ.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #3,456 of 6,508
It is not bright at all.
It is neutral and not harsh.
Enough power to run even the Sundara from the balanced output.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #3,457 of 6,508
Why noone buy Jcally JM10. I have it for the several months and it's gorgeos. I had dc05 and ka3 and i still think jm10 same good. I don't understand why i have to spend 50-80$ if i can make it 30$ like for jcally. So i just sold both dc05 and ka3. The only difference i heard between ka3 and jm10 is the first one getting deeper in highs and the second one - in bass. Same soundstage, same details for me.
And the thing i didn't like in ibasso and fiio is the battery drain. Plus ka3 is just HUGE in it's size and weight, dunno how u guys using it with ur phones in the street.

Attachments

• IMG_20220110_232205.jpg
    IMG_20220110_232205.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220110_232151.jpg
    IMG_20220110_232151.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #3,458 of 6,508
I don't understand why i have to spend 50-80$ if i can make it 30$ like for jcally.
because dc05 has 2 dacs inside and ka3 is balanced

The only difference i heard between ka3 and jm10 is the first one getting deeper in highs and the second one - in bass. .
try with headphones with higher impedance

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #3,459 of 6,508
Couldnt find it in the search bar so, has anyone tried the Acmee Magicsound VI yet? Specifically the AK version? :slight_smile: Now thats one I'm curious about.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #3,460 of 6,508
Why noone buy Jcally JM10. I have it for the several months and it's gorgeos. I had dc05 and ka3 and i still think jm10 same good. I don't understand why i have to spend 50-80$ if i can make it 30$ like for jcally. So i just sold both dc05 and ka3. The only difference i heard between ka3 and jm10 is the first one getting deeper in highs and the second one - in bass. Same soundstage, same details for me.
And the thing i didn't like in ibasso and fiio is the battery drain. Plus ka3 is just HUGE in it's size and weight, dunno how u guys using it with ur phones in the street.
You hunt for DC05 or KA3 to power some power hungry gear like headphone or scaling IEMs.

btw you have JM10, DC05, and KA3, what iem/earbud/headphone that you use on them?

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #3,465 of 6,508
FiiO KA3 review
...the price is a steal.
Must be a fact, given that "The review sample was kindly provided free of charge..." & "my honest and subjective opinion" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back