USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #3,421 of 6,468
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #3,424 of 6,468
Not even for a headphone with 35 ohm? Well, I guess I would have to try.
With 35Ω and normal sensitivity should be good but it can't push the larger drivers as some other dongles do.
Anyway it is perfectly understandable that people are hesitant in buying the Chronos because it is underpowered and expensive.
It is for people who like something from Violectric, made in Germany and with excellent sound quality for easy loads.

Jan 16, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #3,425 of 6,468
Zooaux is now discontinued on Amazon. I believe if I'm not mistaken that Andy has also pulled his recommendation due to the inconsistency of the various chips found inside.

Is there another $20 and under bang for the back adapter that will work well with my Note 20 Ultra? Thanks!

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #3,426 of 6,468
Zooaux is now discontinued on Amazon. I believe if I'm not mistaken that Andy has also pulled his recommendation due to the inconsistency of the various chips found inside.

Is there another $20 and under bang for the back adapter that will work well with my Note 20 Ultra? Thanks!
That is true, blatant change of DAC chips used on the very same chassis and without even making it informative to buyers made me disqualified the ZOOAUX from #donglemadness. However, thankfully another dongle by the name Xumee remained consistent and to me is the very best of ultra compact dongle out of over 30 odd units I tried and tested. Priced at just $9 it is understandable that many would be skeptical about Xumee, but the fact is, it performs way better than the price suggests

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #3,428 of 6,468
With 35Ω and normal sensitivity should be good but it can't push the larger drivers as some other dongles do.
Anyway it is perfectly understandable that people are hesitant in buying the Chronos because it is underpowered and expensive.
It is for people who like something from Violectric, made in Germany and with excellent sound quality for easy loads.
Is it really underpowered though? According to the marketing it is claimed that it can power demanding headphones offering 2x5 mW with 600 ohms load.

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #3,429 of 6,468
I know I'm probably looking for something that doesn't exist. But is there any usb dongle or portable amp/dac that can properly power my 600 ohm DT880? Any tips greatly appreciated.
Ehhhh I mean there are some really powerful portable device out there but I don't know 100% about 600 Ohm.

Like maybeeee Chord Mojo? Centrace DACPort HD? iFi iDSD Signature or iFi iDSD Diablo? Or maybe it's we're over thinking and it's not as bad as we think LOL.
Is it really underpowered though? According to the marketing it is claimed that it can power demanding headphones offering 2x5 mW with 600 ohms load.
Yeah the confusing part for me is that I have never come across any device that can't drive my 24 Ohm 103 dB/mW Denon D5200 or my 25 Ohm 106 dB/mW Denon D2000.

So I don't know if it's really Chronos can't drive full size cans or I just simply don't like how it sounds (ok maybe "don't like" is a bit harsh, more like for the price I think we can find device that drive them better).

But I also don't own any IEM so I might be missing something.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #3,430 of 6,468
Yes, these things confuse me too. I have a Schiit Vali2+ that I use with my DT880 600 Ohm. The Vali2+ is supposed to put out 200 mW at 600 ohm, but it does maybe 15-20% louder louder than my FiiO M11 of which I don't have the exact power output at 600 ohm, what I know is that it outputs 22 mW at 300 ohms. So there should be a greater difference. I still think that the FiiO manages to power the DT880 to a level of loudness I absolutely wouldn't cross.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #3,431 of 6,468
I know I'm probably looking for something that doesn't exist. But is there any usb dongle or portable amp/dac that can properly power my 600 ohm DT880? Any tips greatly appreciated.
I have a DT880 600 Ohm, one of the main criteria I extensively tested for #donglemadness is how capable they are driving stubborn magnetic planars and up to 600 Ohm dynamic drivers. Assuredly, CEntrance DACport HD (4.1 Vrms, 775 mW) and Apogee Groove (5 Vrms) being the most competent driving DT880 600 Ohm, at approx 90% fidelity as compared to when driven with iFi ZEN Stack of ZEN DAC V2 + ZEN Can (15.1 Vrms). Next in line are Cayin RU6, TempoTec Sonata E44 and Ovidius B1. These dongles has proven excellent driving power with that DT880. In fact all of the 5 Stars performers of #donglemadness has passed this test, you can check my article on them here:
https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #3,432 of 6,468
I have a DT880 600 Ohm, one of the main criteria I extensively tested for #donglemadness is how capable they are driving stubborn magnetic planars and up to 600 Ohm dynamic drivers. Assuredly, CEntrance DACport HD (4.1 Vrms, 775 mW) and Apogee Groove (5 Vrms) being the most competent driving DT880 600 Ohm, at approx 90% fidelity as compared to when driven with iFi ZEN Stack of ZEN DAC V2 + ZEN Can (15.1 Vrms). Next in line are Cayin RU6, TempoTec Sonata E44 and Ovidius B1. These dongles has proven excellent driving power with that DT880. In fact all of the 5 Stars performers of #donglemadness has passed this test, you can check my article on them here:
https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/
Thank you Andy. Much appreciated. Been reading a little bit now and then on your donglemadness site, but I must have somehow missed that criteria. I think you have a done a great job with it. I'm leaning towards the Centrance now, but I find the lack of USB-C disturbing and I'm very temtped by the Violectric Chronos instead. Would you say it can power the DT880 600 ohm to an satisfactorily high volume?

Edit: I saw now that the Chronos has not been tested by you yet on the donglemadness site. So if you haven't tried it, you can disregard my question.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #3,433 of 6,468
Thank you Andy. Much appreciated. Been reading a little bit now and then on your donglemadness site, but I must have somehow missed that criteria. I think you have a done a great job with it. I'm leaning towards the Centrance now, but I find the lack of USB-C disturbing and I'm very temtped by the Violectric Chronos instead. Would you say it can power the DT880 600 ohm to an satisfactorily high volume?

Edit: I saw now that the Chronos has not been tested by you yet on the donglemadness site. So if you haven't tried it, you can disregard my question.
No worries. No I did not plan to get the Chronos because the design and intent for Chronos is for highly sensitive and efficient IEMs. The specs back that up and I just don't want to spend that much money to get a device with such limitations. Perhaps one day I will test it. As I said, any of the 5 Stars Dongles I listed are more than capable, even Hidizs S9 is mind-blowingly great with super hard to drive stuffs

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #3,434 of 6,468

Yes, these things confuse me too. I have a Schiit Vali2+ that I use with my DT880 600 Ohm. The Vali2+ is supposed to put out 200 mW at 600 ohm, but it does maybe 15-20% louder louder than my FiiO M11 of which I don't have the exact power output at 600 ohm, what I know is that it outputs 22 mW at 300 ohms. So there should be a greater difference. I still think that the FiiO manages to power the DT880 to a level of loudness I absolutely wouldn't cross.
For high Z dynamic drivers it is about voltage swing and not power as expressed in mW.
The Chronos is the typical dongle 2V output and not sufficient for such headphones.
It is not only about loudness.
It is about grip of the drivers and the ability to keep powering on when the impedance of the headphone rises and this is usually somewhere at the bass resonances points.

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #3,435 of 6,468
For high Z dynamic drivers it is about voltage swing and not power as expressed in mW.
The Chronos is the typical dongle 2V output and not sufficient for such headphones.
It is not only about loudness.
It is about grip of the drivers and the ability to keep powering on when the impedance of the headphone rises and this is usually somewhere at the bass resonances points.
Power expressed in mW for different loads (impedance/resistance) actually effectively includes voltage capabilities of the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back