USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #3,316 of 6,468

I have just ordered the CX31993 USB Type C DAC to use with a MacBook pro as a DAC and line out to Drop THX 789 amplifier to drive my headphones and iems like HD6xx, 58X, 400i and LCD X has anyone tried this combo or any idea how it might sound ? Do I have to invest in a 100+ dollar DAC for the said amp or this dongle will do just fine ?​

Jan 2, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #3,317 of 6,468
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #3,318 of 6,468

I have just ordered the CX31993 USB Type C DAC to use with a MacBook pro as a DAC and line out to Drop THX 789 amplifier to drive my headphones and iems like HD6xx, 58X, 400i and LCD X has anyone tried this combo or any idea how it might sound ? Do I have to invest in a 100+ dollar DAC for the said amp or this dongle will do just fine ?​

What MacBook do you have, MacBooks usually have pretty good sound components build in. If you gonna use the music app or streaming apps, keep in mind, macOS isn’t bitperfect unless you use specific apps.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3,319 of 6,468
What MacBook do you have, MacBooks usually have pretty good sound components build in. If you gonna use the music app or streaming apps, keep in mind, macOS isn’t bitperfect unless you use specific apps.
I have the late 2016 15 inch touch bar model all usb c plus my phone uses type c connection only there's no headphone jack so it can be used with both....I have bought it already though it will take 3 weeks to get here.

I use Spotify premium for internet music and audirevana for flac and dsd. I have foobar as well

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #3,320 of 6,468
I have the late 2016 15 inch touch bar model all usb c plus my phone uses type c connection only there's no headphone jack so it can be used with both....I have bought it already though it will take 3 weeks to get here.

I use Spotify premium for internet music and audirevana for flac and dsd. I have foobar as well
Audirevana is great, unfortunately Apple Music isn't supported and I mainly use my iPad or iPhone.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #3,321 of 6,468
Audirevana is great, unfortunately Apple Music isn't supported and I mainly use my iPad or iPhone.
Yeah I am just not sure if this usb c DAC will be good enough for feeding the THX 789 I am also considering SMSL SU-9 but it's like 460$ for DAC only and it will end up costing 540$+ when it gets here so trying to avoid spending extra if this can get the job done

Jan 3, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #3,322 of 6,468
Apple dongle is amazing for the power consumpttion - less consumption than the internal DAC of Samsung S10.
I can drive all my IEMs (all under 64 Ohm) with the Apple dongle, and in blind tests surprisingly not much difference compared to $50'-$100 DACs (after all DAC is a DAC as the sound forum can teach us). My conclusuons are after spending/wasting almost $1000 on different DACs.
Many DACs are just coloured to be "different", one can do it for free with an equalizer, but understandably hobby is a hobby, and if someone can hear different cables beyond the expected resistivity difference - the power of imagination totally rules over pockets - caveat emptor :wink:
Ok ok ok. So you'd rather use the Apple dongle over the other $1K in dongles you have? Or do you have others you prefer to listen with more?

Which DAC dongles do you like the best?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #3,323 of 6,468
What is Endgame? it differs from one person to another. As I always been saying, taste and preferences ultimately decide what is best for the listener.

Having said that, for my own taste and preferences, yes CEntrance DACport HD is Endgame, after owning and extensively tested over 100 Dongles I can't find anything else that can compare with DACport HD when it comes to delivering wholesome package of sheer Class A amplification, analogue timbre, articulate technicalities, and adaptability for both highly efficient IEMs or the most stubborn Magnetic Planars. The closest thing to DACport HD is the Cayin RU6, they are pretty much similar sonic wise - of course with RU6 limited to 2 Vrms as opposed to DACport HD at 4.1 Vrms and 775 mW. Then there's still Ovidius B1 that I loved so much as well, for being ethereal sounding when paired with the likes of Etymotic ER series.

On the other hand, if portability is not your priority, you can absolutely opt to get the stacks of JDS Labs DAC+ and Amp+, or iFi ZEN Stacks of V2 and ZEN Can. Both of which capable of whopping 9 Vrms fidelity on the fly. I personally avoid anything from Topping as they seem to prioritize too much on measurements, and adversely lacking in musicality

Just my 2 cents.
Why should we trust you Andy? You listed 3 VE Clan dongles in your Top 5.

I own all 3 VE Clan but I would never put them in a Top 5 knowing there are much better dongles out there and you even heard 100 altogether.

Something doesn't sound right with your Top 5.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #3,324 of 6,468
Why should we trust you Andy? You listed 3 VE Clan dongles in your Top 5.

I own all 3 VE Clan but I would never put them in a Top 5 knowing there are much better dongles out there and you even heard 100 altogether.

Something doesn't sound right with your Top 5.
I am not doing this because I want you to trust me. I am doing this because it amuses me. A hobby to kill time. Much better dongles? My site is my domain and I never force anyone to pay any attention to it, have you read my Disclosures and forewords? How many time did I repeat the same words? #donglemadness is a subjective impressions from my perspective. You feel the need to discredit me, please feel free to do so and do your own Dongle Madness, then you can review and rank anything you like and don't like as how you please.

So I bought over 100 dongles because I want to discover what I like, and found what I like, I keep 6 of them and gave away the remaining 94 units, while doing that I share my adventures through my site. And suddenly now there's trust issues? what possible benefit will I get from doing this? I am poorer now that I am sure of, funding #donglemadness myself. The satisfaction I get is that I have the ones that clicked to my taste. Remember, #donglemadness is NOT a buying guide, that's the most repeated words pasted all over my site, if you care to spend actual time reading it before making your judgement

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #3,325 of 6,468
Ok ok ok. So you'd rather use the Apple dongle over the other $1K in dongles you have? Or do you have others you prefer to listen with more?

Which DAC dongles do you like the best?
I put together a summary of my subjective opinion.
Here is a link.
I did enjoy my DAC journey, similarly to how I enjoyed each and every KZ :)
But then my summary may help others to have even better experience :) :)

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #3,329 of 6,468
Tks, I'm already sastified with UA1 pro but after reading some reviews I'm just wondering if there is other dongle that give me Wow, a big different compared to Ua1 pro. :d
Big difference while remaining at this price point no, but a little better at certain parts and a little different sound presentation then yes.
As an example I prefer the iBasso DC05.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back