USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Oct 25, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #3,122 of 6,526
Very new, about a week on the market:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...io-adapter-ka3-is-officially-released.960238/
How competitive KA3 against Shanling UA2 and Hidizs S9 pro (all have the same chip) is to be seen.
Since Fiio got me hooked onto 2.5 balanced - 4.4 from them is a blasphemy to me and arguably just clumsy in this form-factor together with 3.5.

Same DAC chip, but different amplification circuits. Would be interesting to compare them head on to pinpoint the differences that variable is making.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #3,123 of 6,526
Same DAC chip, but different amplification circuits. Would be interesting to compare them head on to pinpoint the differences that variable is making.
And not only discrete amplification stage but also independent crystal oscillators and good power supply.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #3,124 of 6,526
Exactly!

I have UA2 with Rico amps - surely unique; and Fosi HD3 pro with SA927 - definitely a brutal side of the implementation of 9038, and ESS in general ( I was really looking for "brural", and am very happy with it for comparative purposes).

K3A has OPA (1612?).

So amps are definitely more of an influence since in a chain they are close to the ears (a simple good rule).

But then DACs matter as well, since the very least they have standard implementations.

For DAC chips, I realized AK with it "velvet" sound of upper-end chips is really not my cup of tea (had to return Hidizs S9, could be defective though) and budget AK series feel really plain...

I have quite a bit of CS43131 implementations (three Tempotecs, DC04), love the low background and power, yet some "sterility/overcleanliness" is there to my limited taste.
My CS43131-based favourites are E44 and BHD (I love the soft implementation of BHD by the contrast, it works great for me with all- BAs and cheerfully V-shaped IEMs).

I am more of an ESS fun, perhaps an acquired habit (my good old DAP based on good old 9018), love BTR5.

So now I am looking for one more 9038 implementation - likely Hidizs S9 pro ( I could not find their amps, likely ESS-based(?)) or possibly
YIN LU MEI S3lite SE1- not much information is out there in addition to S3lite/SE1 confusion. So if anyone can chime in on
YIN LU MEI S3lite SE1- that would be great.

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,125 of 6,526
Is there any dongle other than FiiO BTR5 that supports in-cable microphone audio passthrough? I'm looking at one to move away from my wireless setup, but that'd be a must-have feature and I unfortunately can't find any...

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #3,127 of 6,526
Ifi Go Blu.

Thanks! Wouldn't the voice go through a built-in mic there, though, instead of the one in the headphones' cable (we're talking about a standard, 4-part CTIA/OMTP 3,5mm jack here)? Also, I'd kinda like to keep it as simple (without BT) and have as few devices to charge as possible...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #3,129 of 6,526
Hi, got HiBy fd3. Works, music was bad out of box, had to play with official app eq settings. With Ultrasone headphones it became too deep. After adjustment it was ok. Sound is good. Only issues noises sometimes when connected to pc - electrical wire scratching after some time connected, and for some reason only center button works now. Never tried to fix it. will see. Anyone knows how deep ultrasone ed 8 ex pads are? would like to get instead of signature pro. ear tips start to hurt after two hours. Wanted fd3 to compare with burson to see if its worth it.

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #3,131 of 6,526
Is there any dongle other than FiiO BTR5 that supports in-cable microphone audio passthrough? I'm looking at one to move away from my wireless setup, but that'd be a must-have feature and I unfortunately can't find any...
Qudelix 5K...

it can be set to use built-in mic or from your phones mic..

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #3,133 of 6,526
I'm wondering if anyone here can shed some light on this Cirrus Logic chipset:

CS46L41-CWZR

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089M895ZB makes use of it and to my ears sounds quite good. Easily drives my KSC75 and ER2SE. I tore one down just to be sure that the chip inside matches the one that JSAUX lists and the data printed on the chip does say CS46L41-CWZR.

I'm trying to find out how the datasheet measures against the CS43131-CWZR but I can't find a datasheet for the CS46L41-CWZR anywhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back