USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Nov 2, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #3,136 of 6,468
Already ordered.
Been looking for Dragonfly Red replacement, either hidizs s9 pro, Link 2 Balanced, or this Fiio K3 will be the candidate.

KA3 unlike BTR5 is a single DAC unit, yes? what is this built in dac?

Ha8d53321824d43c4ab37238760f244fdM.jpg
Hd6ab1fa6f4ae4af5943204f8fd8ffac8g.jpg

H54b9f6e2bc7841b9920b7fc653f3fd4fk.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #3,137 of 6,468
Been looking for Dragonfly Red replacement, either hidizs s9 pro, Link 2 Balanced, or this Fiio K3 will be the candidate.

Yeah... Weird. It must be an AMP chip dedicated to each output I guess, something related to this ideia

Nov 2, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #3,138 of 6,468

Me too I've been trying to upgrade out of Dragonfly Red forever but something about Dragonfly Red just makes female voices and string instruments sound so good. While all the newer dac / amp are leaning towards neutral which isn't my preference.

Currently I'm looking at either Luxury and Precision W2, Violectric Chronos and KA3 intrigue me too.

Though so far I still can't find any review on Violectric Chronos.

As for the KA3 I read somewhere it's a mis-translation, it's suppose to say built in amp.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #3,139 of 6,468
Heads up for anyone looking for a top notch (ES 9038Q2M) dongle with balanced output:

Fiio KA3 is selling for $70 on 11.11 in AliExpress. It's this price only on the JadeAudio Official Store.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN8ScMK

I'm stuck wondering whether to get this, the UA2 or to cough up a bit more for the highly touted S9 Pro... $20 is a pretty big difference in price tho...

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #3,140 of 6,468
Me too I've been trying to upgrade out of Dragonfly Red forever but something about Dragonfly Red just makes female voices and string instruments sound so good. While all the newer dac / amp are leaning towards neutral which isn't my preference.

Currently I'm looking at either Luxury and Precision W2, Violectric Chronos and KA3 intrigue me too.

As for the KA3 I read somewhere it's a mis-translation, it's suppose to say built in amp.
The A&K Pee51 has a rich DFR like sound, only more precise and dynamic. Less neutral than the W2 and more fun than the bland S9.

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #3,141 of 6,468
The A&K Pee51 has a rich DFR like sound, only more precise and dynamic. Less neutral than the W2 and more fun than the bland S9.
LOL this is the best answer ever!

Funny I was looking at at PEE51 before but somehow one review site call them "analytic" then I was like nah I don't want that. Then I started looking at other options.

But another user mentioned "I wouldn't call it analytic" and now you mentioned this so I definitely think I should give it another shot. :)

On a side note, this is not the first time I've heard people call S9 "boring" LOL.

Thanks again!

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #3,142 of 6,468

I have the Violectric Chronos. I struggled to find reviews of it too. I've actually never heard the DFR so can't make any comparisons on that front. But the Chronos is an interesting beast. Whenever I listen to it, at first it sounds a little thin, kind of like it's lacking in body or slightly one-dimensional. But after a minute or two of adjustment my ears settle in. So that may sound like a criticism or that I don't like it - but quite the contrary, I keep going back because it has this fantastic clarity in the mids and treble. It's not bright, so much as just clear, and there's no sign of sibilance. In fact, it handles tracks with problematic treble better than the PEE51 I have here. It can also have a very interesting texture and timbre with things like toms and bass drums - it's quite punchy in the bass, and the sense of 3 dimensional space combined with tonality of toms makes drums rolls a treat.

So yes, it's kind of ... different. I struggle to think of another DAP or similar I've had that has quite the same tuning. PEE51 is much more of a full-bodied, euphonic type sound. I actually just picked up a Questyle M12 - which arrived today, so still pretty fresh - and that too has a fuller bodied sound than the Chronos, but is different again from the PEE51.

In all honesty, the three of them are all pretty impressive. I intend to only keep one - okay, maybe two :wink: - and it's going to be pretty hard to pick a favorite. Amazing how far these tiny thumb-drive sized devices have come, and how close they get to replicating the sound quality of a reasonbly-priced DAP. In fact, I'm selling my PS and DX120; they do some things better than the dongles I have at hand, and I do prefer keeping music and phone separate, but when a dongle comes so close for so much cheaper, it's hard to justify keeping hold of them. So I think it's DAP days are over for me (for now). I'll use one of these paired with a desktop amp when at home, then unplug it and tail it to my phone for use on the go.

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #3,143 of 6,468
I have the Violectric Chronos. I struggled to find reviews of it too. I've actually never heard the DFR so can't make any comparisons on that front. But the Chronos is an interesting beast. Whenever I listen to it, at first it sounds a little thin, kind of like it's lacking in body or slightly one-dimensional. But after a minute or two of adjustment my ears settle in. So that may sound like a criticism or that I don't like it - but quite the contrary, I keep going back because it has this fantastic clarity in the mids and treble. It's not bright, so much as just clear, and there's no sign of sibilance. In fact, it handles tracks with problematic treble better than the PEE51 I have here. It can also have a very interesting texture and timbre with things like toms and bass drums - it's quite punchy in the bass, and the sense of 3 dimensional space combined with tonality of toms makes drums rolls a treat.

So yes, it's kind of ... different. I struggle to think of another DAP or similar I've had that has quite the same tuning. PEE51 is much more of a full-bodied, euphonic type sound. I actually just picked up a Questyle M12 - which arrived today, so still pretty fresh - and that too has a fuller bodied sound than the Chronos, but is different again from the PEE51.

In all honesty, the three of them are all pretty impressive. I intend to only keep one - okay, maybe two :wink: - and it's going to be pretty hard to pick a favorite. Amazing how far these tiny thumb-drive sized devices have come, and how close they get to replicating the sound quality of a reasonbly-priced DAP. In fact, I'm selling my PS and DX120; they do some things better than the dongles I have at hand, and I do prefer keeping music and phone separate, but when a dongle comes so close for so much cheaper, it's hard to justify keeping hold of them. So I think it's DAP days are over for me (for now). I'll use one of these paired with a desktop amp when at home, then unplug it and tail it to my phone for use on the go.
Yeah I find that's the tricky part, with this kind of things sometimes you just have to hear it to know, it's hard to describe with words sometimes.

But definitely much appreciated on your review haha!

I'm still bouncing between the fence on whether to get a desktop unit (Burson Playmate 2/Conductor 3) or between PEE51 or Violectric Chronos. Though now that you added Questyle M12 into the formula I'll read into it too LOL.

Everytime I feel like I'm closing in to make a decision I find something new again, I guess it's the fun part of this hobby LOL.

Though between the 3 which do you find has the best and closest female voice (I hate distant / veil sounding voice) and string instruments (guitar, piano, violin)?

Thanks again!

EDIT: I guess to describe DFR, there is a boost to mid bass and sub bass, and female vocal so I'm guessing somewhere between 2k~6k range? The result is that the mid bass make things sound more warm and full and the boost in vocal range makes female vocal sound front and centre. Also guitar string just sounds rich. But it's an old product so it loses out in clarity and layering lol.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #3,144 of 6,468

I have DFR and my impression of it is, it sacrifice clarity for richness. It have warm, full bodied voice.

I think my Dragonfly black have better clarity and better (or more) bass for sure, its super awesome to be used for movies. it have great synergy with my ATH-M40x.
but for gaming, soundstage if DFB is limited to left and right without center image so there is that problem.

but to me, DFR kinda sacrifice too much clarity or way to warm for me. its been awhile since i used it as i replace its my daily driver duty with BTR5.
BTR5 from start have better much better clarity and with it better imaging and the 2.5mm out is just *chef kiss*

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #3,145 of 6,468
I have DFR and my impression of it is, it sacrifice clarity for richness. It have warm, full bodied voice.

I think my Dragonfly black have better clarity and better (or more) bass for sure, its super awesome to be used for movies. it have great synergy with my ATH-M40x.
but for gaming, soundstage if DFB is limited to left and right without center image so there is that problem.

but to me, DFR kinda sacrifice too much clarity or way to warm for me. its been awhile since i used it as i replace its my daily driver duty with BTR5.
BTR5 from start have better much better clarity and with it better imaging and the 2.5mm out is just *chef kiss*
LOL I'll admit you might be right, I think I've just been using it for so long so I don't think about it anymore.

Now I'm trying to look at other options but it's so hard to decide. It's like they're all good options so it's hard to pick just one.

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #3,146 of 6,468
Now I'm trying to look at other options but it's so hard to decide. It's like they're all good options so it's hard to pick just one.
Its a very good problem to have, mate.

Fiio usually will give you more "cleaner" sound than DFR.
But usually its more to neutral, so if you like fun sounding things, wetter sound, or warmer source you might to look elsewhere.

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #3,147 of 6,468
Its a very good problem to have, mate.

Fiio usually will give you more "cleaner" sound than DFR.
But usually its more to neutral, so if you like fun sounding things, wetter sound, or warmer source you might to look elsewhere.
lol my choices are constantly changing I find.

I originally wanted W2 or Chronos but now it sounds like PEE51 or M12 might have richer sound, which is more to my preference these days lol.

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #3,148 of 6,468
lol my choices are constantly changing I find.

I originally wanted W2 or Chronos but now it sounds like PEE51 or M12 might have richer sound, which is more to my preference these days lol.
M12 is a great choice. Among many ESS Sabre based Dongles I have extensively tested, I will account Apogee Groove, Hidizs S9 Pro, REIYIN DA-Plus, E1DA 9038SG3 and ASUS ROG Clavis being the best. However M12 gets my final vote being the only ESS Sabre DAC/Amp that really does it with great overall delivery, it is amazingly rich sounding compared to the native signature of most ESS (which many perceived as bright and lean). PEE51 on the other hand is just colored and euphonic, I love that too for the fun factor. And yes, rather than spending stupid money on W2, get ASUS ROG Clavis instead which is the cleanest sounding unit with true neutral timbre, Even REIYIN DA-Plus is superior to W2 in all aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back