USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jul 3, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #2,596 of 6,421
I got the apple one for my oneplus 7t and the volume doesn't go high enough. There must be ones that don't have a dac so they use the phone's built in one? Anyone got a list for these?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #2,597 of 6,421
Apple what now?

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #2,598 of 6,421
I got the apple one for my oneplus 7t and the volume doesn't go high enough. There must be ones that don't have a dac so they use the phone's built in one? Anyone got a list for these?
From what I've gathered this is the good one from Apple with a dedicated DAC:

Apple USB-C to 3.5mm
Model: mu7e2am
Cirrus Logic DAC chip (CS42L73)

I think it does 30mW into 32 ohm, that might not be powerful enough depending on what headgear you're trying to drive.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #2,600 of 6,421
Jul 3, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #2,601 of 6,421
the apple USB-C dongle doesn't really work well with android phones. their output are severely limited on android phones. They were made for iPads after all when Apple starting using USB-C for iPads. They work great on those devices and Macs though. IIRC OP7T support passive adapters as well (those without DAC) by utilising the internal (most likely the bog-standard qualcomm one) DAC. But if you plug in a dongle with a DAC, it will use the DAC from the dongle instead. Anyway, can't really give much recommendations since I haven't tried that many, but I thought the JCALLY JM04 Pro is pretty nice. Cheap, sounds decent, and well built. I think it sounds better than the Google dongles at least (both v1 and v2). If you read up more in the thread, you'll probably find more recommendations. :thumbsup:

Jul 4, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #2,602 of 6,421
Apple uses customised CS46L06, I only wrote that CS42L73 has similar properties...

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #2,603 of 6,421
the apple USB-C dongle doesn't really work well with android phones. their output are severely limited on android phones. They were made for iPads after all when Apple starting using USB-C for iPads. They work great on those devices and Macs though. IIRC OP7T support passive adapters as well (those without DAC) by utilising the internal (most likely the bog-standard qualcomm one) DAC. But if you plug in a dongle with a DAC, it will use the DAC from the dongle instead. Anyway, can't really give much recommendations since I haven't tried that many, but I thought the JCALLY JM04 Pro is pretty nice. Cheap, sounds decent, and well built. I think it sounds better than the Google dongles at least (both v1 and v2). If you read up more in the thread, you'll probably find more recommendations. :thumbsup:
this is the only thing I've been able to find that is passthrough. if anyone knows of others especially on amazon please post them, thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-CAAP-StrikeLine-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B07HM7VN23

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #2,604 of 6,421
I am not sure if this fits in this thread, normally I always carry a spare IEM, just in case I forget the one I use normally.
So I forgot my good ones when going somewhere.
Of course I had my spare headphones with me. But my current phone doesn't accept 3.5 mm headphones, so I looked for a solution, went into an electronics shop, looking for a dongle, didn't find what I wanted, but saw this Samsung USB-C headphone, so decided to go with it.

Samsung usb-c earphones.jpg

The sound quality is OK when listening to interviews (that would be only voice), that was fine.
But I can't recommend it for listening to music, then it sounds bad compared to the Headphones/Dongle I normally use (Etymotic ER-3XR with Ibasso DC-03).
So for emergency earphones it is fine, but not for permanent use.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,605 of 6,421
I would still highly recommend the Creative SXFI Amp.

https://uk.creative.com/p/super-x-fi/creative-sxfi-amp

Obviously the SXFI part is useless but as a USB-C Dongle DAC/AMP it's fantastic. Supports up to 24/96 only and no MQA (lol) but that's absolutely enough for me! Power wise it seems like it would power anything. Absolutely dead silent noise floor with sensitive IEM's. 0.2 ohm impedance.

It's a nicely built little unit. With its own DSP chip it also has its own volume control (rather than controlling Androids output), and a nice set of playback controls. EQ can also be applied in software and saved to the dongle.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #2,606 of 6,421
I would still highly recommend the Creative SXFI Amp.

https://uk.creative.com/p/super-x-fi/creative-sxfi-amp

Obviously the SXFI part is useless but as a USB-C Dongle DAC/AMP it's fantastic. Supports up to 24/96 only and no MQA (lol) but that's absolutely enough for me! Power wise it seems like it would power anything. Absolutely dead silent noise floor with sensitive IEM's. 0.2 ohm impedance.

It's a nicely built little unit. With its own DSP chip it also has its own volume control (rather than controlling Androids output), and a nice set of playback controls. EQ can also be applied in software and saved to the dongle.
Does this work for both IEM's and full size headphones?
What audio formats does it support?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,608 of 6,421
The link to Creative's webpage should answer your questions quicker than I could to be fair. Plus you can also buy from there 🤣👍
I had a look at the website, a lot of commercial mumbo jumbo promoting the thing.
No doubt a good device when you want watch movies with surround sound via your headphones.
I don't see the usefulness when you want to listen to music on your phone, so I stick to my Ibasso DC-03.
If I want to listen to music with surround sound on my phone, I will get some binaural albums (difficult to find) which don't require a special DSP dongle.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #2,610 of 6,421
Great thread once again. Read "only" through the last couple of pages though. Can any of these hold up against a cheap portable dac/amp like the schiit fulla? I don't need a dongle perse, just want a cheap option for at work etc.
The Onyx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back